Forum question: rules regarding the Recipe Database?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schol-R-LEA

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have tried posting to the recipe database in the past, unaware that there were specific requirements to the recipes to be posted there. These were, naturally enough, moved to the recipes forum. I do not have a problem with this, but it has led me to wonder if there is a rules page explaining what qualifies for the recipe database and what does not.

Just how does a recipe get to be considered sufficiently established? Is a single successful brewing enough, or does it have to be successful in multiple batches? Who determines if the beer is sufficiently successful? Does it have to be brewed by more than one person to be considered? Some clarification could be helpful, even if (as I suspect) none of the beers I have made would qualify at this point.

In addition to the guidelines posted in the forum: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f57/recipe-posting-guidelines-108410/,

we ask that the recipes been proven and repeatable. For example, if someone says, "This came out good but next time I'd try....." or any other tweaking, then it probably isn't perfect yet.

It doesn't necessarily have to have been perfect in multiple batches, as I think of something like a sour that takes a couple of years and that would make posting recipes tough- but something that you can hold up and say, "Yes! This recipe is great and I think you need to try it exactly as written!" as a guideline for posting.

My rule of thumb is: If you haven't brewed it yet, then don't post the recipe to the data base. It's easy to make up a recipe, but quite another to make a good beer.

Ah, this is exactly the sort of answer I was looking for. Thank you.

Of course, it does leave me in a bit of a bind as I have never repeated a recipe so far, and the only one I feel is worth repeating without modification is Peccavi EIPA - that one turned out almost perfect, and I think that the recipe as given is fine (except the use of 5.2, which I have moved away from), all the improvements I could make in it are in technique. I will wait until I have repeated it at least once before I suggest it for the database.

Let me be a bit more forthright: I hereby lay out a general request for others to try the IPA recipe linked to above. It would greatly ease my mind to know that the success of the last batch wasn't a fluke, and I won't be able to brew it again myself for at least another month... Besides, I am more than sufficiently egotistical to want others to try my recipes. :p

Back