Dry Hopping First Time Sediment in Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmgxsolutions

Reaction score
Last year was my first time making IPAs and dry hopping with pellets. The taste was great but the amount of sediment was a turn off when you get to the last sip in the bottle. I re-racked 2x.

Should I have racked more?
What is the best way to eliminate sediment?
What can I do to increase clarity in my brew?

thanks

When I've dry hopped, I've filtered the beer through a stocking before bottling.
Cheap, and works like a charm.
Went from this:
attachment.php

To this:
attachment.php

Strain the wort into the fermenter. Use hop socks when dry hopping to keep the gunk contained. Pick up as little sediment as possible when racking to the secondary or bottling bucket. You can't eliminate it completely in bottles,since the carbonating will drop a light dusting when it's done. Use Irish moss towards the end of the boil to help with clarity.

unionrdr said:
Strain the wort into the fermenter. Use hop socks when dry hopping to keep the gunk contained. Pick up as little sediment as possible when racking to the secondary or bottling .

+1 for this. Putting the hops in a mesh bag makes for easy clean up and limits the amount you have to deal with later.

Last year was my first time making IPAs and dry hopping with pellets. The taste was great but the amount of sediment was a turn off when you get to the last sip in the bottle. I re-racked 2x.

Should I have racked more?
What is the best way to eliminate sediment?
What can I do to increase clarity in my brew?

thanks

Any beer is going to have sediment in it. Generally, you pour the beer into a glass (all homebrews) and leave the sediment behind. Drinking out of the bottle means always having sediment, no matter what the beer style.

I dont mind the yeast sediment from conditioning... as it easily mixes in with the brew and is hard to notice. but the hop sediment seems to clump together and is pronounced if you get a mouthful of it.

i like the idea of putting the hops in something... whats good to use?

dan

The commony sold/used muslin hop socks. Or the muslin grain bags I don't use from brewing kits if dry hopping a few ounces. Soak in Starsan a minute,drain fill tie off & drop it in.

I always pour homebrew in a glass and leave the yeast sediment. Drinking all that yeast doesn't give you any GI problems? I've heard it gives some people terrible gas and/or diarrhea.

As for the hop sediment you can try putting the dry hop pellets in a muslin bag in the fermenter. Also when you transfer to the bottling bucket try not to get any of the trub on the bottom. When you start getting some coming through it's time to stop. You may leave some beer in there, but it's better to have less clean beer than a couple more bottles and a bunch of gunk in all of them.

I checked the FG on my Maori IPA last Wednesday,& it was @ 1.015 & cloudy/turbid. Today,it was stilll @ 1.015 & still very misty. Checked my brewing notes,& it seems I didn't record adding the cooled wort/super moss solution at the usual 10 minutes left in the boil. That'd account for it's still being very misty now. Can't wait too much longer for it to clear,if the PM protiens don't settle out more & still have good hop flavor. Trying to make up my mind to go ahead & dry hop,or wait & see a couple days?...:drunk:

I have similar issue, I made an Imperial IPA yesterday using a hop spyder. The recipe takes one pound of hops, so as I am adding the last three oz of hops the five gallon paint strainer bag pulls of off the spyder and all the pellet hops go into the six gallon batch. :0/

I plan on a two week primary, and a four to six week secondary then a cold crash to help clear things up.

Back