Cold ipa yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyoung1833

Reaction score
Whitelabs says the suggested fermentation temp is 50-55 degrees but the kit instructions suggest 59 degrees

Interesting question... White Labs should know best, but in theory the writer of the instructions tried things and prefers it outside the norm temps. Or did they, maybe they made a mistake or make crappy beer.

I kinda sorta doubt you'd even tell a difference to be honest. That said I'd go with the White Labs recommendation, on the higher end perhaps to get closer to the kit instructions. Also, setting something in the middle or a given range may simply be a good place to start.

To the extent that choosing a fermentation temperature for a lager yeast can be a balancing act between sulfur and esters, a traditional lager can be good with a little more sulfur and a little less ester, and a cold IPA is just the opposite.

But these are strong flavors here and a few degrees is probably not going to make a difference.

I know it’s a kit, so I blame them instead of you. I’m puzzled why anyone would choose anything other than 34/70 for a cold IPA.

My plan was to use 34/70 but my local home brew shop was completely out which is why I'm going with wlp830. I thought they were supposed to be the same strain though. I could always wait for them to get it in or order online and use the 830 for something else.

My plan was to use 34/70 but my local home brew shop was completely out which is why I'm going with wlp830. I thought they were supposed to be the same strain though. I could always wait for them to get it in or order online and use the 830 for something else.
Ah, missed that similarity. If it is indeed similar to 34/70, I would ferment at 64-68 F.

To the extent that choosing a fermentation temperature for a lager yeast can be a balancing act between sulfur and esters, a traditional lager can be good with a little more sulfur and a little less ester, and a cold IPA is just the opposite.

But these are strong flavors here and a few degrees is probably not going to make a difference.

I know it’s a kit, so I blame them instead of you. I’m puzzled why anyone would choose anything other than 34/70 for a cold IPA.
I would also throw Novalager in for consideration. Very clean fermentation that will really let the hops shine, and definitely no sulfur showing up.

I've fermented a good bit with WLP830 here recently. It does just fine warm. My ferments were in the 64f - 66f range and they came out clean :)

Back