Some malty ale recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali01

Reaction score
Lagers are always my first choice of drinking for their clean flavor which allows a malty-hoppy flavor
I don't like the fruity taste of most ales
But I cant find a lager yeast right now, the only yeast I have is s04
Is there any recipe to a malty beer? One that tastes very close to a malty lager?
I can buy caramel-crystal malt, Vienna malt, pilsner malt, biscuit malt and amber malt

I'd try using that 04 yeast on one your lager recipes and I'm sure you'd have good results. The temp range is 59-68 F.

I brew mostly ales and even a few lagers using ale yeast with good results. My yeast of choice is SafAle-05 as it ferments clean to let the malt flavors come through.

Forget the crystal and all that. Use 50/50 Pilsner/Vienna, or 100% Vienna, and some noble hops. Can’t go wrong.
How about some amber malt? The problem is that the commercial beers I'm used to are somewhat sweet
But I haven't made a sweet beer yet
It's always so dry
Tastes like a hop tea

I've just kegged this one, and it's fantastic:

OG 10.54
FG 1.013

85% Extra Pale Maris Otter
5% Crystal T50
5% Crystal DRC
5% Crisp Wheat

30 IBU of UK Challenger at 30 minutes
10 IBU of First Gold at 10 minutes
75g First Gold in the whirlpool (75°C for 20 minutes)

Lallemand Windsor, fermented at 20°C for a week.
Lovely balance of malt, a hint of nuttiness, and some earthy marmalade hops.

If you want a malty lager-esque beer, how about trying a pseudo-Bock?

OG 1.070
FG 1.016

70% Premium Pilsner
20% Munich
7.5% Melanoidin Malt
2.5% CaraMunich II

25 IBU of Hallertau Mittelfrueh

Ferment on the cooler side with Kolsch or Alt yeast.

I've just kegged this one, and it's fantastic:

OG 10.54
FG 1.013

85% Extra Pale Maris Otter
5% Crystal T50
5% Crystal DRC
5% Crisp Wheat

30 IBU of UK Challenger at 30 minutes
10 IBU of First Gold at 10 minutes
75g First Gold in the whirlpool (75°C for 20 minutes)

Lallemand Windsor, fermented at 20°C for a week.
Lovely balance of malt, a hint of nuttiness, and some earthy marmalade hops.

If you want a malty lager-esque beer, how about trying a pseudo-Bock?

OG 1.070
FG 1.016

70% Premium Pilsner
20% Munich
7.5% Melanoidin Malt
2.5% CaraMunich II

25 IBU of Hallertau Mittelfrueh

Ferment on the cooler side with Kolsch or Alt yeast.
The problem is I can't find any of those malts in my country
There's just pilsner,amber, biscuit, caramel crystal 60l and 120l, black patent and roasted barley, pale chocolate malt

How about some amber malt? The problem is that the commercial beers I'm used to are somewhat sweet
But I haven't made a sweet beer yet
It's always so dry
Tastes like a hop tea
To me, “malty lager” and “sweet beer” are very, very different goals. But I’m still going to push the 100% Vienna idea. Target a high (1.070-1.080) OG; that will get you some sweetness just from the unfermentables, as well as from the ethanol. And the malt intensity will be great.

Lagers are always my first choice of drinking for their clean flavor which allows a malty-hoppy flavor
I don't like the fruity taste of most ales
But I cant find a lager yeast right now, the only yeast I have is s04
Is there any recipe to a malty beer? One that tastes very close to a malty lager?
I can buy caramel-crystal malt, Vienna malt, pilsner malt, biscuit malt and amber malt

I'm a lager fan myself, but tend to brew ales in summer when my cellar temp is higher so I don't have to use as much refrigeration during ferment.

I just tapped a keg of one I brewed a month ago using S-04 that is nice and malty w some of the lager eforvesence. A very tasty brew if I do say so....

Nominal 10 gallon batch

15# pale malt, but a pils would be fine here too, but I had some pale two row to use up, more often I use pils.
5# Vienna

150F mash for 60 min, 10 min vorlauf, sparge, 60-70 min boil. Cool to 160, whirlpool, hop step, cool, pitch yeast, etc...

Hop to choice, but if you don't want fruit, lean toward nobel hops, stay away form fruity ones.

I used

1.2 N brewer first wort
1.2 Styrian goldings 30 min boil
.3 home grown leaf cascade at 160F hop step You should not use cascade if you don't want fruit flavor, maybe saaz, tettenger or willamente would be a better choice.

S-04 fermeted at 66F

Important last step for lagerish brew, cold crash for at least two weeks after fermentation completely finished.

Last edited:
I just kegged up my dark house beer. I use a schwarzbier recipe, but since I don't have a way to ferment cold and lager, i use Kolsch yeast.
Pilsner, Munich and midnight wheat malts, magnun for bittering and Hallertau Mittelfrue for flavor and aroma.
1.052 SG / 1.012 FG.
real happy with the sample as I was kegging, we'll see how it is in another week or 2.

Back