Fermentation temp Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akinsgre

Reaction score
I am brewing a Lager using White Labs 840 (American Lager). The bottle suggests a temp of at least 70degF to start fermentation.

The recipe I'm using calls for 14 days of fermentation at 55 - 58degF

In this case should I start the fermentation at 70 and then drop to 55 once it fermentation starts? Or is the different because the the recipe calls for (Wyeast 2272 North American Lager )?

There are two schools of thought. If you're confident your yeast is healthy and numerous enough to complete fermentation, you can pitch at fermentation temps. If you're worried about your yeast's viability, vitality, or count, pitch warmer, and starts slowly dropping the temp after fermentation is under way.

I recommend starting with a lower temp and allowing it to eventually rise to a diacetyl rest when ready, as a lot of the flavor profile is created within the first few days of fermentation (time you may spend lowing the temp). As Nateo mentioned, proper yeast viability and pitching yeast count is essential when using this method in order to guarantee you reach your estimated final gravity.

use pitching rate calculator on mrmalty.com to create an appropriate starter. IMO that should be your first priority if you're making a lager. After that research various lager fermentation schedules. Pitching at high temperatures is a compromise technique that is intended for homebrewers who are not pitching the appropriate yeast count.

Thanks. I created a starter and it's healthy. My wort is at 72degF now. Sounds like I'll probably be safe pitching now and just putting in my fridge allowing fermentation to start as the temp drops.

Back