Caramel cream ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
or just look here:

Originally Posted by sonvolt
Can someone post or link to an AG version of this . . . ?

Maybe this?
You can add the vanilla, DME, and Lactose at bottling.

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 9.25
Anticipated OG: 1.052 Plato: 12.91
Anticipated SRM: 9.6
Anticipated IBU: 28.9
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
48.6 4.50 lbs. American 2-row America 1.038 2
37.8 3.50 lbs. Wheat Malt Belgium 1.038 2
10.8 1.00 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60
2.7 0.25 lbs. Milk Sugar Generic 1.030 0

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.80 25.7 60 min.
0.50 oz. Saazer Whole 4.30 3.2 20 min.
0.50 oz. Tettnanger Tettnang Whole 4.50 0.0 0 min.

Yeast Edit: I'm no expert as to what strain of yeast to use.
-----

RICHARD'S HOME BREWERY
Primary Wine: White Zin
Primary: EMPTY
Secondary: Porter
Secondary: EMPTY
Bottled: Richard's Pumpkin Ale
Kegged: Barking Dog Brown
Kegged: Imperial Hellfire Ale (IHA)
Kegged: Fat Tire Clone
Kegged: McDermott's Irish Ale (Mini Mash Test Brew)
Up next: ?????
Planning stages: ?????
Gone but not forgotten: Windy Winter Brown, ESB V1, Honey Ale, ESB V2
Last edited by RichBrewer : 03-29-2006 at 11:38 PM.

I racked this a week ago with a gravity of 1.04 I believe, I would have too look at the note card for it. However, after a week I am still getting perhaps a bubble every 1.5 minutes in the secondary. Its got me a little suprised. The only thing I did different was I had a packet of Safale - 56 that I used for the yeast. I was going to use the 1084 that I had but decided to go with the safale. Hope it dosent ferment it too dry. I guess with adding the lactose at bottling that will correct it anyways, but I wish it would stop now.

Little f up on my part... forgot the light wheat DME... how bad do you think i messed up hah. Will it be a weak beer? [cries]

Well just took a reading and a taste test out of the cylinder. It is down to 1.010 and the taste of vanilla is gone. I see now why it needs to be readded at bottling.
It has however cleared alot better then I thought it woould. It still has a good taste, but I imagine the extra vanila and lactose will make it better after being in the bottle a few weeks. I still wont bottle this for a few days, but it probably wont go a full 2 weeks in the secondary.

Chuganator said:
Little f up on my part... forgot the light wheat DME... how bad do you think i messed up hah. Will it be a weak beer? [cries]

Did you only put in LDME? The WDME is half the sugar weight, so without it the beer will definitely be weak. How long ago did you brew? It might not be too late to save it.

Forgive my newbie question, but if a recipe calls for DME, can one easily sub LME?

Also, regarding the wheat malt extract, what is considered light? I browsed several online retailers, and i'm having a hard time distinguishing which wheat extracts are light or not. Is it the % of wheat vs. barley that makes that difference?

I started it on Tuesday, Jan 30.
Theres a foam on the top about an inch thick but its not bubbling much.. lack of sugars im guessing.
I used a 3lb bag of Muntons Wheat. And still have another 3lb bag of Muntons Extra light. Should i boil up 8 cups or so of water and add the light or is it too late?

Its smelling really freakin nice atm hope it can be saved =/

jer084 said:
Forgive my newbie question, but if a recipe calls for DME, can one easily sub LME?

Also, regarding the wheat malt extract, what is considered light? I browsed several online retailers, and i'm having a hard time distinguishing which wheat extracts are light or not. Is it the % of wheat vs. barley that makes that difference?

I used all LME when I've brewed this recipe... I have nothing to compare it to, but it was good both times...

Chuganator said:
I started it on Tuesday, Jan 30.
Theres a foam on the top about an inch thick but its not bubbling much.. lack of sugars im guessing.
I used a 3lb bag of Muntons Wheat. And still have another 3lb bag of Muntons Extra light. Should i boil up 8 cups or so of water and add the light or is it too late?

Its smelling really freakin nice atm hope it can be saved =/

Boil and cool, then dump it in. You'll be fine.

How do you think this would turn out with a dry yeast, say Nottinghams or Muntons Gold?

I would like to brew this tomorrow, but I think I may have missed the window on picking up some German Ale yeast and making a starter.

Wow!! 30 pages is a lot to read...

I am going to my LBS and im gonna pick up some ingredients...

I have a crazy idea, and im going to make my variation on Cheesefoods origional recipie. We'll see how it goes, if its good ill post my variation.

MriswitH said:
How do you think this would turn out with a dry yeast, say Nottinghams or Muntons Gold?

I would like to brew this tomorrow, but I think I may have missed the window on picking up some German Ale yeast and making a starter.

I am on my second batch, the first time I used a Brtish Ale Yeast cake (used for brown ale frist go round). To say the least the beer only lasted 6 days in the keg and it was gone. I loved it.

This time I have tweaked the recipe a little and fermenting as we speak using Nottinghams Dry Yeast

I will post the results when available.

Once the ol tax return comes in it will be going STRAIGHT to the ingredients for this brew :ban:

I'm thinking about trying your recipe and I'm a little confused on when to add the vanilla. Do you actually mix it in when you prime it for bottling? Or after the boil and the wort is cooled?

I didn't quite figure it out either, 30 some pages of slightly different ideas. So I added 2oz at the end of the boil, then I figure when I get ready to bottle I'll sample it and if I want more I'll toss it in.

wood173 said:
I'm thinking about trying your recipe and I'm a little confused on when to add the vanilla. Do you actually mix it in when you prime it for bottling? Or after the boil and the wort is cooled?

2 oz go in with the boil... then when you bottle add 4 oz to the priming solution...

I got a FG of 1.018 after seven days and noticed everyone else in the 1.001-1.010 range. Still not done? No activity in the carboy or the airlock.. just dont want to risk a bottle bomb.

Chuganator said:
I got a FG of 1.018 after seven days and noticed everyone else in the 1.001-1.010 range. Still not done? No activity in the carboy or the airlock.. just dont want to risk a bottle bomb.

Mine's in the clearing stages now... I got it down to 1.02 unfortunately... I'm not too worried about it...

MriswitH said:

I can only get dry east shipped to me on an army base in Germany so I'm using safale 04... we'll see how it turns out. I know nothing about yeast, but was recommended by the brew store guy.

Let ya know how it tastes when its done :)

I also brewed mine yesterday.... it is in very active fermentation, most out of all of my brews.. I already fitted it with a blow off tube, to prevent any mishaps.

I made the AG version, and tweeked the recipie a bit...

Here is what I did:

Grains:
6 lbs. American 2-row America (im new to AG)
4 lbs. Wheat Malt Belgium
1.00 lbs. Crystal 60L America

Hops:
1oz Cascade for bittering (60 minutes)
.5oz Saaz for flavor (20 minutes)
.5 oz Tettnang for aroma (end of boil)

Yeast: Wyeast 1007 German Ale

Extras:
1/2 lb. clover honey (15 minutes)
1 tsp Irish Moss (15 minutes)
4 oz. Lactose (15 minutes)
2 oz real vanilla extract (15 minutes)

Anticipated OG: 1.052 Plato: 12.91
Anticipated SRM: 9.6
Anticipated IBU: 28.9

When I put it into the secondary, Im going to make a 1 gallon test batch and Im going to add 1oz. of kona coffee beans, and 2oz. of med. toasted oak chips (for the final 7 days)

I did take a reading pre-boil... 1.052
and post boil... 1.061 but I realized I was 3 qts. shy of 5 gallons, so I topped it off with 3 qts. of sterilized water and neglected to take a final reading.

We will see how it turns out. :ban:

Just took my first taste of this. It has only been in the bottles about 1.5 weeks, and I only chilled it. So in other words its very very green. That being said, this stuff is the BOMB! Its definatley going on my to brew list right away to get more going. Cant wait to condition it a bit more, it may very well be one of the best beers I have ever had!

Well, all I can say is after brewing, give it time... We kegged this one in early december and sampled it a few weeks later. We didn't like it. We actually planned to bottle it up and give it away... But we let it sit on the gas for a month and a half. Now, it's good. We like it. We drink it daily. Yay!

I used a lot of vanilla, around 10 ounces I think. We like vanilla. But even with that much I still think it's pretty balanced, it's not terribly vanilla flavored. If you didn't know there was vanilla in it, you might not even notice. Maybe Sam's Club vanilla sucks? I dunno, but we added a lot and it's good.

debtman7 said:
Well, all I can say is after brewing, give it time... We kegged this one in early december and sampled it a few weeks later. We didn't like it. We actually planned to bottle it up and give it away... But we let it sit on the gas for a month and a half. Now, it's good. We like it. We drink it daily. Yay!

I used a lot of vanilla, around 10 ounces I think. We like vanilla. But even with that much I still think it's pretty balanced, it's not terribly vanilla flavored. If you didn't know there was vanilla in it, you might not even notice. Maybe Sam's Club vanilla sucks? I dunno, but we added a lot and it's good.

Did you by chance use Imitation Vanilla. This calls for Real Vanilla Extract 10 times more potent than imitation.

I know there's a lot of posts, but in this thread there's a discussion about why Imitation is going to ruin your brew. You can't use imitation vanilla at all.

PS - My CCA is sitting in the secondary. I don't give it much chance of being a clear brew...but boy did that hydrometer sample taste awesome. AND THAT'S BEFORE I ADD THE EXTRA VANILLA & LACTOSE... :).

Moved mine over to secondary today... filled myself a half-pint and had it for breakfast mmmmmmmmmmm mMMMMMMMMMMM. This beer is awesome Cheese, you should consider it for tournaments. This beer would sell like mad commercially.

seefresh said:
Moved mine over to secondary today... filled myself a half-pint and had it for breakfast mmmmmmmmmmm mMMMMMMMMMMM. This beer is awesome Cheese, you should consider it for tournaments. This beer would sell like mad commercially.

I've thought about it, but some people who have made it hated it.

Cheesefood said:
I've thought about it, but some people who have made it hated it.

I'm with seefresh, cheese. From what i tasted in between prime and secondary it tastes great... I would definitely try it in a competition. I'm bottling mine tomorrow.

People are asking about "imitation vanilla". I know this is a no-no. Is the stuff at Von's that says "pure vanilla extract" the real deal? I see an imitation vanilla right next to it, but this stuff says "real".

So I transfered mine to the secondary today after a very active fementation. I had no activity in the airlock, and the krousen (SP?) had fallen. I did not take an SG. Mine appeared very cloudy like a redish mud color. Is this normal? I have not brewed a wheat beer yet and this does contain wheat which I know will make it cloudy, just wondering.......

JnJ said:
So I transfered mine to the secondary today after a very active fementation. I had no activity in the airlock, and the krousen (SP?) had fallen. I did not take an SG. Mine appeared very cloudy like a redish mud color. Is this normal? I have not brewed a wheat beer yet and this does contain wheat which I know will make it cloudy, just wondering.......

Here's how mine looked:

cv.jpg

Kayos said:
People are asking about "imitation vanilla". I know this is a no-no. Is the stuff at Von's that says "pure vanilla extract" the real deal? I see an imitation vanilla right next to it, but this stuff says "real".

The real stuff costs about 5 times as much as the imitation stuff.

Back