Cider with potassium sorbate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vekzero

Reaction score
All the local ciders in the mom & pop shops have potassium sorbate in them. Can I still use it for hard cider brewing?

I have seen ciders that lists "less that 1% potassium sorbate" is that enough to kill the yeast?

>I have seen ciders that lists "less that 1% potassium sorbate" is that enough to kill the yeast?

The dosage is on the order of 1/2 tsp per gallon, so 1% isn't necessarily a small amount.

I tried an experiment last year with some farmstand-style treated ciders. In one I got some fermentation with a full pack of dry yeast in a gallon. In another, I got nothing even after adding a fresh yeast cake from a 5g beer batch. Theoretically the sorbate inhibits reproduction, so if you add enough yeast it should work, but didn't even with a pint of yeast.

Save time and money and use raw cider or cheap juice.

Apparently there's a way to finagle the sorbate out. See: http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=913

I have NO idea if this will work, but basically they suggest pitching some bread yeast and letting that go to the end. Then you rack and repitch a proper brewers yeast.

Saves drinking boring unfermented cider...

Gave this a shot, and I went through a tu-hhooon of bread yeast--first a 2L starter, then just started adding it in dry. Got nowhere, but the cider was super cheap (which is why I was too excited to check the label in the first place). Went sour before the yeast took hold. Live and learn.

Assuming this can work, I expect the amount of potassium sorbate can vary widely, so you're talking about a large difference in the amount of yeast you'd need to suck it up. On the upper end of the scale, I suppose it's just totally impractical. Plus, I can't help but think I was giving the cider odd bread yeasty flavors, even without seeing a krausen.

Safeway has Honey Crisp Apple Cider on sale now for five bucks a gallon. I used it to make a super tasty tropical hard cider name "Hard Inn Cider South of the Equator."

I've fermented sorbated cider every year for the past 3-4 years. Except for last year when I got some fresh-pressed cider. Sorbate does inhibit yeast reproduction but not fermentation, so if you have a big enough active yeast pitch, you can overwhelm the inhibition. Here's how I've done it:
1. One method is just use the whole yeast cake from justfinished fermentation.
2. Another method is to do a Graf. Start the beer portion fermenting a day or two before you add the cider.
3. Third method is to start 1 gallon of non-sorbated cider or apple juice fermenting, then add the sorbated cider a couple days in. This is what I did this year- I found the Honeycrisp nonsorbated cider mentioned above. Started 2 G of that fermenting with WY1450, then 2 days later added 3.5G of sorbated Macintosh cider. I started it back on 9/30, and just bottled it 3 days ago. OG was 1.054. FG=1.006. Flavor was pretty good.

Last edited:
Back