American Stout How dare you? - American Session Wheat Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miraculix

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This one is a very nice American Session Wheat Stout. Never heard of it before? American Session Wheat Stout? No?

...me neither.

So I think I invented it. It is very roasty with a firm bitterness (but not over the top teeth-melting bitterness) and nice piny and dank american hop charcter. On top, a really nice head which stays forever because of all the wheat . One of my favourite stouts so far. And the best is, you can have a few of them and still walk straigt because of the lower abv. This one is a winner.

Let me know if you brew it!

American Session Wheat Stout

Brew Method: BIAB
Boil Time: 30 min
Batch Size: 18 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Gravity: 1.042
Efficiency: 81% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.042
Final Gravity: 1.011
ABV (standard): 4.11%
IBU (tinseth): 34
SRM (morey): 30

FERMENTABLES:
1.4 kg - Pale Wheat (46.7%)
1kg - Maris Otter Pale (20%) (any pale malt should do)
0.4 kg - Blackswaen Black W (13.3%) (midnight wheat)
0.2 kg - Crystal Light - 45L (6.7%)

HOPS:
10 g - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 9.5, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 13
10 g - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.6, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 13
30 g - Chinook, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 11.6, Use: Whirlpool/hopstand for 30 min at 85 °C, IBU: 4
30 g - Centennial, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 9.5, Use: Whirlpool/hopstand for 30 min at 85 °C, IBU: 4

You can add 1.5-2.5 g of each of the hops per litre as dry hop. This would suit the beer very well.

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temperature, Temp: 56 C, Time: 15 min, Amount: 18 L, Protein rest
2) Temperature, Temp: 70 C, Time: 60 min, Amount: 18 L
3) Temperature, Temp: 77 C, Time: 15 min, Amount: 18 L, Mashout

If you do not feel that fancy, single infusion @ 68 C for about 60 minutes should also do the trick.

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
2 g - Gypsum, Time: 0 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Mash
3 g - Calcium Chloride (dihydrate), Time: 0 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Mash

Keep your water a bit minerally, more towards sulfate than chloride.

YEAST:
Lallemand - LALBREW® NOTTINGHAM HIGH PERFORMANCE ALE YEAST
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 80%

Ferment at about 20C for 7 days.

IMG-20221029-WA0002.jpg

Last edited:
You might be the first to make an American version in that classic American craft version that stuffed extra C hops in the recipe. I might have to break your heart that you aren't the first to come up with a wheat stout. I have a recipe from All About Beer from like 2010 I've been meaning to brew ever since I found the recipe, but twelve years later it still hasn't made it in rotation.

You might be the first to make an American version in that classic American craft version that stuffed extra C hops in the recipe. I might have to break your heart that you aren't the first to come up with a wheat stout. I have a recipe from All About Beer from like 2010 I've been meaning to brew ever since I found the recipe, but twelve years later it still hasn't made it in rotation.
Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

...... Ok, then I am the first who sessionized it maybe? Or the first German who made one? So it might be the very first German-American-Session-from somebody-who-lived-five-years-in-UK-and-thinks-he-is-the-mighty-special-beer-inventor-Wheat-Stout.

This is final.

Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

...... Ok, then I am the first who sessionized it maybe? Or the first German who made one? So it might be the very first German-American-Session-from somebody-who-lived-five-years-in-UK-and-thinks-he-is-the-mighty-special-beer-inventor-Wheat-Stout.

This is final.
Well, you're the first person I've ever heard that's brewed this. So you've got that going for you.

I’ll begin petitioning the BJCP. If there can be 25 different IPA’s, I don’t see why this can’t be a style.

Latest posts

Back