Expired Yeast Nutrient and Chemicals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oyarsa

Reaction score
My wife and I are on a budget. I would like to make a cider, but the apple juice required and for 5 gallons and yeast uses up most of my bi-weekly budget!

I have yeast nutrient, potassium metabisulfite, potassium sorbate, and pectic enzyme. The packets are probably all a couple of years old, though. They are all opened, but in their original resealable bags. They've been kept in a garage that gets relatively cold and relatively hot at times, but nothing extreme.

Is there any issue with using these other than that they may not work? I'm not sure the yeast nutrient is necessary since I wouldn't be doing anything extreme. I would like to back-sweeten, but if the potassium metabisulfite and sorbate didn't work, a little extra alcohol and dryness wouldn't be the end of the world for me. I probably won't even bother with the pectic enzyme, but I'm curious if that expires.

Any thoughts? Am I better off just not using any of them?

Latest posts

Back