Does fermentation in bottle with Prime sugar destroy my dry hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon M

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just started brewing and i brewed my first Imperial NEIPA.

The beer was super good when it came out of the fermenter with a ton of hoppy flavour.

After I bottled up with some priming sugar (dextrose), i feel like all the hoppy flavours went away. It is now more on the bitter side…

My conclusion is that the fermentation in the bottle ate all my hoppy citrus flavour...

Am I wrong? Any tips on how to tackle this?

... I'm consideringdrinking flat beer from now on :)

Thanks!

To answer the text in the topic: yes.

A NEIPA need as little oxygen ingress as possible, and low temperature as possible all the way, and no bottle caps. Meaning they are not really a style to bottle carbonate. There's several sub-reasons for this, but oxygen and temperature are the "head" points to this.

Last edited:
I managed to edit out "temperature" in my above post, corrected now. I saw you liked the post before my edit, so I guess you missed the point about temperature.

The beer was super good when it came out of the fermenter with a ton of hoppy flavour.

After I bottled up with some priming sugar (dextrose), i feel like all the hoppy flavours went away.

My conclusion is that the fermentation in the bottle ate all my hoppy citrus flavour...

It is well documented, in multiple science journals, that the cell walls of yeast bind to volatile compounds, in this case, the molecules associated with the hop aroma (and other aromas in beer).

If you're carbonating in the bottle, you won't have the opportunity to flocculate out the yeast and then dry hop, obviously. Many craft brewers flocculate out their yeast before dry hopping.

Thanks guys for the info, i guess i'll go read a bit on this and kegging

It is well documented, in multiple science journals, that the cell walls of yeast bind to volatile compounds, in this case, the molecules associated with the hop aroma (and other aromas in beer).

If you're carbonating in the bottle, you won't have the opportunity to flocculate out the yeast and then dry hop, obviously. Many craft brewers flocculate out their yeast before dry hopping.
Interestng...I've always bottled and dry hopped in the primary. Never had a problem.

This is interesting I haven’t seen this before. So what your saying is after fermentation is complete I should add my gelatin and then add my dry hops after the fining procession complete?

Back