first hefeweizen, how does it look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BA_from_GA

Reaction score
ok, this will be my first hefeweizen. got a rough idea of ingredients, but would love some tips on mash schedule/temps.

5 lb Belg Pils (belgian because it's what i have available)
4 lb Ger Wheat
1 lb Munich (just because.... bad idea?)

hops
1 oz 4%aa whole leaf Tettnang @ 60 min for ~12 ibu

WLP 380 yeast.

Thinking of adding some bitter orange peel and cloves, any thoughts on that?

I'm not a big wheat beer drinker, and have only made 2 (one honey wheat, one agave wheat). I liked both quite a bit, so i'm working on using the rest of the sack of wheat malt i've got. Any tips would be appreciated.

I would do a protein rest at about 122 for around 30 minutes to help avoid a stuck mash. I've added bitter orange peel to a wheat and it turns out great; haven't used cloves, so I can't comment on them.

I'd keep the munich in there; a different touch for a wheat.

I just did a hefe...no reason for a protien rest just use rice hulls to keep from gettin a stuck sparge...
I'd split the hops ..half at 60 and the other half at 15..
As for the clove I would do what Hokie said and let the yeast add that just make sure to keep the temp in the mid 60's for that...just my .02

you'll get cloves from the yeast, as hokie says. don't add; it might be overwhelming. the munich won't hurt, but isn't necessary. looks ok though (without the cloves). ferment around 68-70, and you'll get plenty of cloves and some banana. the higher the fermentation, up to about 73-74, the more cloves

I'd drop the Munich to 8oz, add a pound of Wheat. Add a 1/2 pound of rice hulls. And do a Decoction mash.
I'd also use Wyeast 3068. By Far the best Wiezen yeast there is.

I weighed out and milled my grain for this last night, and will brew tomorrow. Went ahead and upped the wheat, but left the Munich. I also added .5 oz of tett at 15 min which upped IBU to 14.4. And I'm scrapping the cloves. Really hoping for some stron bananna esters, so I guess I'll under pitch and let the ferm temp go I to the low 70's?

I'm gonna skip the decoction/stepped mash on this one, solely due to time constraints Saturday, but I'm planning a weisenbock soon that will be my first decoction.
Thanks for the input.

I guess you're not step mashing on this one, but it seems like a lot of folks use a ferrulic adic rest (111F @ 5.6-5.7 pH) to draw more clove flavors.

Good or not 380 is what I've got (3 mason jars washed from a previous batch.) we'll see how it turns out.

nothing wrong with that, I prefer 380 myself. IME its low on banana, but YMMV. I imagine if you go as planned and bump the temps it'll get you some

Good or not 380 is what I've got (3 mason jars washed from a previous batch.) we'll see how it turns out.

Just curious - have you used your washed hefe yeasts with good success? Someone was commenting that you should use washed hefe yeast (I am going ot try it anyway).

Just wanted to get some personal experience on how the beer turned out if you washed it.

Thanks!

Needs more wheat (minimum 50%). I like the munich in there.

Also I've washed wheat beer yeast before, did not have much success. Just wanted the same, esters were just not there.

The munich almost makes it a dunkelweizen.

Could not disagree more. Even munich 20l, the color would probably end up in style. Randy Moshers hefeweizen recipe uses a pound of munich. Use munich 10 and the color would perfect. Its a bavarian beer, munich malt i think is appropriate, either that or carahell.

Could not disagree more. Even munich 20l, the color would probably end up in style. Randy Moshers hefeweizen recipe uses a pound of munich. Use munich 10 and the color would perfect. Its a bavarian beer, munich malt i think is appropriate, either that or carahell.

Hence the term "Almost" if its Dark munich 30L or Cara Munich 60L it would change the color. But true if its munich 10 or 20 it would stay in style.

Jaimez said:
Hence the term "Almost" if its Dark munich 30L or Cara Munich 60L it would change the color. But true if its munich 10 or 20 it would stay in style.

Well, you said almost a dunkel, not almost out of style, so thats why i took exception to it

Well I called it washed yeast, but in actuality it's just a pint of slurry from a previous batch. Will be the 2nd or 3rd time I've use it. Every time with good success, but never for a "to style" Hefe.

Back