Caramel cream ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a batch of this that has been in the fermenter for two days now and is bubbling quite nicely. I took a sniff at the airlock and got a slightly sulfurous odor that finished caramely and sweet.

I know that some yeasts produce this sulfur odor and I was wondering if anyone else experienced this with their batches? It is very possible that I have an infection as I had many mistakes due to several pieces of new equipment (and it wasn't my first kit brew) that threw off my routine.

Matt

unclesamskid said:
I have a batch of this that has been in the fermenter for two days now and is bubbling quite nicely. I took a sniff at the airlock and got a slightly sulfurous odor that finished caramely and sweet.

I know that some yeasts produce this sulfur odor and I was wondering if anyone else experienced this with their batches? It is very possible that I have an infection as I had many mistakes due to several pieces of new equipment (and it wasn't my first kit brew) that threw off my routine.

Matt

RDWHAHB!

Don't worry about it till you pour it into the glass...

Cheese, I recommend you bottle or prime with Honey at least once with this because, i don't know if it's just the way it is or if it's the honey, but this beer carbed great... I chilled a couple the other day (couldn't wait for st. patty's) and the first one i popped liked to have thrown the cap across the room and it was carbed all through the beer too, killer head thank god i got a 21 oz Hefeweizen glass...

We just put Cheese's recipe in the primary last weekend. Its fermenting nicely, and we are looking forward to giving it a try. It smelled wonderful, and we picked up some very nice real vanilla extract from Penzey's.

Gedvondur

Ok, if it is not broke don't fix it right.

Well, i have about 3 lbs of honey malt. i would like to use some for the sweetness as opposed to all of the lactose. if i divide the lactose in half and use 2lbs of honey malt do you think i will have the same sweetness?

let me know, brewing will begin in 45 min.

Reverend JC said:
Ok, if it is not broke don't fix it right.

Well, i have about 3 lbs of honey malt. i would like to use some for the sweetness as opposed to all of the lactose. if i divide the lactose in half and use 2lbs of honey malt do you think i will have the same sweetness?

let me know, brewing will begin in 45 min.

Lactose doesn't ferment. I don't know honey malt well enough to tell you how it'll work.

Yeah, the lactose will create some real upfront sweetness. The honey malt creates a nice malt sweetness. a bit different. I am going to use 3/4 the amount of lactose and 2lbs of honey malt and up the IBUs just a bit to make up for the extra malt being used.

I will post the results in 6 weeks.

I served this up today after kegging it two weeks ago. After a pint or two, I got a wild hair you know where and did a half and half with a Guinness Extra Stout WOW. :rockin: The taste was out of this world. I can't wait to have my buddys try it on Sunday during my 'suprise birthday party".
Thanks again Cheese for the recipie.
Leo

I need help.

lets say i was going to enter this brew into a competition.

It was supposed to be a session beer though. I would need to lower the OG. and then lower the hops accordingly.

I was thinking this for the malts.

4lbs 2 row
3lbs wheat
1.0 lb crystal 80

for an OG of 1.044 at 75%

what should i do for the hops? The original recipe on page 6 of this thread says IBUs are at 28.9 Should i lower them to around 25? or is that slight diff even perceptable?

Are any of these hops acceptable subs for saazer? galena-perle-williamette-horizon-cluster? I am thinking not.

Help would be greatly appreciated as i need to get my entry from in soon.

The reason for the crystal 80 is 40 was not offered as part of the grain list usable.

I guess I should have asked this earlier. I'm brewing the ver 2 recipe tonight. I've seen the question posed as to the boil volume, but never the answer. I'm currently planning a partial boil, around 3 gallons. I'm still working on the kitchen stove, so although I have a large enough pot to do a full boil, getting enough heat out of the stove is limiting me. (I knew I should have finished setting up the BC turkey fryer burner.) Should I be doing a full boil? Could I add hops to compensate for the higher gravity partial boil?

I am sure you will be fine either way. This sounds like more of a sweet beer than a hoppy one, so I would just do the partial boil with the hops recommended in the recipe.

Kayos said:
I am sure you will be fine either way. This sounds like more of a sweet beer than a hoppy one, so I would just do the partial boil with the hops recommended in the recipe.

It is sweeter than hoppy at first but once it gets to around 30 days bottled the hops are more pronounced and the vanilla and caramel blend really well and get really subtle...

BTW Cheese any idea how long this beer stays good, done any tests?

Been looking @ this brew for three months. decided to brew it this weekend. also brewing a wheat beer w/ boysenberry ( my attempt at longshot winner ), SWMBO loved that beer . so basically 2 in 1 day. Can you Give me a hell yea ( sorry early 90's wrestling coming through)

Brewed it again tonight. This time I did use the 1007 German Yeast. While I was brewing I finished the last of my first batch. I PM a bit more grain this time and raised the SG to 1.066. Other then that followed V1.

Wow, that's a high OG. My ver 2, made to the recipe came out at 1.040.

I used the Wyeast 1007 as well. Reading the 1007 specs, the optimum fermentation temp is noted as 55-68 F, they also note that higher fermentation temps "may produce some mild fruitiness". I pitched the yeast at about 70, let it start cranking up and then put it in a tub of water in my garage. This stabilizes things in the low 60's. What temps have others used for this recipe?

Yea its a little higher then it was originally made, but I didnt add corn sugar to it to raise it. Instaed of just using an extract recipe I used a partial mash and mashed more grain. I am looking forward to the finished results.

I think i've read this thread about 15 times wanting to brew but i've been on hold due to house renovations, but not today!
The boil is rolling on the stove, the dog is begging to be let out, and everything smells like a brewery.... ahhhh.....

DeadYetiBrew said:
It is sweeter than hoppy at first but once it gets to around 30 days bottled the hops are more pronounced and the vanilla and caramel blend really well and get really subtle...

I'm glad to hear that. I tasted it before I added all the extra ingredients at bottling and was impressed, then after a couple of weeks I've sampled a few and it just seems way too sweet (more like cream soda than beer). I don't know how I'm going to feel about this particular homebrew in the end.

Brewed this about 6 weeks ago and finally cracked a few open last night. My friends and I were all thrilled with how this came out, and I've already been told to brew another batch. Awesome recipe man!

MIne's in the primary bubbling nicely. Followed V1 and my OG was 1.068. I did a full boil ( 5 gal). Could that raise th OG?

I am waiting on the mash for this recipe right now but need some clarification on something. I add the 4oz of lactose and the 4oz of vanilla extract to the primary and then add the wort right?

AleHole said:
I am waiting on the mash for this recipe right now but need some clarification on something. I add the 4oz of lactose and the 4oz of vanilla extract to the primary and then add the wort right?

You can add them at any stage. I'd wait till the secondary or prior to bottling / kegging so you don't loose the flavors to the trub.

Thanks Cheese! I will add 4 oz of vanilla in primary then 4 oz of vanilla and 4 oz of lactose when I rack to secondary. Will the lactose dissolve though or do I need to boil it like corn sugar?

AleHole said:
Thanks Cheese! I will add 4 oz of vanilla in primary then 4 oz of vanilla and 4 oz of lactose when I rack to secondary. Will the lactose dissolve though or do I need to boil it like corn sugar?

Boil it, then cool it and add it into the carboy with the vanilla BEFORE racking on it. This will make sure it's properly blended and prevent aeration.

Cheesefood said:
Boil it, then cool it and add it into the carboy with the vanilla BEFORE racking on it. This will make sure it's properly blended and prevent aeration.

Thanks again for the help. The recipe posted in the recipe section is a bit confusing. I will be sure to keep you posted on the results. Thanks for the recipe and the help once again!
:mug:

AleHole said:
Thanks again for the help. The recipe posted in the recipe section is a bit confusing, maybe a quick edit to the recipe to include instructions for the lactose and vanilla could prevent having the same qustions asked. I will be sure to keep you posted on the results. Thanks for the recipe and the help once again!:mug:

At the risk of sounding rude, this topic is discussed on the second page and others.

Woke up to a VERY vigourous fermentation. Now I know why this is also called Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale
:rockin:

Two quick questions that weren't answered in the first 15 pages or so of this thread:

1) Cheesefood's original Recipe calls for 3lb of Light Wheat DME. Austinhomebrew.com only has Wheat DME. Can i interchange the two without significantly affecting the flavor.

2) Just making sure, this is a full-boil right? Until now i've only done partial boils. If i adjust the hops appropriately, can i do this recipe with a partial boil and keep the flavor?

efreem01 said:
Two quick questions that weren't answered in the first 15 pages or so of this thread:

1) Cheesefood's original Recipe calls for 3lb of Light Wheat DME. Austinhomebrew.com only has Wheat DME. Can i interchange the two without significantly affecting the flavor.

2) Just making sure, this is a full-boil right? Until now i've only done partial boils. If i adjust the hops appropriately, can i do this recipe with a partial boil and keep the flavor?

1. Yes.

2. I've only done it as partial boils.

Hey cheese, thanks for the speedy response. I'm buying the ingredients today and brewing this up next sunday. It looks a great recipe. I'll tell you how it goes.

I brewed this beer (ver. 1) 1 week ago and my SG was 1.054. After being in the primary all week the bubbling had slowed to about 1 every 15 seconds so I thought I would rack to secondary to finish off.

My gravity reading was 1.016. I don't remember reading anywhere in this thread what the FG should be. Well fermentation completely stopped.

I am pretty new to brewing and am wondering why it stopped for one thing. Also how is this going to affect the future of this batch, mainly will it carbonate in the bottles? I was thinking the yeast was still in suspension, but did it stop because I took it off the yeast cake?

Any insite is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

bobby1212 said:
I brewed this beer (ver. 1) 1 week ago and my SG was 1.054. After being in the primary all week the bubbling had slowed to about 1 every 15 seconds so I thought I would rack to secondary to finish off.

My gravity reading was 1.016. I don't remember reading anywhere in this thread what the FG should be. Well fermentation completely stopped.

I am pretty new to brewing and am wondering why it stopped for one thing. Also how is this going to affect the future of this batch, mainly will it carbonate in the bottles? I was thinking the yeast was still in suspension, but did it stop because I took it off the yeast cake?

Any insite is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

If you look through old posts, typical FG is about 1.012-1.014. You're not way high, but it could have ued a few more days. It stopped fermenting because you took it off the cake.

Brewed this on sat. the 24th and i took a look this morning and its giving me bubbles @ about 2 a minute

Cheesefood,

Thanks for the reply. If I leave it in secondary for a couple of weeks will it come down some more?

There must still be yeast in suspension, isn't that how it carbonates in the bottles when you prime.

Cheesefood said:
EDIT 2/20/07: Please do not PM me with questions on this recipe. Post them to this thread. I get way too many questions that are already answered within this long thread, so consider reading the entire thing (or using the Search function) prior to posting.

Here's the final recipe that I'm brewing RIGHT NOW.

Malts
3 pounds extra light DME
3 pounds light wheat DME
1 pound Caramel 60L (steeped for 45 minutes at 150'-165')

Hops
1oz Cascade for bittering (60 minutes)
.5oz Saaz for flavor (20 minutes)
.5 oz Tettnang for aroma (end of boil)

Yeast
Wyeast German Ale

Extras
1 tsp Irish Moss (10 minutes)
4oz Lactose @ 15 minutes
2 oz real vanilla extract

Priming
>1cup Lactose
4oz vanilla (Be careful! This may be too much vanilla for some people.)
1.5 cups light DME

I'm adding the Lactose in the last 15 minutes of the boil. I'll add the vanilla in the primary, because I don't want to risk losing any that bonds to the trub. So far, it smells fantastic but I'm still at the bittering hops boil. I think this should end up with a nice caramel flavor and a good hint (perhaps a suggestion size amount) of vanilla. I've had vanillas with way too much flavor and they tasted too much like candy. This should have a decent balance.

Notes: 11/4/05

So good. Can't even explain it - you simply must make this beer. I let it prime for almost 2 weeks before fridging it, then cracked one tonight after only about 30 hours. Great head, good lace, nice color, good body and nose. Pictures won't do it justice, but here's one anyways

cv.jpg

Cheese, is this v2 for the for the hopheads/not-so-sweet people or did you modify this one?

Edit: nevermind. I'll keep searching for the answer.

I plan on brewing this either today (if i have time) or during the week. Today i get to bottle my Honey Brown Ale. I just have one question about the recipe. I plan on doing a partial boil and i'm wondering how many gallons everyone has used. If i'm not mistaken, Cheesefood used a partial boil for the original. In this long thread, i've seen someone mention that they did a 3 gallon boil.

Cheesefood, how many gallons did you use for the boil? Until now, i've generally used 2.5, but i want to get the right hop utilization for the recipe.

Thanks,

bobby1212 said:
Cheesefood,

Thanks for the reply. If I leave it in secondary for a couple of weeks will it come down some more?

There must still be yeast in suspension, isn't that how it carbonates in the bottles when you prime.

Secondary is only for clearing, and very little if any fermentation takes place there.

Yes there are still yeast in suspension, but probably not enough to ferment what is left, because as Cheese said, you took it off the yeast cake too soon. It is enough for bottling, but keep in mind, you also add additional sugar prior to bottling, so the yeast have enough food to carbonate.

Your FG of 1.016 is fine. I'd wait the full two weeks in secondary, and check it again, but it probably won't drop too much. If it doesn't change you are still good for bottling.

I just read all 40 pages of this post. Do I get some kind of award for that?

I am looking forward to brewing this tomorrow.

Back