Bitter taste after carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bk2X

Reaction score
Hey guys I need some input,

I brewed up a brewer's best kit imperial blonde. The brewing process went perfect according to the instructions and let it ferment in a conicle til it reached the final gravity. FG took 10 days and we immediately moved to keg. (later read that I should probably leave for a few more days or even a week or two to let everything completely settle) Filled up keg, put on co2 at 12 psi then purged and pressured back up. 9 days it has been in the kegerator carbing up and we decided to do a taste last night. The taste was almost like I just bit a lemon peel. What might contribute to this flavor? At this point, I feel like we have rushed the process a bit, but am hoping its not a tainted beer.

Being that it is probably young, do I just pull it out of kegerator and sit in closet for a while or is it ok to leave chilled and leave it be?

I don't think it is carb bite because when we took FG reading from a cylinder, I tasted the beer and it had a similar bite.

If it were my keg, I'd take it out of the fridge, let it sit at room temp for a couple weeks and try it again. I've had to do that before with my green beers.

Ok so few weeks have passed after letting sit at room temp and the flavor is still bitter, but not as cloudy. I took some in a bottle to the local home brew shop and they think it might be because the kit didnt have enough yeast which caused them to work too hard. Does this sound correct?

Ok so few weeks have passed after letting sit at room temp and the flavor is still bitter, but not as cloudy. I took some in a bottle to the local home brew shop and they think it might be because the kit didnt have enough yeast which caused them to work too hard. Does this sound correct?

that's plausible, there are many things that could have contributed some off flavors but without having been there watching you brew it's hard to tell. we all have a bad batch every now and then.

that's plausible, there are many things that could have contributed some off flavors but without having been there watching you brew it's hard to tell. we all have a bad batch every now and then.

So should I pitch it or just leave it in closet again for like a month?

If the yeast was working too hard, then would it even hit the FG? My OG and FG were spot on.

If the yeast was working too hard, then would it even hit the FG? My OG and FG were spot on.

It's definitely possible. My first batch of APA fermented down to 1.012, but there's tons of esters in it and tastes nothing like I had hoped. Airlock activity was pretty much anemic during the first few days, compared to the IPA I racked onto that batch's yeast cake. Also, the IPA didn't have any ester flavors in it, so I'm assuming the APA didn't turn out well because I didn't pitch enough viable yeast.

Yeah my airlock didn't show activity at all during first few days also. On my next batch, would it be wise just to double the yeast instead of one packet do two?

Yeah my airlock didn't show activity at all during first few days also. On my next batch, would it be wise just to double the yeast instead of one packet do two?

What yeast did you use? Did you rehydrate it?

Back