First go at Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nobody on the planet makes a good cider in under a week.
(regardless of some on here whom might make such a ridiculous claim)
IMHO you shouldn't be serving any cider at all under a months age.
Don't throw it out. Bottle it. Let it age. Taste it no sooner than a month from now. Make more now so it can get to aging.

I would almost be willing to put money on doing it, but it would mean fermenting it fast and warm, cold crashing, filtering, and then sweetening it with apple juice concentrate, then kegging.

It might be possible! (But really, you're right - beer is faster than cider by a long stretch!)

You would get off flavors and fuesels galore from hot fermentation.
That would prevent it IMHO from being a "good cider" in under a week.
I mean this may be splitting hairs but if one were in that big of a hurry,
the absolute fastest way is.....
step 1 - buy apple juice
step 2 - pour it into vodka
step 3 - drink.
But we all know that's not why we are all here.
:)

I forgot to measure the starting gravity. Just looking for a ballpark.

I just measured it after 9 days on Nottingham Ale yeast and it was at 1.022 I assume it has a ways to go but I am hoping that is much less than starting gravity.

I forgot to measure the starting gravity. Just looking for a ballpark.

I just measured it after 9 days on Nottingham Ale yeast and it was at 1.022 I assume it has a ways to go but I am hoping that is much less than starting gravity.

Prob 1.040-1.050 without adding sugar.

Without energizer/nutrient the yeast may work slower than you are expecting. If you have bread yeast, put one Tablespoon into 1/2 cup of water and bring to a boil, (microwave is fine), let cool and add to cider. The dead yeast will become food for the live yeast. Happy cidering!

without energizer/nutrient the yeast may work slower than you are expecting. If you have bread yeast, put one tablespoon into 1/2 cup of water and bring to a boil, (microwave is fine), let cool and add to cider. The dead yeast will become food for the live yeast. Happy cidering!

+1

3 weeks in. 2 weeks in primary and 1 week in secondary. Secondary was spilt into 2 one gallon glass jugs. Today my wife added peaches to one of the glass jugs. Hoping it turns out. Other is very clear and ready to backsweeten and bottle.

Just tasted it for the first time after kegging, and chilling. Surprised at how much it tastes like white wine. Dried out a lot. Am going to backsweeten by the glass until I find the proper ratio.

Another thing, its been under CO2 for over a week and hasn't carbed up really at all. I didnt do the "30psi and shake" thing but I figured under 10psi with some time I would at least get a few bubbles.

Does it take longer to carb up? I am force carbing with CO2 in a keg.

Without getting too much into details....
There are a lot of `x` factors.
CO@ seeks an equilibrium within its confined space both inside liquid and gaseus areas the same.
If your keg is filled to the top, there is little room for CO2 to be introduced to the area.It slowly will be absorbed into the fluid allowing for more room in the airspace for CO2. I personally have found that the carb will be low at first even if waiting a week for it to carb up and then increase as the keg gets closer to being empty.

I makle no claim at all to being good at "line balancing" but i will say that your cider being undercarbed will pass as you consume it.

Carbonation is temperature dependent, too. Look at a chart and try to make sure you're balanced.

Back