Do your wives get mad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said before I'm very lucky

All I gotta say is guys... Life is way too short to walk on egg shells and be miserable.

I didn't read all the posts but I guess I'm lucky. My wife bought me the new chest freezer for my kegerator, she bought me my 12.2 gallon stainless conical(and was going to buy the 7 gallon version also until I convinced her I didn't need it). She set up our 8 day Belgian vacation for our 25th anniversary, and our last vacation to Germany.
We aren't wealthy, but we both have good jobs, our kids are grown and have good jobs so our money can be spent on what we really want to do.
For Christmas this year she put $1000 into a fund to build me a 30 X 50 brewhaus/man cave in the back yard. She may be old and gray, but I'll keep her.

i'm not married but i have lived with the same------------- *****(that is all she has been doing the past 2 years) for going on 6 years now. i have learned not to tell her what something cost me. i have learned to just shut up. i have learned even when i'm right i am wrong. i have learned while i earn the money,pay 100% of all bills, cook breakfast,lunch and dinner she is the boss(until she leaves the house then the female dog is boss). i'm a engineer for the railroad. even at work the youngest man on the crew is boss. i'm never the boss. i have learned to live with it.

as a side note i do gunsmith work as a side business. even then the boss is the person who's gun i work on. i may very well know how to make the rifle shoot it's very best, but often the owner tells me to do something i know will be counter productive. i try to talk them out of it, but in the end i do what they want:drunk:!!!!

I think it would do you good to either get rid of the woman, or quit gunsmithing because it sounds like a recipe for disaster LOL.

My wife only gets mad with the amount of space all my gear takes up. There's also the fact that most of my personal stuff is spread out across my desk and the floor, but my brewing equipment is meticulously sorted and organized.

"But then I poured her one of her SWMBO Slayer Blondes and she was all good."

If only my wife liked beer, or even drank more than a glass of wine every now and then, I would make a small batch for her to enjoy as a way of saying "thank you" for dealing with my obsession of brewing beer!

i'm not married but i have lived with the same------------- *****(that is all she has been doing the past 2 years) for going on 6 years now. i have learned not to tell her what something cost me. i have learned to just shut up. i have learned even when i'm right i am wrong. i have learned while i earn the money,pay 100% of all bills, cook breakfast,lunch and dinner she is the boss(until she leaves the house then the female dog is boss). i'm a engineer for the railroad. even at work the youngest man on the crew is boss. i'm never the boss. i have learned to live with it.

as a side note i do gunsmith work as a side business. even then the boss is the person who's gun i work on. i may very well know how to make the rifle shoot it's very best, but often the owner tells me to do something i know will be counter productive. i try to talk them out of it, but in the end i do what they want:drunk:!!!!

Sounds like you are a defeated man living through a routine because its easier that way. You aren't even married--LEAVE HER! Nobody has to put up with that kind of life. Yeah, I know nothing of your past with her, but if its even half as bad as you make it sound, what are you doing? Get out from under that and move on!

My wife has always encouraged my brewing.

She is my official tase tester.....:mug:

My wife has started going with me to our homebrew club meetings, so she's getting a little more into my brewing. She's always been supportive and helpful. Oh, and I got her a wine kit for Christmas (shhh, don't tell her).

Sounds like you are a defeated man living through a routine because its easier that way. You aren't even married--LEAVE HER! Nobody has to put up with that kind of life. Yeah, I know nothing of your past with her, but if its even half as bad as you make it sound, what are you doing? Get out from under that and move on!

if it wasn't for the fact we have a 7 month old baby i would shuffle her ass out the door. the sad fact is i was pushing when i should have been pulling and now i have to pay for it.

i would stop gunsmithing but it normally brings me $5000 a month tax free. i build bolt action match rifles and my rifles have 3 national championships under thier belts. i am pretty good at what i do.

the simple sad fact is i screwed up. i do not blames others.

My husband doesn't get mad. There's no reason to. We've each got our own finances, he likes beer, and he knows when I'm going to brew so he doesn't plan anything kitchen-related for that time. Works perfectly.

Another thing that I've noticed, is that whenever there's an odd smell...it always seems to smell like beer to her...and not just beer, but sour beer (and I'm not making lambic). If the garbage disposal smells funky, it's because of beer. If the cat tracks funk through the house, it's beer. If her flowers are dead and the vase water smells like piss...it's beer. All this, because I had one fermenter explode and funk everything from the ceiling down...so every smell in my house is now attributed to my hobby.
Man, thats FUNNY! When I had an airlock clog and launch out of the fermters' lid, it didn't make that big of a mess, but it WAS a factor in her asking me how much it would cost to move my (entire) operation to the carport.

My wife was totally against it when I told her I wanted to start homebrewing. Too many hobbies already, too much junk, blah blah blah. So I brew with a friend at his house (his wife is more understanding). We split costs and finished product and it's a lot of fun brewing with a buddy. The money isn't really an issue. She spends way more than me on QVC, HSN etc.

Now...off topic and not to hijack but in post 24 Benvanned mentions
May closet some of my equipment and work on my wine making skills for a few months after this since I can make wine at less than a dollar a gallon.

How is this done? Never made wine, but at a buck a gallon I'd like to give it a try. Care to start a new thread on this?

:off:at a buck a gallon, he isn't using kits. If you crush your own fruit (or do like my dad did back in the '70s -he would get grape juice concentrate, add a pound or two of sugar, add water to top the carboy off (well, up to 5 gal) and pitch yeast. You could probably get your wine for a buck a gallon that way -though I'm not sure how drinkable it would be -his was, well, drinkable.

My wife was dubious at first -as I too have a nasty habit of starting a hobby, and losing interest fairly quickly (or having too many to actually do) -but it was clear early on, that this hobby was for keeps (like everyone else on here, I REALLY like beer) -the only other one I've kept alive is my home-built backyard smoker (while she doesn't like beer, she LOVES when I cook in the smoke-box. Right now I'm building a cold-smoker so I can smoke grains:drunk:, make venison jerky, etc).

Apfelwein comes in at $2.10 a gallon for me. I'm sure I could get lower using red star over notty and great value over motts.

My wife was totally against it when I told her I wanted to start homebrewing. Too many hobbies already, too much junk, blah blah blah. So I brew with a friend at his house (his wife is more understanding). We split costs and finished product and it's a lot of fun brewing with a buddy. The money isn't really an issue. She spends way more than me on QVC, HSN etc.

Now...off topic and not to hijack but in post 24 Benvanned mentions

How is this done? Never made wine, but at a buck a gallon I'd like to give it a try. Care to start a new thread on this?

I make wine here in Sonoma County, CA. Grapes go for about $1 per pound, it takes about 110 pounds to make 5 gallons of wine. You definitely cannot make grape wine for $1 per gallon. Using frozen must (crushed and stemmed red grapes) runs about twice that ($150+ per 5 gallon pail which makes about 3.5 gallons of finished wine) through Welcome to Brehm Vineyards - Fine Wine From Fine Grapes

It is fun though :)

weirdboy said:
WTF, really? I had no idea sewing materials were that expensive.
You'd be amazed. She got this fuzzy warm hypo-allergenic crap that was $60 a yard. Kids just gonna puke and pee on it. This is another of her hobbies, not cheap by any means. She wires each room with lights, wall papers and carpets them, and then usually ends up giving them away after spending about 500 on one.

BierMuncher said:
My wife got a little tense when I tried to sneak this downstairs.
My wife would probably get a little tiffed if one of those suddenly appeared in the garage sans-consultation. What is the thing to the right of it btw? It looks like a central vac cannister.
nobody said:
i'm not married but i have lived with the same------------- *****(that is all she has been doing the past 2 years) for going on 6 years now.
This sounds familiar... good news though, given enough time she will probably leave you to go ruin someone elses life. However much older you want to be when that happens is up to you though.

I don't know why it always drops these pics down to the bottom of the post from my droid... this goes with the wierdboy quote

ForumRunner_20111223_175644.jpg

if it wasn't for the fact we have a 7 month old baby i would shuffle her ass out the door. the sad fact is i was pushing when i should have been pulling and now i have to pay for it.

i would stop gunsmithing but it normally brings me $5000 a month tax free. i build bolt action match rifles and my rifles have 3 national championships under thier belts. i am pretty good at what i do.

the simple sad fact is i screwed up. i do not blames others.

Though it isn't always real popular when I've suggested this, you could try a little counselling. I've got 16 years and 2 kids with the same gal. But in that time we hit a few rough patches and guess what? Counselling sorted it out.

All it is is having someone else who can get two people to listen, understand one another, and have some fun together. May not help, but I found that what I thought was my wife being bitchy and unreasonable actually had some logic behind it, but I was totally oblivious to it. I think she found out much the same thing.

Either way, giving it a shot can't hurt. Best of luck to ya, bud.

This thread has been funny. Good news is though. A friend wants to buy some of this batch.

i feel very blessed after reading through this post. my wife has never complained about my brewing or its costs.
she didnt even complained when my garaged went from a 2.5 car to only being 8 ft deep with a brewery in front (wall built, insulated and wired)

now, when the brewery does its double duty as a taproom, she does get a bit figidity about going into the brewery in the morning to find chalk outlines on the floor in the crumpled shape of "the first man not standing". or when the garbage collectors shake their heads in disbelief at the inordinate amount of bottles and red cups coming out of the cans...

but all in all, after being married to me for 22 yrs, she has seen FAR worse than this from me.

explain your passion for the craft to her, dont use the mortgage or birthday dollars for malt and hops, and never cancel a date to brew.

its a formula that works for me.

BenVanned said:
This thread has been funny. Good news is though. A friend wants to buy some of this batch.

Uuhhh you can't talk about that here, as selling your homebrew is illegal. The closest we've been able to come is someone buying your ingredients for you to brew with, and splitting the batch. Otherwise we can't be hearing about it.

my wife only gets mad at the amount of equipment i have acquired in the last 2 years. Its just that we dont have alot of room so i can understand. She wasnt even too upset when my 2 liter yeast starter decided it needed 3 liters of room. Yeast fountain all over the kitchen counter. She also doesnt like that it looks like im cooking meth in the yard when neighbors go by. Oh well I put up with a lot of **** too so i guess it evens out.

My wife also complains that the neighborhood thinks I'm cooking meth. I'll admit, cars tend to slow down and people peer into my garage and wonder what all the coolers and buckets are for and why I'm stirring a large pot on a propane burner with some very aromatic smells emitting from it. Oh well...

The relationship between my wife and my brewing has changed over time. She was the one that bought me the Mr. Beer kit that started it all and was into it at that point. Then came five gallon extract batches. $100 for a new kit? I thought I already bought you a kit? Then came all grain. $200 for what? I thought you had what you needed? A chest freezer? I thought changing ice packs every two hours was working? Then came...It's an ongoing battle. Took me two years of my own bitching to get kegs. The biggest thing that bothers me is she complains about buying stuff but then requests some weird ass fruit beer, I make it, she doesn't drink it, then comes home with a commercial version. Literally had four sixers of various pumpkin ales enter this house this year as I was pitching yeast into my own. I know my beer is good, she's just weird like that.

Don't even get me started on trying to block out 5-6 hours every two weeks when there are two kids involved.

Not something you should be talking about in a public place. Remember the word "Donation". You can buy the supplies and have him make it. Other than that, keep on brewing.

My wife doesn't complain too much, I just don't go overboard. I have a few hobbies that are far more expensive than brewing. She knows that I work ALOT to make the money for the better of the family. Christmas weekend and I am working overtime. Building my hotrods cost way more than brewing beer. I keep some side projects going to finance most of the things I buy.

Nope. Never have that issue. My wife handles the finances, but if we can afford it then she lets me get what I want. If we can't afford it, I don't go and buy it anyway so she doesn't have reason to be mad. Makes life much easier.

ChshreCat said:
My wife handles the finances

Same here, unfortunately my wife is the type of accountant that will always say we can't afford it, even if one of us just received a massive bonus or something.

Whatever. Someday I'll open a tap room and she'll see...she'll see (shakes finger frantically in air)

Say it ain't so. You're throwing good brown glass away?!?! Boo!

Maybe they are screw-tops? For parties (when I bottle for them) I'll use screw-tops -and that glass is really only good for one recycle IMHO -(if even that).
Though when I bottle for my brothers' consumption, I generally use any glass other than my good brown ones -that includes using clear ones I save when I get Newcastle (hey, >I< like it -and thats all that matters). I don't mind going that route because that brother has the really nasty habit of folding the bottle caps in half, and pushing them INTO MY GOOD BOTTLE! Those things are a REAL PAIN to get out. I've told him time and again to quit doing that -so I finally gave up, and he gets glass that I don't want back -WHEN I think about bottling some for him, and its not all that often.

I haven't been able to get screw caps to hold pressure with my capper. Its from the late 80's though, so that may be the issue. Do bench cappers seal better?

Yeah, I broke a wing-capper trying to seat caps on screw-top bottles, and replaced it with a bench capper -the bench one works like a charm -Ive only ever had one bottle not seal. After I cap, I invert the bottle and see if there is any leakage, if none is preset, you're good to go.
I first started using screw-top bottles out of desperation when I ran out of regular glass (a few screw-tops to finish off, you know) -but now, other than for that brother, I don't bother with them. I HAVE had them break when capping. That glass is just too thin.

i work for my money so i spend it on what i want. feel bad for you guys who let their women walk all over them. well, kinda, you guys are just letting it happen. if i'm spending 40hrs a week dealing with customers, i get to spend 5hrs brewing when i want to.

Ya I am lucky to my brew area is nice and the wife will come and hang out with me. Or if I have buddy's over there wives come and the girls hang up stairs. But we brew on the days she works late and are done when she gets home

i work for my money so i spend it on what i want. feel bad for you guys who let their women walk all over them. well, kinda, you guys are just letting it happen. if i'm spending 40hrs a week dealing with customers, i get to spend 5hrs brewing when i want to.

Well, I earn the living (she is disabled) but if I played the way YOU write it, well let me just say that its a recipe for an unhappy marriage (and not conducive to a long one, for that matter). She takes care of the house and the groceries. An unhappy wife can make your life a living hell -and women can cause a world of damage if they feel spited.

Let us know how that divorce goes

Well, I earn the living (she is disabled) but if I played the way YOU write it, well let me just say that its a recipe for an unhappy marriage (and not conducive to a long one, for that matter). She takes care of the house and the groceries. An unhappy wife can make your life a living hell -and women can cause a world of damage if they feel spited.

Well said! :mug:

MrManifesto said:

LOL. You gotta be single!

....or about to be.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back