Treating cider before backsweetening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fixerman

Reaction score
My initial post must have been too long, as it received no replies, so I’ll keep this one short.

After pressing, I treat the cider w/ campden, pitch yeast the next day, then let it sit in my 58° basement for 3 mos with no racking. I then treat it with K-sorbate, rack it to a keg, backsweeten with maple syrup, force carb, and bottle in swing caps. I’ve had excellent results with this approach but have learned that I should treat with both K-sorbate and campden before backsweetening. Can I rack the cider into kegs first then treat or should I treat while the cider is still in carboys as I have been doing? My concern is not wanting to disturb the lees. I know I could rack to another carboy first, but would like to avoid this extra step if I can.

If I can add the treatments after racking to the kegs, should I let it sit at basement temps for a couple of days before backsweetening, or put the kegs in the fridge?

Thanks! -Rich

1704633786526.png

I've only fermented a couple of gallons of cider, and pasteurized with heat.
I don't think it matters much whether you treat your cider in the keg or the carboy.

Back