Forgot to add sucrose to boil, still hit my numbers. Should I care?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TkmLinus

Reaction score
Brewed Star Gazer IPA(Star Gazer Hazy Double IPA - Big Brew 2021) today and realized after chilling the wort I forgot to add sucrose for the 60 minute boil. Checked my numbers and I hit my SG perfectly without it (1.068). I figure I could boil up some water and add it, but I am thinking I shouldn't worry. So as the title of the post asks, should I care? Thanks in advance!

Adding simple sugars is done to boost the ABV and be lighter than malt, so it ferments completely and ensures a drier finish and lighter body. So I would probably add it - 1.068 is low for a double IPA. But if you choose not to, it'll still be fine!

Adding simple sugars is done to boost the ABV and be lighter than malt, so it ferments completely and ensures a drier finish and lighter body. So I would probably add it - 1.068 is low for a double IPA. But if you choose not to, it'll still be fine!
I decided not to add the sugar, I'm sure it will still be tasty! Just wondering, what is the difference between adding sucrose for the full 60 minute boil compared to the last 5 or 10?

You can always add sugar to the fermenter... makes for a smoother/lighter overall DIPA in my opinion...

For anyone interested, I kegged today, never added the additional sugar. ABV ended at about 7.6%. Sample tasted great, sure it will be even better when carbed and cold!

Back