Free Online Beer Chemistry Course

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to get this short bus badge too it seems like since nobody is providing details about this badge. How hard is it people?

"Badges" are now being awarded by some universities and colleges in place of college credits for some courses where the student is asked to demonstrate competences outside of the formal curriculum and where the course is not a constitutive component of any degree program. So, for example, people successfully completing a MOOC (massively open online course) may be awarded a badge in place of college credit.
A badge tells the rest of the world that the study is college level and the award of a badge tells the world that you successfully demonstrated the desired outcomes. To the best of my knowledge the badges awarded are virtual (digital) not material.

I just finished the last couple units and the final exam. Anybody have an idea of how long it could take before I get my final grade?

You had to get a 70% to pass the course. No info on the mysterious badge, except that it'll be ready in a couple of weeks max.

Got a 93.2 but there was a mix and match that wouldn't work for me. I posted my answer in a feedback and hoped they correct it. Oh well, only 3 points difference.

All in all, it was a fun experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

"81.0 B" here and I'll take it. I did put some work into it, but the chem side would have required a lot more work to get my grade into the 90s. But hey it was free! And I learned a ton.

I didn't get a badge either..but then again half the time I was drinking a beer, had my girls hanging and playing all over me while trying to take the tests...hard to get quiet time anymore unless it's real late in which I'm freakin' tired. OH well had some good stuff in there.

I absolutely loved the course, but I kind of like biochem anyways...got a 93.7. I hope to take it again when the water chemistry portion is added.
I want a badge!

I didn't pass but this is my very first chemistry attempt. Everything was so new to me. But I did learn a lot and if I were to take it again I think I would deff do a lot better.

Failed. I never took a chemistry class before. I did fine on the brewing questions, but I could not wrap my brain around the chemical concepts.

personalised school badge graduation_2014.jpg

Where did you receive the badge? Email, or loggin on to the Janux site? I haven't gotten anything yet.

83.5 here. The grad level chem was definitely my stumbling block, too. I took some 100 level chem at the community college about 23 years ago, but I pretty well forgot most of it.

I finished at 85.2. The last month was difficult with time commitments, but I managed to get everything done. My hats off to anyone who made it all the way through, regardless of their score. It was a challenging class for non-chemists. It has been 30+ years since I took Organic Chem and it sure cleared out a few cobwebs from the corners of my brain...

Is that the actual badge in your post ?

No. Just something to make me feel better after taking a class for six months. I was there for every class, listened to every video and tried to understand the chemistry of the situation. In the end I studied notes, Wikipedia and still failed. I had no general chemistry knowledge.

The key is did you learn something(s) to help your brewing process?
Congrats on sticking w/ it and finishing!

No. Just something to make me feel better after taking a class for six months. I was there for every class, listened to every video and tried to understand the chemistry of the situation. In the end I studied notes, Wikipedia and still failed. I had no general chemistry knowledge.

Same here, no chemistry knowledge going in, got a 68 (D) for the ending grade.

Failed. I never took a chemistry class before. I did fine on the brewing questions, but I could not wrap my brain around the chemical concepts.

Don't feel bad. i failed too. the chemistry was just a little over my head. but i did learn and really enjoyed doing it.

I'm going to have to retake when it is available again, life got in the way sucks cause I was so close to finishing too, I missed the last three classes I think

I got an email today which said, if you got at least 60% and did all the classes, you will get a badge. Please, no comments on the spelling. :eek:

Text of the letter:

Dear Chemistry of Beer students,

I hope all of you enjoyed the course. It was a pleasure and honor to be your guide through the journey into the chemistry of beer.

If you completed the course....

BADGES!

You should receive an e-mail notification announcing your receipt of a badge in the next few days. The criteria for receiving a badge was successful completion of the assessments with in the course with a 60% or above.

Badges will be viewable within your Janux profile page and (soon) it will be possible to export the badge to a Mozilla Open Badge Backpack. If you are unfamiliar with Mozilla Open Badges, it is a recognized system that allows you to earn, issue, and display badges across the web. You can learn more at http://openbadges.org.

I appreciate your patients while we worked out the final details on the badges.

If you weren't able to complete the course....

It (tentatively) looks like we will be offering the course again in August. Based on feedback and research, we are planning to offer the course as an 8-week course. Once everything is finalized, I will let you know the details so you can help spread the word.

Sincerely,

Dr. Morvant

^

Yeah, same here, I saw where you could link it to your Facebook account, etc......But I have no clue what to do with it yet........

Badges for the course have been released. You can go to your profile on Janux or check your e-mail.

This was a great course to teach and I really appreciated the dialog on the forum. We will be putting your feedback to good use as we develop the course offering in the Fall.

Thank you, Dr. Morvant

Back