First trub dump in Minibrew = Huge mess

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Addicted

Reaction score
So i brewed a Black Ipa last night,and fearing the trub coming out slow or being stuck i decided to dump tonight.Well it would not come out,so i sanitized a thermometer probe and decided to give it a little help by sticking it in the bottom valve and loosening the trub,mistake.After a min of poking the trub came flying out along with a quart of wasted beer.All over the walls and floor.Sticky!.Any tips on how to dump the trub with these things?..Also do you think i lost too much yeast?..Kind of wishing i stuck with glass carboys at this point.

I don't have an answer, but i'll buy the conical! It's junk anyways, probably not worth much. :)

_

Any tips on how to dump the trub with these things?..Also do you think i lost too much yeast?..Kind of wishing i stuck with glass carboys at this point.

1. Yes, use more care when dumping the yeast.

2. No, there should be plenty of yeast left to get the job done.

Next time use a bucket below the valve to catch the discharge. Mishaps like this are how we learn. I am fairly sure you will never, ever have a similar incident as long as you live.

@ Catt22,i will use more care lol,but nothing would come out,just a slow trickle of beer.I waited about a minute or more.

I did have a catch pan too,but it came out like a garden hose lol.

@ Catt22,i will use more care lol,but nothing would come out,just a slow trickle of beer.I waited about a minute or more.

Next time, wrap a bar towel or something similar around the valve while you push a probe through the muck. Using three hands, hold the towel while you withdraw the probe and close the valve after you clear the obstruction.

Is this the 6.5 gallon size? Maybe you used a highly flocculant yeast that made a dense plug? Or maybe you put a 5 gallon batch in a 15 gallon size (less weight pushing down). I have a 15 gallon with a 1" valve, and have never had a plug stick with 10 to 12 gallon batches. On the other hand, if it sticks again, I would just leave it alone and not poke around. It won't hurt anything by leaving it there.
Dave

6.5 size 5 gallon batch.Wyeast 1272.

Does anyone know wether or not i need to block light from hitting this fermenter,or is the plastic enough?

I always cover mine just to make sure. An old towel with a safety pin is fine. I use a grill cover on my 15 gallon! :mug:

Dave

Very soft mallet, rubber is useful to tap the sides of the bottom of the fermenter to help loosen the trub. Or just the palm of your hand helps break things up a bit. I used to use the V Vessel for fermenting and that method helped things dump easier.:eek:

Back