Does anyone else dislike Abbey ales?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrstyunderwater

Reaction score
I don't want to use the word hate since it's so strong, but dammit if I don't like Abbey ales. I'm sure I just don't know how to appreciate them, but they remind me of beers I've either underpitched the yeast or fermented too warm. On top of that a lot of them cost an arm and a leg. Anyone else on this page?

I suppose I'll never been a certified beer judge.

That's because they have been fermented too warm. :D I do mine at around 80F.

I like a dark dubel or quad, and the flavor has to be lower on the funko-meter, or I gag when I drink them. There are a few I like, but none I love. It's taken me a while to get to the point where I can even drink them.

I mostly make them because other people like them. Even making them is expensive. The last quad I did cost me $85 for 5 gallons.

I don't want to use the word hate since it's so strong, but dammit if I don't like Abbey ales. I'm sure I just don't know how to appreciate them, but they remind me of beers I've either underpitched the yeast or fermented too warm. On top of that a lot of them cost an arm and a leg. Anyone else on this page?

I suppose I'll never been a certified beer judge.

I presume that they taste a heck of a lot better fresh from the trappist breweries, so I'm not going to judge them too harshly until I taste one fresh.

That's because they have been fermented too warm. :D I do mine at around 80F.

I like a dark dubel or quad, and the flavor has to be lower on the funko-meter, or I gag when I drink them. There are a few I like, but none I love. It's taken me a while to get to the point where I can even drink them.

I mostly make them because other people like them. Even making them is expensive. The last quad I did cost me $85 for 5 gallons.

Well said... though its hard to imagine an $85 beer! I do mill my grain though.

Just finished a belgian pale, dubbel and tripel. All were bottled cause I didnt want tap (s) taken up in my freezer!

I'm sure there a plenty of folks on here that feel like you do about Abbeys. I'm not one of them, however, as I really enjoy a nice Belgian. Like b-boy, though, I don't care too much for funk, so most of the Brett varieties don't do much for me. Keep 'em mellow with the usual banana, raison, plum, and some nice clove and I can drink them all day. I also like an occasional sour.

I really like them (more so the dubbels and quads than tripels), but I'll concede that they are an acquired taste. The yeastiness is off-putting for a lot of people.

Actually 5-gallons into the keg, 6.5 gallons brewed.

OUCH. I brew a lot of Belgians because they are some of my favorite beers. I just opened a nice tripel right now....

I can't see how you can get anywhere near $85 for a quad. You need to find another place to get you ingredients. I get my stuff at my LHBS and it would be about 1/2 that for a big quad using 2 pouches of D-180.

To get back to the OP. Trappist or Belgian brews are different and are a taste that is not for everyone. My only problem with them is that the high ABV makes them not an everyday beer. I can't sit down and have a few. My last quad came out to 11.5% Great beer but not one you sit down and have a few.

I have tried and tried....... but, I just have never been a big fan either. I have had some that I thought were fine, or maybe even "good." But, none would ever make my "top 100 beers" list. I think everyone has their preferences, and there are plenty of people who don't like hoppy beers, or malty beers, or british beers, etc. Lucky for all of us - there are all kinds of beers:)

Agree 100 times. I can't get past the phenolic taste. To me it tastes like like a stronger version of a poorly brewed homebrew. I concede that this is a gross oversimplification and I must be missing something. The most perplexing genre to me is the Belgian IPA, which I consider undrinkable but what do I know? I can appreciate that these are some of the most highly regarded beers in the world, but I have gone back to them a couple of times and each time have concluded that my palate is just not ready yet.

OUCH.

I can't see how you can get anywhere near $85 for a quad. You need to find another place to get you ingredients. I get my stuff at my LHBS and it would be about 1/2 that for a big quad using 2 pouches of D-180.
QUOTE]

Here's my list:

• Abbey Ale Yeast – WLP530 × 1Add an Ice Pack??:Yes $7.34
  • Hallertau Hops (Germany) – 1oz. Pellets × 1 $1.89
  • Northern Brewer Hops (GR) – 1oz. Pellets × 1 $1.29
  • Styrian Goldings Hops (Slovenia) – 1oz. Pellets × 1 $1.89
  • Belgian Candi Syrup D-45 × 1 $6.49
  • Belgian Candi Syrup D-180 × 2 $12.98
  • Castle Pilsen Malt (by the pound) × 15Grain:Whole $24.15
  • Weyermann CaraMunich I (by the pound) × 1Grain:Whole $1.95
  • Castle Special B Malt (by the pound) × 1Grain:Whole $1.85
  • Weyermann CaraAroma (by the pound) × 1Grain:Whole $1.95
  • Weyermann CaraAmber (Biscuit) (by the pound) × 1Grain:Whole $1.95

Comes to ~$63.00. Add $16 shipping, $5.00 for water and you're at $85.

The shipping was a killer.

I do have some leftover grains and 1/2 lb of the 180 Candi syrup, so the next one won't be as expensive.

Still cheaper than buying it by the bottle.

I personally prefer Belgians over almost all beers. But I can see how they aren't to some peoples liking.

I big belgian on a cold, winter night? Yes please! I guess I didn't like them when I started getting into craft beer but I am very impressed with them of late. Nearly any kind too, just needs to be a high quality brew. Best part is, some of the lesser known breweries are the cheapest beers you can get. I was getting them from $2-5. Even for the world class ones that not many have heard of.

Costco in San Marcos CA is selling Duvel 3-750ml bottle sets on clearance for ~$4/bottle right now. Roughly same for Chimay. Frankly thats about $4 more than I would be willing to pay per bottle.

Darn, drove by on the way home. Guess I will brave the crowds at costco tomorrow morning. Time to stock up on Duval and Chimay:rockin:

Gotta agree with the OP. I've tried several and all I've tried have been sickenly sweet and heavy. I suppose one might make a case for Abbey Ales being the equivalent of a Madeira wine, but I can't quite buy into that comparison.

All this posting about Abby ales and not one person said, "Go to Belgium and try a fresh one and drink it in the Abby it was brewed.
I promise you, do that and you will love Abby ales.

See my photos, I'm a Trappist / Belgian Beer lover, I like the complexities and phenolic flavours. I hadn't tried a Brett Belgian until recently and to be honest it took me a couple to get there, but I do enjoy them!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394871815.748584.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394871831.950071.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394871904.357371.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394871935.044287.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394871953.831240.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'd say 90% of what I brew is of Belgian or French origin. I love them more than any other beers, but I can see how people don't like them.

I understand completely, except when I was talking to someone and they said they hated "Belgians"
But had only tried New Belgium's Abbey and Trippel :confused:

All this posting about Abby ales and not one person said, "Go to Belgium and try a fresh one and drink it in the Abby it was brewed.
I promise you, do that and you will love Abby ales.

True that. Im sure it would be delicious over there with the whole experience. Mai Tais taste better in Hawaii, too.:mug:

I'd be willing to bet that there is a genetic predisposition to liking/disliking Belgians. That would be an interesting study.

I think it's strictly the way certain people react to the taste profile. You never hear people say I sort of like Belgians. It's always 'I really love them' or 'I really hate them'.

As I mentioned above I get a visceral reaction to them that goes way beyond flavor. I've met other people who feel the same way.

I'd be willing to bet that there is a genetic predisposition to liking/disliking Belgians. That would be an interesting study.

I think it's strictly the way certain people react to the taste profile. You never hear people say I sort of like Belgians. It's always 'I really love them' or 'I really hate them'.

As I mentioned above I get a visceral reaction to them that goes way beyond flavor. I've met other people who feel the same way.

You may be on to something, it could be like cilantro

My wife is probably as close as there gets to a middle ground. She enjoys some lighter Belgian ales (Duvel, Leffe, witbiers and milder saisons), but anything heavier or funkier than that she can't handle.

What styles are you referring to as Abbey Beers? There can be singles, dubbel, triple, wit beer, golden strong, quads and more. Heck we have Jacks Abbey in Ma that brews unfiltered lagers that range from smokey to really hoppy.

I think you might have a dislike for certain yeasts but don't write off all Belgian beer- there's plenty of brewery's in Belgium that don't use a highly phenolic "typical Belgian profile"yeast.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What styles are you referring to as Abbey Beers? There can be singles, dubbel, triple, wit beer, golden strong, quads and more. Heck we have Jacks Abbey in Ma that brews unfiltered lagers that range from smokey to really hoppy.

I think you might have a dislike for certain yeasts but don't write off all Belgian beer- there's plenty of brewery's in Belgium that don't use a highly phenolic "typical Belgian profile"yeast.

This...the variety and tastes are endless. Can't even consider "abbey ales" as a category in my mind

"The French have their wines, the Belgians have their beer." I love Belgians and their complexities, though I suppose they're not for everyone. For my taste, there are but few beers that are as well-crafted as a good Trappiste Ale.

I think it depends on what your palate has become most accustomed to recently. I have a friend who only drinks double and imperial IPAs. In his view it's almost as if the higher the IBUs, then the better the beer must be. Needless to say he doesn't care for Belgians much, and of course to him all lagers are just watered down crap. Its a shame, but I digress.

Change up your rotation and keep trying them every so often, perhaps they'll grow on you. But in any event, drink what you like!

I considered making Trappist style ales, but then figured I'd just support the Trappist monks instead, and buy the fruits of their labor. They know what they're doing better than I do.

I wonder if there's a Belgian forum somewhere talking about hating IPA?

Burgundian Babbelbelt - they don't hate IPAs but the do talk a lot about Belgian beer.

I have a friend who only drinks double and imperial IPAs. In his view it's almost as if the higher the IBUs, then the better the beer must be. Needless to say he doesn't care for Belgians much, and of course to him all lagers are just watered down crap. Its a shame, but I digress.
Hey I know that guy too! :D

I love IPA's, IIPA's, 2X IPA, etc (drinking one now). I just don't think they're the only styles worthy of high praise. Try them ALL is the point I'm trying to make.

Back