Apple cider stupid questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heksa

Reaction score
I have apple cider from own pastorized apples, M02 yeast and nothing else, i did not measure the juice but there is app. 10% of sugar in it as measured earlier. It has been bubling some time. I have changed it to other bottle add some apple juice and remove yeast from bottom. So it is still bubling but starts to be quite slow.
As understood the taste will be much better if I leave it un bottle with airlock on for some time like 1 month? Would it be better to keep it on room temperature or cold cellar? I have no need to have cider clear but more taste is always good.
When bottling I have added small amount of apple juice to bottle instead of sugar. If gave some bubbles + quite a lot foam.

Last edited:
After it's done fermenting you can bottle at any point without changing the taste. You'll get more yeast sediment in the bottles if you bottle early, but that's about the only difference. I would, however, keep it in a cold cellar if you have that option (I don't, so I'm stuck with room temperature and it's still good).

After it's done fermenting you can bottle at any point without changing the taste. You'll get more yeast sediment in the bottles if you bottle early, but that's about the only difference. I would, however, keep it in a cold cellar if you have that option (I don't, so I'm stuck with room temperature and it's still good).
Thanks and merry Christmas. Im living in Finland, we have here snow and polar bears. Finding cold place is not a problem. My garage in on +7 C.

After active fermentation there may be unwanted flavors/odors for a number of reasons (Temp? Nutrient? Ingredients? Yeast strain?). Allowing the cider to condition over time will help to remove some or all of the unwanted characteristics (CSB: “Time heals all brews.”). This can be done by bottle conditioning (in a sealed container) or bulk conditioning (in an unsealed but airlocked container). I prefer bulk conditioning because I feel that it more easily allows for off gassing of suspended gasses.

As this conditioning is also an act of the yeast cleaning up the byproducts of fermentation, I try to keep the yeast within their temperature range. If I chill my cider at this point, the yeast would slow down and conditioning might never complete.

I don’t always allow for conditioning on ciders, but I've noticed fewer unwanted odors/flavors when I have done so. It won’t fix all problems, but in my ciders it tends to help.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back