Caramel cream ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
skou said:
Caramel malt is also called Crystal malt. See if they have any of that.

I can't imagine someone not having any caramel malts, my LHBS has over 15 different types!

steve

Ahh I saw Crystal malt there. Oh well this is what I've just done with the ingredients available.

Malts
1.5kg light LME
1kg light wheat DME
300g Dextrose
500g Medium Brown Grain (steeped for 45 minutes at 150'-165')

Hops
1oz Cascade for bittering (60 minutes)
.5oz Saaz for flavor (20 minutes)
.5 oz Tettnang for aroma (dry hopped)

Yeast
Saf US-56 Ale yeast

Extras
1 tsp Irish Moss (10 minutes)
113gm Lactose @ 15 minutes

I will add vanilla extract, caramel flavour and more lactose to the secondary.

Cheers for all of your help. Will let you know how it turns out:)

I'm in the middle of making this right now and just wanted to clarify a point. You guys are adding 2oz of vanilla in the primary adn then another four of vanilla and a cup of lactose along with the usual DME when kegging/bottling? Have I got that right?

Thanks. This recipe sounds fantastic.

Wow Cheesefood this seems like an awesome recipe. I'm definatly doing this after I get a few other brews out the door.

My question has anyone done this without the lactose? I read some suggestions earlier with Splenda or Malto-Dextrin. Anyone actually try these and is it an acceptable substitute?

Well, I sanitized everything, primed the brew got ready to start bottling and realized, "Where the hell are my caps?" Long story short, not enough caps to bottle so I will have to wait for the priming sugar to ferment out now, hopefully not killing too much of the vanilla aroma and flavor. One more reason to keg.

It's been a week and a half and it's in it's last day or two or fermentation. It looks so yummy!

ilikestuff said:
Well, I sanitized everything, primed the brew got ready to start bottling and realized, "Where the hell are my caps?" Long story short, not enough caps to bottle so I will have to wait for the priming sugar to ferment out now, hopefully not killing too much of the vanilla aroma and flavor. One more reason to keg.

I doubt that 5 (or so) ounces of priming sugar will kill too much of your vanilla flavour. R. DW. HAHB. :D (Or, 2!)

steve

Just transferred it to secondary and added some vanilla extract, caramel flavouring and lactose. I can taste the roastyness of the medium brown grain (I couldn't get my hands on any caramel grain) but it still tastes good anyway so far!

Cheese,

I assume you have been through several iterations of your awesome recipe. Can you post below your favorite one to date? It appears that some like a toned down vanilla taste from version one. I think I read you added some Makers Mark bourbon in version two. How did this turn out?

Thanks in advance.
:mug:

I just finished my 1st batch of this stuff. It just looked to good to pass up.

I do have a quick question. I have a lot of sediment floating around in the primary. I ran it through a strainer twice but there's still a lot of stuff in it. Should I try straining one more time or just let it be?

Thanks!

bpcsatx said:
Cheese,

I assume you have been through several iterations of your awesome recipe. Can you post below your favorite one to date? It appears that some like a toned down vanilla taste from version one. I think I read you added some Makers Mark bourbon in version two. How did this turn out?

Thanks in advance.
:mug:

It's like picking which child you love most. They've all been great, in my opinion. V2 was very nice. Most of my friends like V1 the best.

muses_motors said:
I just finished my 1st batch of this stuff. It just looked to good to pass up.

I do have a quick question. I have a lot of sediment floating around in the primary. I ran it through a strainer twice but there's still a lot of stuff in it. Should I try straining one more time or just let it be?

Thanks!

Don't worry about it. It'll settle in the secondary.

Thanks Cheesefood, this is an awesome recipe!

I had a wee sip yesterday while bottling and even though it was young and flat it tasted soooo good!

What's the longest you've aged a bottle for and how did it taste?

Cheese, I'm finally jumping on the VCCA bandwagon, but I'm scaling down to a smaller batch size, and adjusting the hop sched a little for what I have on hand...couple questions on the recipe posted in the database:

The recipe header says 28.48 IBUs, but the BeerTools report says 47? I'm thinking the header info is from the original extract recipe, and the smaller batch size and better utilization from the AG full boil gave the higher BeerTools number? Or is there something else going on here?

And also:
Cheesefood said:
02:20:36 Sparge - Sparge: 5.0 gal sparge @ 170.0 °F, 11.0 gal collected, 45.0 min; Total Runoff: 11.0 gal

That 11-gal runoff is some kind of bizarre BeerTools error, right? Or did you really boil for like 40 days and 40 nights?

Bike N Brew said:
Cheese, I'm finally jumping on the VCCA bandwagon, but I'm scaling down to a smaller batch size, and adjusting the hop sched a little for what I have on hand...couple questions on the recipe posted in the database:

The recipe header says 28.48 IBUs, but the BeerTools report says 47? I'm thinking the header info is from the original extract recipe, and the smaller batch size and better utilization from the AG full boil gave the higher BeerTools number? Or is there something else going on here?

And also:

That 11-gal runoff is some kind of bizarre BeerTools error, right? Or did you really boil for like 40 days and 40 nights?
Yeah....beware the vanilla. It adds another dimension of bitterness. I'd back off the hops a bit.

So I bottled this last night but I was tired and mindlessly made my DME primer and bottled this ale... forgot all of the vanilla and lactose.. opps

It'll still be good but geez it irks me when I do stuff like that.

I've had version 2 in the fermenter for a little over a week. Temps were a little hot here in San Diego when I started this batch so I immersed the fermenter in a water bath and added some ice last week. Temps around the low end of the Ale range and it's been pretty steady fermentation since with about one big "glorp" out the blowoff every two seconds or so. Krausen is still there so I'm not too worried. First ferment that has gone more than 5 days other than the Apfelwein.
Just an update.

I know this has been asked, but if I can't fine light wheat DME, how much will using just wheat DME (65%wheat,35%barley)? Really looking forward to trying this one!

Mine is now im primary and fermenting at 73 degrees (we're in florida and 73 makes my house COLD this time of year). I took a sample yesterday and we are at about 1.025 so going good. This stuff is sooo good I can definitely expect myself to make more.

Has anyone made another batch of this stuff using the cake from the first. Im thinking that is what I will do next to save myself the $5 for the yeast.. and because I can tell this one is going to go fast.

After two weeks in bottles I tasted it!!!! Couldn't wait.
Wonderful head
Fabulous vanilla aroma
A bit hoppier than it should be (my mistake though)
This should be great in another month.

THANKS CHEESE!!!!!

mrb - glad you like it. The hoppiness will tone down.

As for using wheat DME, no problem. It doesn't need to be light wheat.

As for pitcing on previous yeast, I've done it before and it works great but you'll need a blow-off tube. And I do mean *need*. This has a history of violent fermentations as is, don't even think about pitching on a yeast cake without the tube.

just wondering from all those who have brewed this beer... Is it a really sweet beer? Would it be considered more dessert like? Or can it be brewed as a summer refreshing session beer?

mdf191 said:
just wondering from all those who have brewed this beer... Is it a really sweet beer? Would it be considered more dessert like? Or can it be brewed as a summer refreshing session beer?

It's definately a sweet dessert beer. I like having only one CCA each time I have a drinking session.

Well I have to say I forgot all the lactose and vanilla to add at bottling but guess what.. it's great! :D

19819062283.jpg

This is the 8th day into primary and she is still bubbling every 10 or so seconds. I checked the S.G. a couple of days ago and she was at 1.020 and tasted AWESOME.

Has anyone else seen longer fermentation times with this one?

Muss said:
It's definately a sweet dessert beer. I like having only one CCA each time I have a drinking session.

I've been meaning to try this one.

Does this beer age well? - I too would only be drinking one per session.

5 gallons would last a long time at that rate.

I gave a friend a six pack as a gift a long time ago and it took him forever to finish becasue he didnt want to drink it all... and I tried some that had been in the fridge for close to a year and it tasted great still... I would say it ages well...

Jester said:
I gave a friend a six pack as a gift a long time ago and it took him forever to finish becasue he didnt want to drink it all... and I tried some that had been in the fridge for close to a year and it tasted great still... I would say it ages well...
The longer the better. The vanilla comes on a bit strong early on. I still have 7 22Oz bottles from my batch back in February. I usually crack one when I'm doing an evening brew session. Kind of a tradition.

A bit darker than last time because of the heavier crystal malt, but yummy looking just the same. This is after 4 hours in the primary using a 2 liter starter.

4 hours in fermenter small.jpg

Schlenkerla said:
I've been meaning to try this one.

Does this beer age well? - I too would only be drinking one per session.

5 gallons would last a long time at that rate.

I would say this is the best aging beer i've made so far. As said above the vanilla is incredibly strong at first, but after a few months in the cellar it rocks my socks off every time I have one. A definite repeat.

Weeellll I've FINALLY been able to get myself around to bottle my batch - which, after looking at my last post on this thread, has been about 4 months in the making and I can't wait for it to be ready to drink. I've read a couple people mentioning that the vanilla can add a bitterness to the beer, so I was thinking whether it'll b much of a problem for me considering the fact that I made my own extract with vanilla beans in some vodka, did u guys (as in the people who found the vanilla to add bitterness) use real stuff?

Been on the forum for a while and this brew caught my eye from the get go. I finally purchased my brewing gear and want to give it a try. I will be extract brewing and am not a big fan of wheat beers.....any suggestions on what to replace the wheat DME with?

I'm thinking of making an ICCA for a truly one at a time dessert beer. I'm trying to figure out a good hop balance and if I should up the vanilla at all.

I'm thinking of trying this again as all-grain now that I've stepped up... got great reviews the two times I brewed the extract version...

lpdean said:
I will be extract brewing and am not a big fan of wheat beers.....any suggestions on what to replace the wheat DME with?

If you think you don't like wheat beer because of drinking other "wheat beers" i would suggest using the wheat DME anyhow. Most likely the flavors you associate with wheat are the "funky" smell and taste of wits that comes from a witbier yeast and has nothing to do with the wheat at all. Same with fruity profiles, those usually come from coriander and orange peel.

so can someone tell me where to get the caramel for this recipe? Can't seem to find any at some of the brew shops online. Or is it just plain old caramel? surely not.

let me be the first and probably the most gentle to tell you that the crystal malt in the recipe is what gives this beer the caramel color and its flavor combined with the lactose and vanilla is what gives it a nice subtle carmely flavor.

Reverend JC said:
let me be the first and probably the most gentle to tell you that the crystal malt in the recipe is what gives this beer the caramel color and its flavor combined with the lactose and vanilla is what gives it a nice subtle carmely flavor.

Reverend...you earned your collar today....

Having my first glass tonight - great recipe! I used 2 oz vanilla in the primary and 4at kegging and its beautiful. More vanilla nose than taste, great color, creamy head. Definitely a keeper!

Latest posts

Back