Upright Fridge Doesn't Turn On

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikeMan

It ain't all burritos and strippers, my friend.
Reaction score
I've been using an upright fridge as a fermentation chamber for a few years. This morning, the external controller indicated that it's "on," but the fridge wasn't running. Dead silent. The light inside the fridge is still working, so I know it's not the external controller. Unplugging and re-plugging the fridge has no effect. What should I check? I'm thinking compressor relay or internal thermostat. Anything else? TIA!

Last edited:
I think you're on the right track. Make sure the oem thermostat is actually passing current along - or jumper it out.
Then you can check out the start relay and overload protector - there are youtube videos easily found for that.
If you can determine that either is bad you can pick up a "3 in 1" start relay/overload protector/start capacitor for under $20...

Cheers!

What floppy said. I do not normally mod or jumper out the stock thermostat. I set it to the coldest setting. At times I noted the same issue. Its in defrost mode. Couple of options.
Let it time out and then it will go back to cold. BUT the fridge will warm up a bit due to the defrost heater.
There is control module underneath somewhere around the compressor to the front of the fridge. I disconnected the power to the module when it was in cold mode. Problem is the coils might frost over a bit until the external control shuts off.
Some of the control modules are a clock motor, there is a hole or slot on the case, insert a screw driver and turn the dial until the compressor starts.
I have 2 fridges going one with a disabled defrost time and one I just let it run the cycle.

Back