Had the bottle conditioning on its side, Is this all yeast of something else?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_Keven

Reaction score
Sorry if the image is a bit big, I compressed it down and its still massive lol

FYI this is my first home brew ever so I’m very new to this. Also I now know it’s not recommended to bottle condition on the bottles side. We did use a secondary fermenter and it came out quite clean, so I’m shocked if this is all yeast. We also primed the bottles using Belgian candy sugar, by melting it down with some water and throwing it into the batch. Could this be that? Any clarification would be great

IMG_2118-min.png

The amount of yeast I get on the bottom of the bottles varies quite a lot and doesn't seem to correlate all that closely with how clear the beer was before bottling. I think it depends more on the yeast used than anything else.

Might be some other sediment besides yeast as well. Was your beer cloudy or murkey when you bottled it? The cleaner your beer is going into the bottle, the less sediment you'll have and the less issues trying to pour it without stirring up that sediment.

So if your beer isn't somewhat transparent so you can see through it when you think you are ready to bottle, then consider just waiting longer till the stuff in suspension drops to the bottom. You might can cold crash and make that happen sooner. But for the few days it saves, it's not appealed to me.

IMO, there is no reason to rush beer to the bottle or keg. You can buy some if you need it that bad.

Even if the candy sugar did not perform as expected, why would it precipitate?
yeah I don't have much experience with candy sugar (or homebrewing in general) but it was definitely a liquid when I added it to the beer.

Sorry if the image is a bit big, I compressed it down and its still massive lol

FYI this is my first home brew ever so I’m very new to this. Also I now know it’s not recommended to bottle condition on the bottles side. We did use a secondary fermenter and it came out quite clean, so I’m shocked if this is all yeast. We also primed the bottles using Belgian candy sugar, by melting it down with some water and throwing it into the batch. Could this be that? Any clarification would be great

View attachment 835227
Kind of reminds me of marge simpson, if imprinted on a holy shroud,.. or maybe gumbie's girlfriend. ... is this is a rourschach test?

Pertaining to the question; Not to worry , if it were me, I'd put them upright for a while in a cold 'fridge. If you'd rather drink them sooner, perhaps give them a little shake & let them settle in cold 'fridge. Or you could pour as is, really slowly.

I would swirl gently to get loose stuff off the side of the bottles and store upright. Some sediment may stay on the side of the bottle, but if poured slowly, not much should go into the glass.

Back