Caramel cream ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kayos said:
$10 for 4 oz sound about right?

Yep. Taste a few drops first and see how it tastes. If it leaves a waxy taste in your mouth, be careful. If it's a clean taste they you'll be fine.

Well I added 2 ounces of imitation vanilla extract during the boil before realizing I needed the real stuff. I picked up some real vanilla extract and will add another 2 ounces when moving to secondary. Hopefully half and half will be acceptable.

Cheesefood said:
Yep. Taste a few drops first and see how it tastes. If it leaves a waxy taste in your mouth, be careful. If it's a clean taste they you'll be fine.

Cheese I commend you again on a fine beer... Tasted it today when we bottle and it's fantastic... Unfortunately I had to bottle with honey... I hope none of the honey taste stays behind because i tasted some with the priming solution i made with honey and it was... well Honey, doesn't go well with it...

Good **** cheese...

DeadYetiBrew said:
Cheese I commend you again on a fine beer... Tasted it today when we bottle and it's fantastic... Unfortunately I had to bottle with honey... I hope none of the honey taste stays behind because i tasted some with the priming solution i made with honey and it was... well Honey, doesn't go well with it...

Good **** cheese...

I think I used honey in #2 since I was short on DME. Honey might bea good idea - it'll dry it out a little.

Cheesefood said:
I think I used honey in #2 since I was short on DME. Honey might bea good idea - it'll dry it out a little.

Yeah i was thinking of adding a little more lactose or vanilla since it was going to dry it out, but i opted for seeing how it would turn out this way first...

Mine's still got another week in secondary, then it's bottling time. I am really looking forward to this brew, because I haven't heard anything but positive comments.

This shyt is just flat out GOOD! I have had 3 people try it, and 3 people ask if I can make them a batch of it, and they will pay for it. I am trying to savor this as long as I can but its fastly running the F out. Got to get another batch going tomorrow, and screw those who asked for it this one is all mine! Awesome beer Cheese! To say the least!

I just moved my batch from the secondary to a keg for cold conditioning. I'll give it a week at around 35 degrees and then either force carb and tap or bottle. If I had unlimited tap capcity...no brainer to keep in a keg. As it is, I have a huge Porter on tap #1 and I'm looking for a light ABV on tap #2. This batch does smell great and I'm anxious to see how it tastes when I add the extra vanilla and Lactose.

DeadYetiBrew said:
Did you by chance use Imitation Vanilla. This calls for Real Vanilla Extract 10 times more potent than imitation.

I don't allow imitation vanilla in my house :)

Granted I don't get premium premium extract, but the sams just of pure vanilla extract. I don't have my notes but I'm pretty sure I used at least 8 ounces total, probably around 10. Still isn't overwhelmingly vanilla flavored, and with age the vanilla tastes have mellowed even more. It has less vanilla flavor than other commercial vanilla beers I've tried.

Still good though, just took a few months. I think at first, the bourbon was too much for me, I just hate bourbon... For the first month the wife and I tried it every now and then and figured, well, maybe we'll just bottle it up and give it away... We left it alone for a few months and tried it again, and now we like. Much more mellow and drinkable.

Mine is in the secondary....

Friday ill be transferring 1 gal. of it and adding the oak chips/ kona coffee to the 1 gal. test batch. I can't wait to try either.

Bottled this brew today, I could help but sample it. It's bordering orgasmic! I'm glad I used genuine bourbon vanilla extract as well, there is a soft nose of vanilla which is gorgeous, I can't get enough of it, and I'm sure using imitation "vanilla extract" would have just made it taste synthetic and icky. Woop! :tank:

Rock on! :rockin:

Markusface said:
Bottled this brew today, I could help but sample it. It's bordering orgasmic! I'm glad I used genuine bourbon vanilla extract as well, there is a soft nose of vanilla which is gorgeous, I can't get enough of it, and I'm sure using imitation "vanilla extract" would have just made it taste synthetic and icky. Woop! :tank:

Rock on! :rockin:

Are you the first Brit to make this?

I think you may be.

I made the second version, with the reduced vanilla and lactose, because it sounded too sweet. Probably wouldn't hurt to boost it a little, but my friends certainly haven't complained at all.
I also note that I brewed it in October, then hid it until Christmas and gave it to friends along with the Chocolate Bock. It seems to be getting better each time I pop one open, even now.

man oh man, i say it again cheesefood. GENIUS!

1 week in the bottle and it's already carbed (only had one to check carb)... has a nice vanilla taste, and a caramel flavor to boot. Not overly sweet with a nice after taste of hops. Warms your stomach and wets your mouth... The honey that i used for bottling didn't dry it out one bit and i think it left a slight honey flavor too (not sure)... Beautiful head (except for it was still kind of frothy rather than heady) and head retention.

Though i noticed (probably since it's still gotta condition) you taste vanilla then like a small gap and you taste some caramel with vanilla then after that you get a nice tracer of hops... will the gap between the caramel and vanilla flavors meld into each other as it conditions???

unbelievable... amazing beer. Still extremely green, only a week in bottles... but had to try one tonight. Gonna let the rest sit for 2 weeks... might have one (or two) next weekend though:

7564-ccale.jpg

seefresh said:
unbelievable... amazing beer. Still extremely green, only a week in bottles... but had to try one tonight. Gonna let the rest sit for 2 weeks... might have one (or two) next weekend though:

7564-ccale.jpg

Looks good!

Cheese, you rock man. This is such awesome recipe. I can't wait to have kegs and nitrous plugged up to this. Gonna be at least 6 months before I get that setup though.

Well I tried Nottingham's yeast for the second run with this beer and have now convinced myself it really matters what type of yeast with a complex beer as this one.

The first time I used a brtish ale yeast cake (White Labs) and it was great, this time it seems very bland and thin without all the layers as before.

*Just putting this out because it was discussed a few pages back.

Once again, this is a great beer

TUCK said:
Well I tried Nottingham's yeast for the second run with this beer and have now convinced myself it really matters what type of yeast with a complex beer as this one.

The first time I used a brtish ale yeast cake (White Labs) and it was great, this time it seems very bland and thin without all the layers as before.

*Just putting this out because it was discussed a few pages back.

Once again, this is a great beer

It's funny you say that. I used Wyeast's California Lager, the guy at my LHBS said that it was exchangable with what Cheese recommended.

I will be trying it with the safale 56 either tonight or tomorrow. wll post my camparisons when it is drinkable.

Ok, so I forced carbed it and am drinking a glass now. It is good, like no beer I have ever tasted. I imagine it will get better with age.

Kayos said:
Debtman

Did you do the bam-bam recipe or the caramel cream?

I did kind of a bastardization of the two...

Oddly enough, what's really tasty is mixing it black and tan style with the vanilla imperial porter I brewed at the same time... That one I just put in secondary with two split vanilla beans, and it has almost no vanilla flavor, but it's a great porter and tasted great with the CCA.

You can put me on the list of people having done this brew. I tried an AG recipe (very similar to one suggested as an AG somewhere in this thread) which i'll post if anyones interested with safale 04. Haven't tried it yet i want to wait until im priming it and adding the lactose/vanilla extract to get the full flavour benefits :ban: .

I am bottling mine today, about two weeks later than I had planned. Took a gravity reading just to see where it's at, then tasted the sample.

This beer is going to be awesome. That's all I can say. It's great when you can take a sip of flat, uncarbonated beer and know that it will be worth the effort you put into it.

Cheese, if you're still out there, thanks for this recipe and all of the work you put into perfecting it for the rest of us.

McKBrew said:
I am bottling mine today, about two weeks later than I had planned. Took a gravity reading just to see where it's at, then tasted the sample.

This beer is going to be awesome. That's all I can say. It's great when you can take a sip of flat, uncarbonated beer and know that it will be worth the effort you put into it.

Cheese, if you're still out there, thanks for this recipe and all of the work you put into perfecting it for the rest of us.
I wasn't impressed with this recipe... (subliminal prod at cheese). It was too sweet at the first and left a bitter aftertaste...(subliminal prod at cheese).

I don't know who (cheese) came up with this recipe but I think they (cheese) should step forward and do some splaining.... :D

Cheese?

Cheese?

Bueller?

Bueller?

BierMuncher said:
I wasn't impressed with this recipe... (subliminal prod at cheese). It was too sweet at the first and left a bitter aftertaste...(subliminal prod at cheese).

I don't know who (cheese) came up with this recipe but I think they (cheese) should step forward and do some splaining.... :D

Cheese?

Cheese?

Bueller?

Bueller?

lol... that's actually exactly what i liked about it...

Took some to a "Fondue Date Night" last night. ... my wife and I were the only people under 30 (23 and 22). Anyway, the beer was a hit. One lady liked my barley wine more (it was dry-hopped, so tasted a bit like an IPA). Other than that, the CCA was truly impressive.

This is my next brew.....with all the talk and batches made, has anyone hit on any significant changes that have made a huge difference? The vanilla and the lactose amounts are all best right from the original recipe? It seems like I remember reading the vanilla not adding any flavor when added to the boil, correct? I think I will just add it before bottling.

I followed the original recipe almost exactly. I used Safale 04 yeast though.. I think, might have been Safale 56 though. Pretty sure it was 04. Anyway, the vanilla and lactose amounts were perfect!

After more aging, we had some yesterday. The tastes mellowed together perfectly, you get a definate caramel and vanilla taste... However, it's not a beer you want to drink more than 1 or 2 of. Goes good with desserts too...

Back