Grainy Trub with WLP300

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vetal

Reaction score
Hi .. I brewed my first Hefeweizen using a combination of Bavarian Wheat DME and LME. I use WLP300 yeast for this batch. I also used a brand new Grainfather conical fermenter & pressure transfer kit.
I had created a yeast starter and pitched about 1.5 quarts into a 5 Gallon batch. I had also TRIPLE cleaned my fermenter and sanitized it before I poured the wort into it. After 3 weeks of fermentation - my SG was stead for 3 readings - so I decided to keg it using my pressure transfer kit. Before I did my transfer - I decided to dump some yeast to allow the dual valve to get clear beer.
1) When I used the dump valve - very little yeast came out. After doing the pressure transfer - when I opened the fermenter - I saw a highly compacted layer of trub at the bottom of the conical which I had trouble getting out even after pressure hosing it. What concerns me more is that the trub was "grainy" - not the smooth slurry I have seen in the past. It seemed to have a lot of solid large particle matter in it. Is this normal for wheat beers using WLP300?
2) At the top of my fermenter - there was a thick (approx 2 inch) ring of black krausen - as if the krausen had been burnt onto the fermenter wall. It also took a bit of scrubbing to get it off. I did not see any signs of infection (soft fuzzy matter) and the beer seems to taste like a hefeweizen.... lots of banana. This seems to be happening in some steel fermenters - but the pictures I saw had a very thin line compared to mine. Should I be concerned about this batch? How will I be able to tell that the beer is infected? I will Carb it and take a sample to see how it tastes in a week.

Thanks all.

Is this normal for wheat beers using WLP300?
No, not in my experience or anyone else's that I've seen. It's a low floc strain. . ... So, not really sure what's going on with that.

Should I be concerned about this batch? How will I be able to tell that the beer is infected?
The blackness on the other hand is "normal" for new stainless. Maybe the cleaning wasn't as thorough as you thought. No one has resorted any taste issues from it, though, so I wouldn't worry.
Aside from mold (which is unlikely), a contamination wouldn't be black.

Back