Element Suggestions for 120V eBIAB setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that was the problem. I took the off and it looks so much better. Test is tomorrow and hope that is the fix if not I'm brewing on my stove I have an empty keg lol

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Update. It was the extra washer on the outside causing the leaks. I am cuttingly mashing in my first eBIAB thank you

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395589954.627013.jpg

How long it take to boil? I'm just now looking into an electric system and this is the first I've heard of 120v elements being used. Would be excellent to be able to plug into existing sockets. I'm beyond interested in hearing about your results.

How long it take to boil? I'm just now looking into an electric system and this is the first I've heard of 120v elements being used. Would be excellent to be able to plug into existing sockets. I'm beyond interested in hearing about your results.

IME 3000 - 4000 watts (2 elements 1500 - 2000w each) works well for up to 10 gallon batches, boil times are reasonable, guessing 20 - 40 minutes depending on wattage and batch size.

2 elements at 2000w each will do a 5 gal batch quickly but will require 2, 20 amp circuits, and will also work for 10 gallons but be on the slower end....like 40 minutes. 2 elements at 1500 each will work for 5 gallon batches, mash to boil in about a half hour.

I have never timed it, just guessing here but the heating times are reasonable IMO.

I have two 1500w and it boiled in maybe 40 min. On avg it was going 10deg every 3min 30sec

madcore, good to hear the issue got fixed. Welcome to e-brewing. It sounds like those elements worked out nicely. They're the same ones I'd linked to earlier right? The 1500W LWD ones?

madcore, good to hear the issue got fixed. Welcome to e-brewing. It sounds like those elements worked out nicely. They're the same ones I'd linked to earlier right? The 1500W LWD ones?

yup the same ones. The only thing im not fond of is to use the fauls bottom that I am I had the angle the element and the are touching making the ends hard to clean off but this set up make brewing in it so easy Ill take the trade off.. now I need to add a ball valve to drain my pot and get a chiller so i dont have to dump my wort into another pot to cool over night :( but one step at a time.

One thing i found is i left one plugged in once i hit 154 the temp i planned to mash at....my temp prob was in the grains I stirred it and all the sudden ti showed a temp on 164 and stayed there after i unplugged both for my 90min mash....literately dropped maybe one or two degrees in 90mins so this beer might not be the best it could of been but just and excuse to brew again :)

and no Im not using a controller trying to keep it as cheap/easy as possible

One thing i found is i left one plugged in once i hit 154 the temp i planned to mash at....my temp prob was in the grains I stirred it and all the sudden ti showed a temp on 164 and stayed there after i unplugged both for my 90min mash....literately dropped maybe one or two degrees in 90mins so this beer might not be the best it could of been but just and excuse to brew again :)

and no Im not using a controller trying to keep it as cheap/easy as possible

More brewing is always a good thing. To avoid that problem, just make sure your giving your strike water a few stirs when your getting closer to your mash temps so everything evens out and it's accurate.

More brewing is always a good thing. To avoid that problem, just make sure your giving your strike water a few stirs when your getting closer to your mash temps so everything evens out and it's accurate.
I was but thought If i only had one unplugged the other would hold the temp or it would move slow enough i would see and unplug the other, but the one left pluged in heated really good still. One will hold a slight boil both you get a good boil running. so for now on once i hit my mash temp and grains are in both unplugged for the mash time should solve the only real problem I had with the brew day

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395687604.827832.jpg
That's what it looked like with both elements on

Latest posts

Back