Fermentation upright freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

instinct2

Reaction score
Today was the big day of using our new fermentation freezer with a 12 gallon batch of Oktoberfest. Hooked up the Johnson control 419 last night and everything seemed to be working correctly. Loaded the carboys in this morning and closed the door. Went out three hours later to find the freezer not working. I unplugged the Johnson control and plugged the freezer straight to the wall and still the compressor won't turn on. The frigidaire 20.6 digital display still works, interior light works, but it's not giving a high temp reading and clicking the compressor on. Is the sensor inside the freezer bad? Did the Johnson control screw something up with electronic's of the freezer? Thoughts anyone? I threw the carboys in my keezer, until I get this figured out...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Could the Johnson control be hard wired to override the computer display and internal sensor? Have it run solely off the Johnson a419?

Hopefully the OP left the freezer plugged into a functional outlet sans A419 long enough to allow the freezer's anti-short-cycle delay to expire...

Cheers!

A compressor has three leads: common, run, and start.
The common ground, is usually White, the Black lead is usually the run or "hot" lead, and the start lead is usually Red. If you can sort out the wiring diagram, bypassing the built in controls, you should be good to go.

Hopefully the OP left the freezer plugged into a functional outlet sans A419 long enough to allow the freezer's anti-short-cycle delay to expire...

Cheers!

I'm sorry but I don't understand what your saying... If I did whatever your stating how do I fix it?

I'm sorry but I don't understand what your saying... If I did whatever your stating how do I fix it?

Many if not most compressor-equipped appliances have a device that prevents "short-cycling" the compressor. It's essentially a timer, often with a fixed 5 minute duration, that starts ticking when the compressor shuts off. Until those 5 minutes expire, even if the thermostat is calling for "cold", the compressor won't get power. So if you didn't give the freezer enough time before unplugging it you'd never know that it was/might actually be ok.

fwiw, nearly all of the external/add-on controllers (including the A-419) have the same function, usually adjustable...

Cheers!

Many if not most compressor-equipped appliances have a device that prevents "short-cycling" the compressor. It's essentially a timer, often with a fixed 5 minute duration, that starts ticking when the compressor shuts off. Until those 5 minutes expire, even if the thermostat is calling for "cold", the compressor won't get power. So if you didn't give the freezer enough time before unplugging it you'd never know that it was/might actually be ok.

fwiw, nearly all of the external/add-on controllers (including the A-419) have the same function, usually adjustable...

Cheers!

Ok, but how go I reset this? I've unplugged it multiple times and plugged in without using the a419. Still nothing...

There's no reset, you just leave the thing plugged in long enough to expire. So if you've left the freezer plugged in and turned on for more than 10 minutes I doubt that an ASD is what's keeping it from turning on. Unless that's the thing that died...

Cheers!

Could I cut the thermistor off and wire the two wires directly together? Let the a419 control the coolness then?

Also how would I check to see if the capacitor is bad? Is there a chance that a419 blew the capacitor with turning the freezer on and off?

If you post the model number for your freezer someone might just take a look for a wiring diagram and come up with bottom-line test of the compressor, just to get you off Ground Zero...

Cheers!

Back