Do your wives get mad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah we never combined our accounts. We have a joint account that we use for transferring money, but for the most part, meh. I pay all the bills, and all her money goes into savings for large purchases.

So, buying some brewing stuff every now and then is typically not a big deal, and I never make a big deal out of it when she buys yet another handbag or a tennis racket, or goes to the spa or whatever.

You guys are missing out. If your SWMBO isn't as good of a brewer as you are, you're doing it wrong.

I cannot even convince her to go to a single homebrew-related event. People in my homebrew club think I killed her and hid her body somewhere.

same with mine.

what she doesn't know is I have taken that woodchuck she loves so much, and made something 100x better. Soon as she has the baby and recovers i'm going to surprise her with it.

Mine is supportive. More so than my huge gaping money pit/time suck restoration of a '69 Firebird anyway.

Yes, both about spending the money and she hates beer. Oh well. it right

my wife and always notify each other of what we are doing....unless it is something like trading for a different Harley, I rarely get any fuss, but then again, i never make a fuss or buy over what i know we can to afford.

I don't usually tell my SWMBO what I've bought or how much something costs. I play dumb unless she brings it up. I'd rather ask for forgiveness than permission. I wear the pants in the family!

When she's not home that is....

If a man ever tells you he is in charge of his home, ask him if he could unilaterally decide to pick out wallpaper for the guest room and install it while his wife was away without reasonably expecting to find his name on the missing person’s list shortly after her return.

dude.. get a hold of your finances, create a budget, then let her talk to the hand as long as you are within your budget. How would it work out if you bitched next time she came home with a bag of clothes or whatever crap she buys? the key is to stick to an agreed upon budget and not worry about how the other spends their disposable money.

And if that doesn't work you got bigger problems to deal with and might need to focus on that for a while.

My "fiance" (not officially engaged because I can't afford a ring, but close enough) is the one who got me my brewing setup for our anniversary last year. She and I alternate paying for batches, she pitches ideas for the next brew, and she designs my labels. I'd say she's at peace with it :ban: :mug:

Seriously, if you are even beginning to think in the back of your mind that buying something is going to upset your wife when she finds out, doesn't that maybe tell you that you should at least talk to her before you make the purchase? My wife and I are very open about our spending habits. We are kind of forced into it as I am paid monthly, so at the beginning of each month, I pay all our bills, and then we use the remaining amount and her biweekly pay to stick some into savings and live off the rest of it for the month. So, random purchases aren't exactly common, though both of us never really say anything to one another if we buy something for around $20 or less. Anything more and we usually talk about it before we buy, and budget for it if its somewhat expensive. Not being open about finances and spending is really asking for trouble. Its just not a smart move. If you have to ask yourself or you are second guessing, the answer is yes, the wife will be mad, so talk to her before you do it. A simple 2 minute conversation could save hours of fighting and frustration.

Seriously, if you are even beginning to think in the back of your mind that buying something is going to upset your wife when she finds out, doesn't that maybe tell you that you should at least talk to her before you make the purchase? My wife and I are very open about our spending habits. We are kind of forced into it as I am paid monthly, so at the beginning of each month, I pay all our bills, and then we use the remaining amount and her biweekly pay to stick some into savings and live off the rest of it for the month. So, random purchases aren't exactly common, though both of us never really say anything to one another if we buy something for around $20 or less. Anything more and we usually talk about it before we buy, and budget for it if its somewhat expensive. Not being open about finances and spending is really asking for trouble. Its just not a smart move. If you have to ask yourself or you are second guessing, the answer is yes, the wife will be mad, so talk to her before you do it. A simple 2 minute conversation could save hours of fighting and frustration.

Good advice.

Most I get is "I wish you spent as much effort on finishing the house projects as you do on your beer projects."

Or,

"Tell me again why you are etching circuit boards??"

I bet she doesn't even hear me when I start describing my latest homebrewing project anymore.

I'm getting this a lot lately... Just because it's going on 5 years to finish our daughter's dresser and 2.5 years to finish our backyard patio doesn't give her right to complain. Besides, I shouldn't be using power-tools drunk.

LOL... I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one.. I finally finished the patio after two years.. but not quite because there's a leak somewhere.. :confused: The office is going on four years. :eek:

At least I make time to brew and bottle.. and drink it.. :tank:

E

The female in my house doesn't complain a bit about what I spend or what I spend it on. She just wags her tail and hangs out in the garage with me when I brew.

We have seperate bank accounts and the holidays are about the only time where she ever has a clue what amount I have in mine. We know what bills we are responsible for and as long as I pay mine, we're good to go.

Plus, if she can drop 400 bones at The Buckle I certainly refuse to feel guilty about ordering $100 worth of brewing supplies every 4 months or so.

Gotta tell ya buddy, nut up and deal with her. Bang out a compromise that works for both of you in the long run.

Gotta tell ya buddy, nut up and deal with her. Bang out a compromise that works for both of you in the long run.

I'm with you on this.. Marriage is all about communication and compromise.

"Nut up..." :mug:

E

Fortunately, I'm the homebrewer in the relationship. The husband loves that I started making beer. Now, he gets mad when carboys aren't full. He gets whatever xbox 360/ps3 game he wants, and I get whatever brew supplies I want.

1. If money is so tight your wife will ***** about an extract kit, maybe you shouldn't brew right now.

2. I don't know your situation, maybe she just bitches about everything?

3. Can you help me answer #1 or #2?

Fortunately, I'm the homebrewer in the relationship. The husband loves that I started making beer. Now, he gets mad when carboys aren't full. He gets whatever xbox 360/ps3 game he wants, and I get whatever brew supplies I want.

My wife and I, we have, an understanding...

I have my hobbies and he has his. We generally have the same financial goals and trust each other to make good decisions on how to spend our money. Since we're both frugal, it's never been a problem when I 'need' something for my brewing although at the very beginning there may have been some reservations about the cost of some of the items. For the last few years, though, he doesn't even ask!

We also keep our money separate. Even with her not working right now, we still keep it separate. She doesn't even know what my paycheck looks like. As long as everything I buy fits in my "brew room", she could careless. I have a lot of money taken out of my check for savings before I even see it, so I spend almost all of what's left and I like it that way ;).

I've been reading some of the more comical threads to SWMBO and the one that got the best reaction was the post about spending so much time on HBT. Go figure!

My wife is happy that i am HB it gives me a hobby and gives me something to do so she can do hers...which btw is tarantulas! :confused: i personally think my hobby is way better. :mug: i can do something with mine...what is she gonna do with hers?

You guys are missing out. If your SWMBO isn't as good of a brewer as you are, you're doing it wrong.

You said it!!! Definitely makes brewing, and marriage, more enjoyable!!

I'm with you on this.. Marriage is all about communication and compromise.

"Nut up..." :mug:

E

Wise words, my friend! :mug:

My wife and I really enjoy this hobby together. We have a blast coming up with ideas and recipes, brewing together, and doing fun things like each brewing our own take on a specific style at/around the same time. Not to mention we've always loved enjoying great beer together, and it's even better to enjoy our great beer together. :tank:

You said it!!! Definitely makes brewing, and marriage, more enjoyable!!

Wise words, my friend! :mug:

My wife and I really enjoy this hobby together. We have a blast coming up with ideas and recipes, brewing together, and doing fun things like each brewing our own take on a specific style at/around the same time. Not to mention we've always loved enjoying great beer together, and it's even better to enjoy our great beer together. :tank:

Cheers, love! :mug:

My wife is happy that i am HB it gives me a hobby and gives me something to do so she can do hers...which btw is tarantulas! :confused: i personally think my hobby is way better. :mug: i can do something with mine...what is she gonna do with hers?

gives me the creeps to wonder. I hate spiders.

Nope, the SWMBO probably spends more on her quilting hobby than I do on my brewing. I don't ***** and neither does she.

Even though she really doesn't even drink beer, my wife encourages my hobby. In fact, she bought a good bit of my equipment FOR me!

dragged the wife unit with me to the Home brew shop on 12/10
she bought the grains of whats now fermenting since Sunday
don't remember any complaining ....

I work my ass off. Day and night. She sees stuff showing up and doesn't say a word. I've earned it and she knows it.

This!

Which is why my SWMBO went out of her way this year and ordered me a whole new brewing system. :mug:

Only complaint I've heard to date:

"You know your husband is a homebrewer when every closet you open in the house is full of beer stuff."

She's as big a fan as I am, though, so no real complaints other than she doesn't like to wait to let the beer finish maturing.

I ordered an extract kit and bottling bucket today. I then thought about how hard my wife is going to ***** when she gets home. I called and tried to cancel the order until I soften her up a little but the order was already being processed. Does anyone else have this problem?
No, I don't, because I have an X-wife. :)
I was going to place this order last pay period and I got a long spill about how we are still paying off the t.v. the car payment that was due, christmas, this, that, and the other. Yet every time I turned around it was the bank card getting swiped and not her pay card. I'm going to brew this batch and enjoy it. I even ordered the one she requested. I was so unhappy with my first batch I am eager to brew a new one. May closet some of my equipment and work on my wine making skills for a few months after this since I can make wine at less than a dollar a gallon.
Now I see part of the problem. Dude, you need a budget that you and your spouse agree to. The budget should contain all the necessaries, e.g. food, heat, ... and it should also include a certain amount of money for each of you which is "whatever I feel like" money.

But the issue for you (as with most people in America today) is "paying off" things. This is a trap, and one of the reasons most people struggle.
1. You need an emergency fund of 3-6 months. That is, take the necessities (not the nice to haves) in your budget, multiply by 3 (6 is even better), and that is the amount of $ you should have set aside and which you don't touch unless an emergency occurs.
2. You need to pay off and get rid of all debt except for a reasonable mortgage (if you own a home). No TV payments, no car payments, no credit card payments. If you don't have enough money to pay cash (or pay the credit card bill when it arrives), DON'T BUY IT. Doing this (instead of making money payments) also makes you figure out (quickly) that people are bonkers with what they pay for new high priced cars because they only base their purchase decision on the payment/$ price.

This might sound crazy but it provides you freedom. No fights with your spouse because you want to buy an extract kit. No need to even discuss it if you use your "whatever I feel like" money.

My wife is sooo cool, She supports all my hobbies, Flyfishing, Hunting, trap shooting, golf and Beer brewing. Plus she drinks the beer with me. We have combined accounts so it's not like I can go crazy. I try and save as much as I can and buy stuff when it's on sale but she never bitches. In fact I know she bought me a sight glass/thermometer kit from bobby for christmas but she doesn't know I know. She also bought me a new driver which I know about as well because she is so bad at hiding gifts.

I love my swimbo!

My wife is sooo cool, She supports all my hobbies, Flyfishing, Hunting, trap shooting, golf and Beer brewing. Plus she drinks the beer with me. We have combined accounts so it's not like I can go crazy. I try and save as much as I can and buy stuff when it's on sale but she never bitches. In fact I know she bought me a sight glass/thermometer kit from bobby for christmas but she doesn't know I know. She also bought me a new driver which I know about as well because she is so bad at hiding gifts.

I love my swimbo!

Same here my wife has her beer that i make that see likes so i try to
allways keep a keg on hand to keep her happy.
Thats why i call it "Make The Wife Happy Beer"

Just found out one of my Christmas gifts is a refractometer
so now i have another piece of brewing equipment i need to figure out how to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back