Wiring 120V PID to 240V Heater - Am I Gonna Die?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skeeter686

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking for some confirmation regarding my plan to use a 120V Inkbird IPB-16S PID temperature controller to power a 240V, 5500W heating element. I don't think I'm going to kill myself or the PID, but I'm sure there are folks more experienced than I on this forum. :)

I've purchased a kettle with the aforementioned 240V / 5500W heating element, and it comes with a 240V controller and L6-30 plugs for connecting the two. I don't yet have an appropriate 240V outlet installed (haven't even really laid out the new brewery area), but I'd like to start using this for better control of mash temperatures. I bought the Inkbird controller and I've wired up a cable with a L6-30 receptacle on one end and a regular household 120V plug on the other, so that I can connect the Inkbird to the heating element.

I wired it like this:
L6-30120V Household Plug
GroundGround
XNeutral
YHot

My understanding (based on the Internet, so it's gotta be correct, right?) is that for a heating element, this should be adequate.

Also, based on my memory of some electrical formulas from high school, I'm calculating that the power this heater would draw at 120V should be 1375W, which is within the operating limits of the Inkbird and the cable that I used.

Does this seem reasonable?

I'll be monitoring it for the first couple of uses, but I'd prefer to not kill the Inkbird on the first use. Or cross the streams and initiate total protonic reversal or something. And I do plan on installing a proper 240V outlet eventually, so this is not intended to be my permanent solution. However, that outlet may not happen for a little while because I'm anticipating that the location of this brew station compared to the breaker panel is gonna drive a high price for running the new outlet.

Assuming you are plugging the heater into the inkbird and plugging the inkbird into a 120v circuit you will be fine. The adaptor you built is for the inkbird output right?

You are correct that the element will draw 1375W. Would be fine on a 15 amp circuit.

I have that Inkbird PID and use it with a similar element on a RIMS. Works great.

I suggest powering the inkbird from a GFI source for added personel protection.

I also have an Inkbird PID and use it on a RIMS which also work great. Just make sure that you have wort flow before turning on the heating element.

I suggest powering the inkbird from a GFI source for added personel protection.

I also have an Inkbird PID and use it on a RIMS which also work great. Just make sure that you have wort flow before turning on the heating element.
A good point. I think the outlets where I'd be plugging this in are GFI, but if not I can install one.

I need to check the instructions, but there are two buttons on the plug for the Inkbird which makes me think that it may have an integrated GFI, as well.

A good point. I think the outlets where I'd be plugging this in are GFI, but if not I can install one.

I need to check the instructions, but there are two buttons on the plug for the Inkbird which makes me think that it may have an integrated GFI, as well.
If the buttons are labeled "TEST" and "RESET", then the plug has its own GFCI.

Brew on :mug:

Back