DC Area Group Buy #7

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can I get the price list please?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Home Brew mobile app

Can I get the price list please?

Welcome to the group buy!
If you haven't done so, you need to pm stonebrewer.

stonebrewer said:
Some "info" and "rules" to go over:

* If you want the price list, PM me your email address...otherwise you don't get it! [...]

Greetings! Tony et all, I'd like to change my order since I just got a bunch of munich to hold me over, so for this buy I'd like:

1 X Simpsons Golden Promise
1 X Weyermann Pilsner

Cheers & Thanks!
Steve da Sleeeve

Status update on the splits and the bulk buy in general.

We have 370 pounds of grain up for splits. All but one split have 35-45 pounds yet to be claimed. Hopefully, as soon as the weather improves the demand will follow. It doesn't look we'll be having an order for February, but the end of March should be attainable.

The last Saturday in March is the 29th, which means our bulk order should be completed by Friday, March 21st for that to happen.

Mark your calendars for March 21st !

I'm going to be working at the DC Homebrew competition the morning of March 29, so assuming it doesn't come together for February I think I will have to withdraw my order :(

I'm going to be working at the DC Homebrew competition the morning of March 29, so assuming it doesn't come together for February I think I will have to withdraw my order :(

Well, don't withdraw anything yet since nothing is etched in stone. If it so turns out, perhaps you can arrange for someone else to pick up your order.

Also, March 29, although being the last Saturday of the month, is quite arbitrary, and may not work for others either. I just put the reminder on the calendar as soon as I realized we missed the February order deadline already. I'm leaving final decisions to our mighty organizer, stonebrewer.

Well, don't withdraw anything yet since nothing is etched in stone. If it so turns out, perhaps you can arrange for someone else to pick up your order.

Also, March 29, although being the last Saturday of the month, is quite arbitrary, and may not work for others either. I just put the reminder on the calendar as soon as I realized we missed the February order deadline already. I'm leaving final decisions to our mighty organizer, stonebrewer.

A few notes/corrections:

* We didn't miss the Feb. deadline as I never set one;
* That is because we could not do a Feb buy as our buyer is not at the HBS the last two weekends of this month
* We have a couple of dates to pick from next month; March 15 or 22, and I am leaning toward the 22nd since it will give us more time to complete some of the splits and no one seems desperate to get grain; so unless there is a complete board meltdown, I think I will close the buy on the 15th and we will pick up on the 22nd
* GOOD NEWS: 3 stars has agreed to allow us in later in the day so we finish up close to growler hours; more details to follow
* Still trying to calibrate these buys. Want to make them pretty predictable, as best I can within the parameters we have to work with. Once a month seems a bit too frequent, so every 6-8 weeks looks like the sweet spot. New people are still coming on the buy so that may affect things down the road too. Again, stay tuned...

Last buy was very successful thanks to Frits' hard work on the splits and the gang of guys who pitched in AND supplied buckets/bags/etc.

I thought we were on some end of the month schedule, sorry for the misunderstanding. Glad we can work with a more flexible arrangement.

That's all very good news, Tony. I really hope we can fill most of those splits by the 14th, and add a few more whole sacks.

If we can settle for the 22nd, there's a little over 3 weeks left, so chop chop all you brewers, fill those empty buckets!

It will be nice to start later and being able to take a growler home. And it's gonna make it even harder to get out of there. :mug:

Greetings!

I would like to add

1x Rahr Standard 2-Row 50lb (RAH1002)

I would also like to claim 10 lbs each of the following splits:

Crisp Pale Chocolate (reddskinnfan)
Crisp Roasted Barley (reddskinnfan)
Briess Extra Special (reddskinnfan)

Thanks for organizing, Tony and Frits!

Cheers, Fred

Frits, no problem...I think I said we were going to try to do it monthly, but then after talking to our buyer it became apparent we would have to work a schedule based on more factors. Also, we don't want to do this every month do we? It is a lot of work!

Keith...email sent.

Fred...email sent, I think...I am guessing cause I didn't make a note like I did with most folks that associates name to HBT name. If you didn't get an email, send me your email address again.

Cheers all!

All I see you drinking anymore is big IIPA's so what in the heck are you going to do with smoked malt? A smoked IIPA? Interesting...may be a new BJCP style! I knew you were up to something!

A guy that kills a sack of munich on one batch can't handle a full sack of smoked wheat by himself?

I might be interested in some. How smokey is it? Strong like peat malt or more like the weaker rauschmalt? Got a good recipe you use it in?

Greetings!

I would like to add

Cheers, Fred

Added your 2-row and the 3 splits.

And, you're very welcome!

Frits, no problem...I think I said we were going to try to do it monthly, but then after talking to our buyer it became apparent we would have to work a schedule based on more factors. Also, we don't want to do this every month do we? It is a lot of work! [...]

Oh, I'm with you.
Flexibility is paramount, we have no control over how many sacks we can round up in any given time span. The amount of work involved should be worth the net result. And monthly is way too ambitious unless we experience exponential growth.

At the moment we have 21 sacks lined up and 11 of those are open splits. We probably want to keep a minimum order target in mind, I'm thinking somewhere between 20-30 sacks. And although I really like to hang out with you guys, I would not likely drive down for just 10# of specialty grains.

That said, bundled efforts are great and play well within our hobby. We have such a small group and it surprises me that we get so few new knocks on our door, short of begging for letting them in. Isn't this one of the best resources around?

All I see you drinking anymore is big IIPA's so what in the heck are you going to do with smoked malt? A smoked IIPA? Interesting...may be a new BJCP style! I knew you were up to something!

there is going to be an IPA speciality in the new guidelines.... why not a smoked IIPA!

A guy that kills a sack of munich on one batch can't handle a full sack of smoked wheat by himself?

I might be interested in some. How smokey is it? Strong like peat malt or more like the weaker rauschmalt? Got a good recipe you use it in?

depends on what they have available. if you get a Gratzer anywhere, that SHOULD be 100% smoked wheat. so its not too bad. now I have a smoked porter on tap that tastes like bacon :) different malt. I would prefer a lighter smoked wheat, so I can make a gratzer, and add in hints of smoke to other things.

Greetings!

I would like to add

Cheers, Fred

Nice way to pick up some if this splits!!

What was the final verdict on the pale chocolate malt? I got 5# in the previous split and if it's similar I can take 5-10# since my wife like the porter so much.

The majority of the sites that sell it, both full sacks and by the pound, at least from what I have seen, say it is in the 225-275L range.

See it here:

http://www.fiftypoundsack.com/products/Crisp-Pale-Chocolate-Malt.html

"Pale Chocolate malts are fairly new on the brewing scene. They allow you to amp up the chocolate malt flavor in your brown ales and porters, without making the beer too dark. It also allows more fine tuning of your recipe.
Average Color: 225°L
Country of Origin: U.K.

TYPICAL ANALYSIS
Moisture ......................................................................... 3.0%
Usage ......................................................................up to 10%
Extract FG, Dry Basis .......................................................... 77%
Color ................................................................ 225º Lovibond"

I am going with that info, unless I can see some definitive proof otherwise.

I also found this:

http://www.crispmalt.co/docs/Crisp Coloured Malt.pdf

That shows two different EBC colors for their Chocolate (a pale and a normal). The first is 700 EBC, which is 262L. The second is 1100 EBC, which is 413L.

GOD love the power of the almighty GOOGLE!

The majority of the sites that sell it, both full sacks and by the pound, at least from what I have seen, say it is in the 225-275L range.

See it here:

http://www.fiftypoundsack.com/products/Crisp-Pale-Chocolate-Malt.html

"Pale Chocolate malts are fairly new on the brewing scene. They allow you to amp up the chocolate malt flavor in your brown ales and porters, without making the beer too dark. It also allows more fine tuning of your recipe.
Average Color: 225°L
Country of Origin: U.K.

TYPICAL ANALYSIS
Moisture ......................................................................... 3.0%
Usage ......................................................................up to 10%
Extract FG, Dry Basis .......................................................... 77%
Color ................................................................ 225º Lovibond"

I am going with that info, unless I can see some definitive proof otherwise.

I also found this:

http://www.crispmalt.co/docs/Crisp Coloured Malt.pdf

That shows two different EBC colors for their Chocolate (a pale and a normal). The first is 700 EBC, which is 262L. The second is 1100 EBC, which is 413L.

GOD love the power of the almighty GOOGLE!

Thanks! And I get the hint to use google ;)

Nice way to pick up some if this splits!!

I've been experimenting with porters and stouts the last few batches. SWMBO has requested a Cascadian Dark Ale, and I have a few more batches lined up that align perfectly with these specialty grains, so tip of the hat to you for starting some very amenable splits :) I can hit up Nepenthe for the straggling quarter- or half-pounds of specialty grain that this doesn't cover. :mug::ban:

I've been experimenting with porters and stouts the last few batches. SWMBO has requested a Cascadian Dark Ale, and I have a few more batches lined up that align perfectly with these specialty grains, so tip of the hat to you for starting some very amenable splits :) I can hit up Nepenthe for the straggling quarter- or half-pounds of specialty grain that this doesn't cover. :mug::ban:

OR you can pick them up at 3 stars when you pick up your grains...keeping them happy means this deal will be around a long time, just sayin'. And now that they are okay with us starting later so we end right before growler hours means we can also take home some of their product...Looking forward to that!

What/where is this DC homebrew competition? Link?

I would like to get on this please and get a price for the following and possible delivery date.

Spring Brewing time is coming up...

2 ea Pilsner
2 ea Maris Otter
2 ea Munich

I would like to get on this please and get a price for the following and possible delivery date.

Spring Brewing time is coming up...

2 ea Pilsner
2 ea Maris Otter
2 ea Munich

Send me your email address for the price sheet and splits list.

Buy ends 15 March and will need to be picked up 22 March. Please read the first post for more info/details.

All,
I'm planning a 22oz bomber buy in bulk. Each pallet comes with 1260 bottles in cardboard cases. Bottles are .60 each after S&H. I've got some teammates from GRIST in and wanted to expand the pool.

Please respond to this or PM me with interest. I'd like a commitment for a minimum 4 case buy.

Thanks..

Brew On!!

:mug:

I got 5-6 cases at The Meridian Pint in DC for free. They tweeted it some time ago. Just bring bags and ask at the bar. They had both corkable and the caps ones. All the bottles needed was a good wash. They have a great selection of beers as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back