Corrupted co2 in chico??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmiller224

Reaction score
Hi guys, So I was wondering I just moved to chico for school and ran out of co2 because I had a kegerator leak... Got it filled up at the home brew shop in town. And didn't think anything of it when the owner said she had a paintball set up. Should I be worried this isn't food grade co2??

*Edit* i ask this because my Sierra Nevada pale ale has a metallic taste to it and my home brew has a sour taste to it

Hi and welcome to town! Good news! No such thing as food grade CO2. Sure, maybe lab grade, but other than that CO2 is CO2. Secondly, mjb welding supply on east park is waaaaay cheaper than the hbs. Will swap out a 20# for something like $30. Love the Chico hbs though.

Thanks! Chico is amazing! Gotta to love chico state :) We'll you see the thing is I have my own co2 tanks.. Both are either brand new or basically brand new :/ do you think it would be cheaper to "buy" one of those c02 tanks because I am not giving up my brand new ones. And if so how much would it cost?

Good question. I'm not super sure what it would cost to refill your tanks, but given the fee to swap it seems like it would be super cheap to refill too. Swapping is pretty awesome tho. Bring the empty, 30 sec and 30 bucks later and you have gas! Works just like propane tanks, kegs, etc.

30 dollars? For how big of a tank? It was shocked it was $26 for 5 lbs I'm use to paying $10.

Hi guys, So I was wondering I just moved to chico for school and ran out of co2 because I had a kegerator leak... Got it filled up at the home brew shop in town. And didn't think anything of it when the owner said she had a paintball set up. Should I be worried this isn't food grade co2??

*Edit* i ask this because my Sierra Nevada pale ale has a metallic taste to it and my home brew has a sour taste to it

Can't comment on CO2 prices because I'm not anywhere near Chico but metallic taste comes from metals and a couple other possibilities and sour means infected unless you brewed a sour intentionally:(

As mentioned though, CO2 is CO2.............

Maybe I've had one (or two or three) too many home brews, but I swear the 20lb swap at mjb welding in Chico (check out my original reply to you) is about $30. I know, it seems too good to be true. But give them a ring tomorrow and see. I am going to feel like I am taking crazy pills (or someone over there really likes me) if it is substantially more! I know that the price was so good that the hbs (which I love, please shop there often :) ) wasn't even close to competitive.

Dang, the mystery continues until morning!

That's insanity. I pay $15 and change for a 5 lb swap. Have you looked at other places like welding shops or fire extinguisher refill places?

Are you in California? Because they have all kinds of environmental fees for hazardous materials and the like.

Apparently dawn says there's a hazmat fee every single time you get a refill no matter how big or small.. Which I've never heard of but where else am I going to go haha. I just don't want to keep blowing through money since I'm a college student.

We'll dawn is one of the best resources in town, that is for sure! Going to be a bummer if you're paying $26 for 5# and I'm paying $30 for 20#! Where'd you come from btw?

Thousand Oaks CA aka So Cal. I am a member of the Maltose Falcons aka the oldest home brewing club in America. So it's pretty different up here. Different prices, temperatures, water etc.

I also had wonderful resources where I was. And was friends with all the brew shop people

Back