does a decoction generally increase efficiency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martinworswick

Reaction score
i apparently hit 96% efficiency today with my first decoction, i normally hover between 80-85%, i don't really believe the figures and i'm thinking i must have screwed up somewhere, i double checked my readings as it seemed high early on and they were good, maybe i added more grain without realizing but that would be unusual!

The first decoction would have just the first running which will have a higher gravity. You are use to adding the sparge to this which would bring your reading down to a lower efficiency.

While a true 96% figure seems a bit high, all things equal, a decoction will often yield a small increase in efficiency compared to a simple infusion mash. For one thing the heat and mechanical action of the boiling can help break down starch granules making them more easily converted.

The first decoction would have just the first running which will have a higher gravity. You are use to adding the sparge to this which would bring your reading down to a lower efficiency.

i meant after th whole mash was finished, pre and post boil
i'm not sure how i achieved this figure then? if the beer turns out to be a winner i may make it again and see if i find a problem!

i apparently hit 96% efficiency today with my first decoction, i normally hover between 80-85%, i don't really believe the figures and i'm thinking i must have screwed up somewhere, i double checked my readings as it seemed high early on and they were good, maybe i added more grain without realizing but that would be unusual!

96% seems unrealistic. How did you calculate your efficiency.

i agree it seems unrealistic i just can't figure where i've gone wrong, i use beeralchemy for my calculations,i was aiming for 40ltrs of 1051 and got 42 ltrs of 1061 with just over 8kg of grain

i think my volume measurements would need to be out by about 7 ltrs to account for it or a couple extra kgs would be required, i'm by no means a measurement nazi but i'm not that slack either!

A decoction will def enhance the fermentables available versus a single temp infusion, it usually helps out with a couple points higher. I have used a double decoction on my last couple of brews and it has helped. Sometimes it pays to be OCD about certain things.

Latest posts

Back