Under-attenuation ever desirable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 338926

Reaction score
I made a batch of Kolsch a while back. It's my go-to beer that I always try to have on hand. Now, not to place blame on anyone, but on Brew Day my neighbor came over and brought some homemade Spirits we will call it. 158 proof, and of course to be a good host, I am compelled to try it. Not that I'm a great judge but it was certainly not bad. From what I can recall anyway.

So the boil continues and the late additions are completely eliminated. No yeast nutrient, no whirlflock, no kick carrageenan tablets, no (edit DAP, not dms), but by a happy coincidence I didn't forget the late hop addition, as this recipe has none. I did somehow manage to turn the gas off. I never pumped oxygen in which is a every batch process for me. The ended up in the fermenter and the lid ended up on it. It also got an airlock. Success!

The beer worked okay but it certainly didn't attenuate as the recipe calls for. My intent was to make a all day beer anyway so being 3.8% didn't bother me a bit. It did have very nice aroma. It was certainly not clear though it was mostly a chillhaze. Quite frankly it's a recipe simple enough that it's hard to screw it up to where you wouldn't want to drink it. It was still pretty good.

So the next weekend I decided to correct any potential problems and brew at a more reasonable blood alcohol level. I wasn't sure how the first batch would turn out but I wasn't interested in waiting two additional weeks for the next batch if it did not. When everything was complete, batch number two was clear, attenuated properly, had maybe a little less head retention but not much and still beautiful lacing. It was closer to 5% with a mash temp within a half a degree of the previous batch. The first was 148.5F and the second was 149.

So a number of people had tried the first batch and it got rather rave reviews. Once the second batch was done I made it a point to have those same people try the new batch and even a few I had try it side by side. Now both beers were very good, but to a man, every single person including myself liked the first beer better. Most of the people tried it a week apart or so. I'm going to say there were eight different people who tried both.

I did not cold crash either of these beers. But I suspect if I did I could have cleared the first one pretty nice. It never did clear and there wasn't any appreciable gunk on the bottom of the kegs. So it didn't have a lot of suspended solids, it just had chill haze pretty bad. I'm not positive but I don't think this style is supposed to be cloudy at all. If it tastes good I don't generally care but I do sort of like my beers too have the proper characteristics for the style. They often do affect the flavor.

So has anybody else ever had a beer they were contemplating not doing their best to give the yeast it's best environment in order to produce something like I did here by mistake?

Last edited:
Never done that on purpose,but when they don't come out as intended I change the style name. So your first beer I would call a Keller beer,and the second a Kolsch.

Never done that on purpose,but when they don't come out as intended I change the style name. So your first beer I would call a Keller beer,and the second a Kolsch.
Well that's a good point, I suppose if I search long enough there's probably a style that fits it. :)

So has anybody else ever had a beer they were contemplating not doing their best to give the yeast it's best environment in order to produce something like I did here by mistake?
All grain brewers do this all the time. They choose the mash temperature to get the desired fermentability, either making a dry beer by mashing low or a sweeter or "chewier" beer by mashing high.

They even choose yeast strains that cannot process longer chain sugars leaving them behind for body and even residual sweetness. New England IPAs, for instance...

Cheers!

Well that's what happened here was it had a slightly sweeter finish. It wasn't offensive by any means, the difference really was subtle. There was less alcohol but that wasn't as easy to pick out as I would have figured.

I made the same beer a third time last weekend but I again used all the usual additions. I begin using all the yeast nutrient and oxygen and dap because it just made the results much more predictable. I made a kit Porter today and I cut back on the yeast nutrient and nitrogen. Maybe that'll be a good compromise to try on the Kolsch next time. Old habits are hard to break and I didn't start using all that stuff because it produced bad results.

I've never made an NEIPA. I'm not even sure they existed back when I brewed before. LOL

All of my under-attenuated beers get labeled as Worry Wort ____ as I get obsessed on trying jump start the fermentation before finally concluding the obvious and packaging.

All the targets and ranges you find in recipes or BJCP style guidelines are just that; targets and ranges.

It's possible that your "under" attenuated beer still has ABOUT the right balance for the style, albeit at a slightly elevated mouthfeel. It's also possible that the beer is almost objectively too sweet for the style by the pallet of a certified judge. The key is knowing your audience. If you make something everyone likes. Write down what you did and then do it again as close as possible.

It's also possible that the beer is almost objectively too sweet for the style by the pallet of a certified judge.
I'm sure this was the case. Commercially made Kolsch I've had is spot on to the stuff I call "properly" attenuated.

Half of my third batch is carbing up now and will get tapped as soon as the last keg of batch 2 kicks. I've not been curious enough to even try it, other than tasting the hydrometer sample. That was encouraging as being between the last 2. I shall see.

Well, not so much unlocked, more like stumbled into. And I mean stumbled in the literal sense. Wow, that was a rough brew day.. :D

Back