Do your wives get mad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i work for my money so i spend it on what i want. feel bad for you guys who let their women walk all over them. well, kinda, you guys are just letting it happen. if i'm spending 40hrs a week dealing with customers, i get to spend 5hrs brewing when i want to.

That's his single man-ifesto... get it *wink**wink*...

My wife has definitely been understanding. Brewed a couple times at a buddy's house but ended up doing it at mine a couple times. I clean up the kitchen and everything that night (I know very late and tired). But it show's her that I appreciate that she tries to keep everything nice and clean. I only buy stuff with extra money that I receive from doing extra consulting/IT work/selling stuff. Honestly I'd rather let her splurge than me, dealing with the house and kids is a lot and I have to give credit where credit is due. And if it's a large purchase I would discuss, she does the same for me. It's called team work. We have a joint account and the only time it's an issue is when I want to get her something special, she knows! lol...

MY wife encourages my hobby...she bought me a bunch of books about HB and a new carboy for Christmas...:rockin:

i work for my money so i spend it on what i want. feel bad for you guys who let their women walk all over them. well, kinda, you guys are just letting it happen. if i'm spending 40hrs a week dealing with customers, i get to spend 5hrs brewing when i want to.

Some of us actually like our wives and consider them worthy of having a say in the house. Do you slap her around when she questions your authority or just ignore her?

As with everything in a marriage, there has to be a balance. Oh by the way, thank you Mrs. Claus for the stout tap and nitro gauges, a good start to Yeti Oak Aged Stout clone on nitro soon.

I work 80+ hours. My wife runs the house despite me making most of the money. That being said, she started me on this crazy hobby... And though I pretty much buy what I want... We always discuss large purchses ($50)...

If you look in my gun safe, you will see many blued rifles with snythetic stocks. As far as SWMBO knows, I have one rifle with which I can kill bunnies, predators, caribou and moose.

I always try to buy things that match what i have on hand or at least things that don't look overly out of place and potentially draw attention...

I can go along with that -though my wife wouldn't know a mash tun from a fermenter. She stays well clear of my brewery.
Do have a "funny" though. While convalescing after I got home from having a craniotomy (spontaneous subdural hemorrhage while I was at work = amazingly bad headache and 10 days in neuro-ICU) I made a new tap-handle on my wood lathe, I sanded it down real smooth, the wood was Hickory, and I coated it with polyurethane. I sanded that, coated it again to get three coats (should have gone another coat but I was getting impatient) -result? Great looking tap handle, very curvey, a glass-like finish. I was in the "computer room" and heard the wife let out a few choice words -she never uses foul language -or very rarely anyway- so I rush to the kitchen to see what was the matter.
She was standing with a towel, moping up beer on the kegerator. I asked her what happened -she said "I'm not sure. I was just looking at the new tap handle, and I reached over and pulled the tap -I don't know WHY I did it. I couldn't help myself. And BEER SPILLED OUT!"
After I quit laughing so hard, I told her that this was the actual purpose behind the tap, and if she got any more of these uncontrollable urges, to PLEASE put a mug under the faucet and bring me the results for proper storage. :) She doesn't like beer or any alcohol for that matter. She couldn't care less about my brewing hobby. I lover her all the more!

Haha my swmbo actually got me started...

I thought she wasn't your SWMBO? Count me confused... I know alot of men who were married and had the same thinking. They still can't figure out why their marriages failed and current relationships don't work. Guess you gotta find that special person ;)

My wife supports my hobby and i support hers (shopping). She never complains. She makes alot more money than I do, so I cant complain either. I want for nothing when it comes to brewing, or fishing or boating, or crabbing either. I love her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a good start to Yeti Oak Aged Stout clone on nitro soon.

ooo, I'd like that recipe.

In the last 18 months, my SWMBO has gotten me a blingmann 10 gallon pot for mashing, several brewing books and a barley crusher. Today, she got me a new chugger pump, brewing gloves (she worries about burns) and a copy of brewing classic style.

To top it off, in the last 2 years, I went from mr beer to stove top AG. I built a 3 tap keezer, acquired 10 kegs, 2 more blichmann 10 gal pots, 120 lb of grain, a heat stick and any number of other small un-finished brewing related projects.

All this and she doesn't drink beer. Love is blind and often tolerant. :mug:

haha, my wife found out when she found my first batch bubbling 3 days into fermentation. she didnt know what the heck it was...lol. of course i had to beg for forgiveness....she did end up buying me the 8 gal brewpot tho...good luck.

Some of us actually like our wives and consider them worthy of having a say in the house. Do you slap her around when she questions your authority or just ignore her?

nope, i'm just not a wimp.

she is free and clear to do whatever she likes with her money as well. just because i don't let my gf browbeat me doesn't mean she's a poor ol' beaten woman.

I thought she wasn't your SWMBO? Count me confused... I know alot of men who were married and had the same thinking. They still can't figure out why their marriages failed and current relationships don't work. Guess you gotta find that special person ;)

does SWMBO mean wife? i thought it could mean either gf or wife.

whatever. if you let someone walk all over you, you get what you get. i love my lady and she loves me. i treat her right and she does the same. "love" doesn't mean a woman gets free reign to walk all over me, run the house and make all my financial decisions for me. that's control.

if a man was doing that to a girl, would most of these white knights think it's cool? nope. i'm a believer in equality! :mug:

SWMBO isn't just wives.

Though I guess SWMBO doesn't really apply to you, since she obviously has no opinion.

SWMBO is very stereotypical of a type of relationship many people here have with their wives, but not necessarily the type all of us have with our wives. I do not have a SWMBO, I have a partner.

I have to agree with the above. My wife would kill me if I tried to characterize her as a swmbo. I've always found that term strange. I have an ex-wife too, she was a swmbo. To me, swmbo = ex or soon to be ex. No one should be married to a swmbo.

My wife doesn't WANT to make all the choices, she thinks that is my place as the man. I have to come to her for something if im having trouble getting perspective on a problem or issue, especially when it involves the kids. My theory is just to beat them till they stop doing what I don't want them to do, while she can offer a little more insight. Isn't that how all marriages work?

SWMBO isn't just wives.

Though I guess SWMBO doesn't really apply to you, since she obviously has no opinion.

lol at you bud.

whatever you wanna think. if you only knew. i like to think that i can be a man and she can be a woman, all in the same little apartment. works well for us and trust me, she isn't any kind of 50's house wife. quite the opposite.

this all reminds me of that old song, "where have all the cowboys gone?"

SWMBO is very stereotypical of a type of relationship many people here have with their wives, but not necessarily the type all of us have with our wives. I do not have a SWMBO, I have a partner.

I have to agree with the above. My wife would kill me if I tried to characterize her as a swmbo. I've always found that term strange. I have an ex-wife too, she was a swmbo. To me, swmbo = ex or soon to be ex. No one should be married to a swmbo.

You guys are being too literal with the SWMBO. It's intended to just indicate wife or g/f not that we are whipped by a female.

brewing funds have no limit in MY house but i am fairly reasonable on what i buy and how often i brew. competition season is beginning tho and ive ordered over 20lbs of hops. to me, those are very reasonable purchases. how else is one to win ninkasi without a proper stock in supplies?

I guess just the same as we can't say that MrManifesto's gf/wife is a down trodden woman with no opinion or say it's unwise to say that men who listen to their wives are lushes with no backbone and not real men.

I think that's what started this tangent, ego. Like I said, it's finding that special one and sometimes some don't.

Can we go back to complaining about our wives again? That was more fun.

I picked up a 99$ craigslist 17 cf upright freezer for a fermentation chamber build last Friday. I came into the house with my head hung low and told her that I had to grab the trailer and go pick it up. SWMBO said "Why didn't you just go to Lowes and buy one?"

I picked up a 99$ craigslist 17 cf upright freezer for a fermentation chamber build last Friday. I came into the house with my head hung low and told her that I had to grab the trailer and go pick it up. SWMBO said "Why didn't you just go to Lowes and buy one?"

Now you know what to do about your next purchase!

Now you know what to do about your next purchase!

I couldn't justify 5-600$ for how badly I am going to modify this freezer. I think I got such a good response because I started it with "Honey, you are about to get your bathtub back."

A good slap every now and then keeps a woman in order...

Fairly offensive? Saying outright that it's not just acceptable but desirable to hit women is deeply messed-up and wholly inappropriate.

It shouldn't make a difference, but in the event that it helps keep amc22 suitably embarrassed to let #@$%@$# like that out of his face: there are women here.

I registered here back in August but I had been putting off brewing anything because I didn't want to spend the money yet. My gf basically forced me (twisted my arm she did) to get started by buying me a $200 gc from Northern Brewer for my b-day earlier this month. I think she's probably ok with my new hobby. It's too bad she doesn't like beer. This would be more fun if I could share it with her.

A good slap every now and then keeps a woman in order...

Take your 27 posts and go waste the future ones on yahoo answers, we don't need or want that crap here. My other half comes from an abusive previous relationship and the damage it has done to her will probably never go away. The emotional toll it takes on a woman makes any action or amount of physical abuse from a man completely unacceptable, and there is absolutely nothing funny about your post.

In the future if you have something like that to say just step away from the keyboard and keep your mouth shut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back