Free Online Beer Chemistry Course

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I took the final by mistake. Was going through the assignments to double check scores and see what I needed to pass and I hit the wrong button and I was in the final! I flunked it, but luckily I still ended up passing the course. I was going to study tonight and Friday, but I guess now I'm free to brew more beer!

SCHOOOL'S OUT FOR SUMMER!! I received a 16 on my final. What does that mean? An 80%?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Finally finished. Not sure what happens now. I'm sure or at least pretty sure I passed. Celebrating with a nice home brew.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Done. Overall, the course was challenging and rewarding. It's interesting how different it is when you're taking a class that you are actually wanting to learn or are interested in the subject matter versus a class where you're being forced to take it.

How do you figure your final grade from the final exam? I got a 16?

I know each test was normalized to 20 points, and the scoring on the final seems to be scaled likewise. I am not sure if it is being weighted any differently from the rest of the tests. If they are all weighted equally, then the total of your scores divided by 180 would be your final percentage.

I believe you are correct. I had thought I got that one right, though it is graded as 'incorrect' (the answers that is) and now that I look up the answers, they are correct.

I missed three on the final. Two dumb misses and the one grad-level chem.
Pretty interesting course overall. Glad I took it.

Done! Missed 2 on the final. Waiting to see how my final grade will be computed. Dang browser crashed mid stream but reopened to the test. Had to start all over, no stress there!

Congrats to everyone who made it all the way through :mug:

I too finished the final. I only missed one! The bio and organic chem was a bit over the top for me but I did learn a lot. Thank goodness for open book exams.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I missed 1, #9. I reviewed all the questions and am pretty sure they were all recycled from earlier quizzes or tests.

Does anyone know if they're doing this course again?

I am pretty sure they will. A few weeks into the course Dr Morvant said he is considering adding a unit on the chemistry of water to the course the next time it runs (in response to a suggestion along those lines).

I am pretty sure they will. A few weeks into the course Dr Morvant said he is considering adding a unit on the chemistry of water to the course the next time it runs (in response to a suggestion along those lines).

That's good to know... Thanks! I hope I can attend the next session.

On my account under the "Grades and Performance" under "Course Grade" near the top, it says "Not yet entered".

Has anyone actually got their course grade yet or are you all still waiting final confirmation. I come within a hairs breath of passing, but didn't. So I am hoping the delay in getting the final grade is due to some recalibration currently underway and I get the badge!

I keep checking and my account says the same thing. Probably a bit busy at this time of year grading the paying students in time for graduation/end of semester. You should give yourself a badge for just completing the course. I'm not sure just how many stuck it through to the end. It was tough for me those last four weeks between job, farm and other commitments, so I went into the final without having the time or inclination to study (I was the same way back in college some 30 years ago, old habits must die real hard). I did manage to do OK and am just glad to have completed it.

I keep checking too and the grades have not been finalized. It probably is a busy time for the professors and I'm sure the paying students get priority. Hopefully we'll get our final grades and a "badge" soon.

I've not received a grade either. They haven't re-scored the final either as question 17 was incorrectly marked as wrong where my answer was correct.

I've not received a grade either. They haven't re-scored the final either as question 17 was incorrectly marked as wrong where my answer was correct.

My score was corrected a few days ago, the test was not.

They mean like a token or mini diploma or something that says we are baddass nerd beer brewers. I definitely want something I can post on Facebook to brag on. It would be good for the beer class with all the free advertising. I'm not even certain of my final grade. C'mon with my diploma! I paid good money for this course! Er, eh lol

I know what a badge is but is it a badge on Untappd? I've never seen badges on Facebook. Just curious.

I took the whole class, didn't study a lick (only watched the videos, nothing else), but was a day late on the final as I had a beer release at the Tap and Bottle that weekend. Somehow I managed to not miss any of the assignments. I'm still waiting on the final score but this badge business has me curious...

I completed everything, but was 1 day late on almost every assignment. The cutoff were Sunday nights and Monday nights were always the most convenient time for me. Maybe I'll get the "dollar short" badge.

This is all anyone knows about the badge. An email from Dr. Morvant mentioned it. Here is a copy of the email:

Dear Chemistry of Beer students,

Only one thing left to successfully complete the course, the Final Exam. The Final Exam will open at 12:01 on Thursday, May 8 and be available until 11:59 pm on Saturday, May 10. It will be 25 questions and cover the breadth of the course.

Here is my recommendation of preparing.

Review the Learning Outcomes for each Unit
Review the Self-Assessment and Quizzes for each Unit

If you can remember why you got the quiz questions correct, then do a light review. If you got it wrong or can't remember why that is the correct answer, then you need to go back to content and get more in-depth. If you say to yourself "where did that come from", then look at the learning outcomes, go back to the text and videos, spend sometime on that topic, try the self-assessments again, and ask questions.

I have been very impressed with your dedication. Just one more step to get your badge.

Teachers only succeed when their student when their students learn. Looks like y'all have been learning a great deal.

Thank you,

Dr. Morvant

Dr. Morvant posts here maybe he will respond. I heard he was more active on twitter with updates but I don't twatter. Any twitter followers see any badge info?

Not just for 12 year olds. College professors use it too. He responded to my tweet and said that the final grades are having to be done by hand and it is going slow. But they're working on it. "Soon" was the last word.

Dr. Morvant's comment on the Janux forum:

"Getting the final code finished on the Badges. Also grades should be input soon. We will get you something to show off"

I like the "show off" part of it :)

Back