DC Area Group Buy #7

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do. I basically grew it from a couple of cans of Heady Topper. I am actually just draining a pair of carboys tonight and saving off the yeast for the next time I use it. I can definitely hook you up with enough yeast to get a start going...doesn't take much. I brewed my Pliney The Elder clone and used this yeast with it to see what happens. It adds some peach notes if fermented at 62 or so.

There is also a guy who grows it and sells it online. Search this forum and you will find the website.

I don't want to derail the thread too far, but all the sources of Conan that I'm aware of are dry.
ECY29 - love2brew.com - sold out
YG001 - yeastgeek.bigcartel.com - sold out
Vermont Ale - theyeastbay.com - sold out
GY054 - gigayeast.com - doesn't sell to homebrewers

Stonebrewer, I'd love to take you up on the offer. I don't get out to Rockville too often, but maybe I can make a special trip soon. I'll PM you if I can make that work. Thanks!

I'd be in for some Conan, too!

But back on topic - I think I will get a bag of Golden Promise myself for now. If I get second thoughts I might open it for a split later (if nothing else just to keep IslandLizard busy :mug:)

EDIT: Is there a split open for the Torrified Wheat?

Any of you guys got a line on this Conan yeast I keep hearing about. I'd like to try it to see what all the fuss is about.

3 Stars sells it. You were literally standing in a building that sells it!! :)
Bootleg Biology "The Magi" is apparently the Conan strain (per Mike in the homebrew shop). Picked up a vial on Saturday with the grain pick-up, got it started in 4L of starter wort for a Sunday morning 10 gallon brew day. Planning to save 500mL of that starter for future brews.
Bootleg Biology doesn't produce yeast often and not sure who sells their yeast, I think only 3 Stars locally, got lucky they still had a few of their strains on Saturday. The guy used to live in Arlington, but moved to Nasheville. I also picked up S. Arlingtonesis (http://bootlegbiology.com/available-yeast/local-yeast/arlington-va/). The Magi isn't even on the site, that was a just a tip I got form Mike.

ok, so someone should propse a split of something smoky (not peat). wheat or oats or barley... i can do 15 lbs in the 2.5 years it lasts....

just a thought :)

(wheat would be my preference)

I would be in for smoked wheat, yes, but no more than 5 pounds.

I have a smoked RIS here, given to me, that allegedly has 14# of smoked barley in it. That's still waiting for a special occasion...

My order:

Bags
1x BRI1003 Briess Pale Ale 50 lb

Splits
10# Caramel 40 (Briess) (from djpuckett)
10# Victory® (Briess) (from reddskinnfan)
5# Torrified Wheat (Muntons) (from reddskinnfan)

Kenny, regarding your splits, I think you're looking at the #6 buy, the one we've already distributed on Saturday.

Please ask stonebrewer for a link to the current one, #7. None of these splits are available right now, but could be started...

Apologies! I was given the wrong list.

My order:

Bags

Splits
10# Briess 2-Row Carapils® 50 lb (reddskinnfan)
10# Briess 2-Row Caramel 120L 50 lb (reddskinnfan)

Starting a split of:
10# Torrified Wheat (Muntons)

My order:

Bags

Splits

Starting a split of:

I will hop on 10# of the Torrified Wheat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Home Brew mobile app

I'd be in for some Conan, too!

But back on topic - I think I will get a bag of Golden Promise myself for now. If I get second thoughts I might open it for a split later (if nothing else just to keep IslandLizard busy :mug:)

EDIT: Is there a split open for the Torrified Wheat?

Golden Promise added for you.

My order:

Bags

Splits

Starting a split of:

All added.
Please Note:
You're the primary buyer for the Torrified Wheat, so the whole sack will be billed to you. You in turn collect the monies (PayPal) from the splits on that sack from the various people participating. See the Splits Tab for who will owe what to whom. This is dynamically updated now. Aye, New Google Sheets!

I will hop on 10# of the Torrified Wheat.

Added you to kenny_d's split.

I doubt we can get the terrified wheat, but we will try again...and I am sick of autocorrect changing t-o-rrified to terrified!!!

Do you think its in short supply and thus is the reason it was shorted on the order? Or do you think they are just too "terrified" to sell it?

Do you think its in short supply and thus is the reason it was shorted on the order? Or do you think they are just too "terrified" to sell it?

I just don't think they sell that much so it isn't in stock very often...but let's give it another try...after all I don't know!

According to Mike from 3 Stars it showed in stock at time of ordering and when the order came in it showed out of stock. He said BSG's inventory system is not reliable, but he was told they're working on it to make it better. Yeah right, how much does it take?

current_stock = current_stock - order_quantity​

That's some real tricky programming! ;)

In a previous life I inherited a system that was in production for well over a year and while skimming over a quarterly summary report something caught my eye. Some tallies showed consistently 0+1=0. When asking the programmer what was up with that he said: "oh, must be a typo, we'll fix it" $2000 later that line was fixed. At least no client was disadvantaged because of that oversight.

Okay, I know this sucks and I am sorry, but I have to make a change to my order. BigBeavK and I are working out a "outside the buy" split on previously purchased items. As such, I need the following changed for me:

• Change my Simpson Golden Promise to a split, and add BigBeavK as a buyer. We will split the bag 50/50.
  • Remove the Premium Pils bag from my order.
  • Remove my cut of the Briess C120 split and move the purchase of the bag to another buyer (Mason or Kenny_D).
  • Add a split for Munton's Dark Crystal, with me getting 10# (Tony will probably want to jump on this, too, since it is UK 135L Crystal Malt (for his Arrogant Bastard fun!!)).

Thanks,

-Mike

Okay, I know this sucks and I am sorry, but I have to make a change to my order. BigBeavK and I are working out a "outside the buy" split on previously purchased items. As such, I need the following changed for me:

• Change my Simpson Golden Promise to a split, and add BigBeavK as a buyer. We will split the bag 50/50.
  • Remove the Premium Pils bag from my order.
  • Remove my cut of the Briess C120 split and move the purchase of the bag to another buyer (Mason or Kenny_D).
  • Add a split for Munton's Dark Crystal, with me getting 10# (Tony will probably want to jump on this, too, since it is UK 135L Crystal Malt (for his Arrogant Bastard fun!!)).

Thanks,

-Mike

I made the edits. Please check.

Please Note:
Masonsjax is now the primary buyer for the C120.

Just for kicks, I took the liberty to look up some of the grain specs on the split list.

Crisp "Pale" Chocolate is 350-450°L which makes it darker than Briess Chocolate @350°L? I would not call 350°L "pale" by any standard, let stand 450.

I do have some "pale chocolate" malt from Thomas Fawcett and it's definitely a lot lighter than Briess Chocolate malt. It's a dark brown, like a good roasted coffee and smells and tastes like it too.
MDHB lists: "About half the lovibond of regular chocolate malt and not as bitter. 185-250L, Thomas Fawcett." That looks and sounds about right.

Briess' Extra Special is 130°L, making it a tad lighter than Special B, but is roasted. Annapolis Homebrew's grain list subtitles Extra Special as Briess' "Pale Chocolate." They also refer to Briess' Special Roast (50°L) as "Brown Malt."

Confused yet? :drunk:

Frits,

From all of the additional info I have found on the subject, the Crisp Pale Chocolate is, on average, 225-250L per batch. Of course the exact color differs from batch to batch, but that is what I have found.

See here:

http://www.graintoglasshomebrew.com/product_p/20072001.htm

and here:

http://www.fiftypoundsack.com/products/Crisp-Pale-Chocolate-Malt.html

-Mike

Frits,

From all of the additional info I have found on the subject, the Crisp Pale Chocolate is, on average, 225-250L per batch. Of course the exact color differs from batch to batch, but that is what I have found.

See here:

http://www.graintoglasshomebrew.com/product_p/20072001.htm

and here:

http://www.fiftypoundsack.com/products/Crisp-Pale-Chocolate-Malt.html

-Mike

Strange that much of the info is so different. I'd probably take what's on the malster's info sheet as being correct.

Crisp Malting themselves don't even list Pale Chocolate on their website. For Chocolate they give this:
Chocolate Malt IoB: 820-1000 EBC EBC: 900-1100 EBC ASBC: 340-420 °L

So a Pale version, if it indeed exists, would be lower and 225-250L makes sense.

However, BSG (our supplier) lists:
Crisp Pale Chocolate 25 kg (55 lb)
Wort Color: 350-450 °Lovibond (933-1200 EBC)

Crisp Chocolate 25 kg (55 lb)
Wort Color: 600-700 °Lovibond (1600-1865 EBC)

Wonder where BSG gets that from.

Strange that much of the info is so different. I'd probably take what's on the malster's info sheet as being correct.

Crisp Malting themselves don't even list Pale Chocolate on their website. For Chocolate they give this:
Chocolate Malt IoB: 820-1000 EBC EBC: 900-1100 EBC ASBC: 340-420 °L

So a Pale version, if it indeed exists, would be lower and 225-250L makes sense.

However, BSG (our supplier) lists:
Crisp Pale Chocolate 25 kg (55 lb)
Wort Color: 350-450 °Lovibond (933-1200 EBC)

Crisp Chocolate 25 kg (55 lb)
Wort Color: 600-700 °Lovibond (1600-1865 EBC)

Wonder where BSG gets that from.

This is so cool that you are looking into this :mug: it might make me want to jump in on the split!

Thanks for the opportunity guys but I found a closer HBS that has similar opportunities. I apologize for wasting your time!

Thanks for the opportunity guys but I found a closer HBS that has similar opportunities. I apologize for wasting your time!

No problem, it happens.

1. Removed Kenny's grain order and splits.
  2. Funnycreature inherits the Horrified Wheat. That split is back in your yard again. :mug:

I only signed up for terrified wheat last buy just to close out a split. Then when I didn't get it I felt cheated. I WANT MY TERRIFIED WHEAT.

10 lbs, please.

I'd like to add

1 x Crisp Gleneagles Maris Otter 25 kg (55 lb)

and jump on the torrified wheat split

10# Torrified Wheat

If we need later, I can probably be talked into jumping on some additional splits.

-Matt

I'd like to add

1 x Crisp Gleneagles Maris Otter 25 kg (55 lb)

and jump on the torrified wheat split

10# Torrified Wheat

If we need later, I can probably be talked into jumping on some additional splits.

-Matt

Both added.
Yes please! When we get closer to the order date any help in closing splits is very appreciated.

I'd like to open two more splits, just to keep IslandLizard busy:
  1. Brown Malt (CRI1051); I'll take the first 10lbs
  2. Golden Promise (SIM1002); please put me down for half (27.5lbs)

:mug:

I would like to add a new split:
- WEY1016 Weyermann® Vienna 25 Kg (55 Lb.); I want 20#

I'll also take the other half of funnycreature's Golden Promise (27.5 lbs).

I'd like to open two more splits, just to keep IslandLizard busy:
  1. Brown Malt (CRI1051); I'll take the first 10lbs
  2. Golden Promise (SIM1002); please put me down for half (27.5lbs)

:mug:

I would like to add a new split:
- WEY1016 Weyermann® Vienna 25 Kg (55 Lb.); I want 20#

I'll also take the other half of funnycreature's Golden Promise (27.5 lbs).

OK, both of your orders added. 370 lbs of splits are open. You guys got to drum up some more brewers to take those pounds off... :D

Yeah, let's give that spreadsheet a bit of a workout.

Back