Base Malt in NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alooper86

Reaction score
I recently brewed a NEIPA that turned out very good. I used a vast amount of oats and 2 row malt but was wondering if using 6 row instead would be a better option since that style of malt is more appropriate for higher adjunct brewing. I have looked at many different NEIPA recipes and no one is using 6 row. I am not sure if I am overthinking this choice and if switching from 2 row to 6 row will make that much difference. Any thoughts on this?

Best malt is something like Maris Otter or Golden Promise, in my opinion.

6 row really isn't needed unless you're talking about a grain bill with 50% flaked oats. Even then it isn't really necessary.

You really want the flavor from Maris or Golden Promise though.

I've used Pilsner, 2-Row, GP and Pale Ale, all with good results. Never tried 6-Row. I need to try MO sometime. I think the best malt flavor I've had was a combination of Pilsner and Pale Ale.

Contrarian here! I like the protein taste of 6-row, it complements a NE IPA really well, particularly with some flaked oats added for the silky texture.!

I have had a lot of success with 2-row, wheat, and some flaked oats. I know that probably isn't "to style," but I don't care. It's hazy, hoppy, and delicious.

I recently brewed a NEIPA that turned out very good. I used a vast amount of oats and 2 row malt but was wondering if using 6 row instead would be a better option since that style of malt is more appropriate for higher adjunct brewing. I have looked at many different NEIPA recipes and no one is using 6 row. I am not sure if I am overthinking this choice and if switching from 2 row to 6 row will make that much difference. Any thoughts on this?

what is a "vast amount of oats"? 20%? 40%?

Just kegged mine. Yeast was Burlington, whirlifloc tablets, but no cold crash and no gelatin finings.

Settling out nearly crystal clear as I rack. What did I do wrong?

"Juicy Fruit IPA"
4lbs 6-row
4lbs MO
2lbs Golden Promise
1lb Crystal 60
1lb Flaked Oats
122/150 stepped mash

0.7 oz Nugget @60min boil
1.5 oz Mosaic @15min boil
1 oz Galaxy @ whirlpool
.5 Mosaic/.5 Centennial dry hop 5 days (started during active krausen)
1 pkg WL095 in a four day starter
fermented at about 70 degrees F
OG 1.051 FG 1.016! :mad:

2 oz Mosaic cones dry hop in keg

First try London III yeast. Bump up the adjunct to around 20%. Lastly increase your whirlpool and dry hop addition particularly dry hopping during active fermentation. Hope this helps

Just kegged mine. Yeast was Burlington, whirlifloc tablets, but no cold crash and no gelatin finings.

"Juicy Fruit IPA"
4lbs 6-row
4lbs MO
2lbs Golden Promise
1lb Crystal 60
1lb Flaked Oats
122/150 stepped mash

1 oz Galaxy @ whirlpool

I'm not sure about that yeast, but I've had great luck with 1318. Also, for a 5 gallon batch, you're going to want at an absolute bare minimum, 5 oz of hops. I usually run about 8-10 oz total. Here's a typical hop schedule for me:

.5 oz FWH
2 oz at 10 mins left in boil
2-4 oz whirlpool at 175 degrees for 20 mins
3 oz dry hop at day 2 or so (during active ferm)
2 oz dry hop at day 6 for 3 days

The whirlpool hops are critical for flavor and also a fair amount of that addition ends up in the ferm fur the full duration of the fermentation.

I've seen people adding 20, 30 even 40 oz of hops. It may work, but it's not necessary IMO. I think most of those are wasted. I've gotten excellent hop character from mine and scored a 40 on my last batch at a local competition.

The only hop addition I'd consider from what I'm doing is a couple oz in the keg, but I'll probably never do it because the beer is so good where it is.

London III is great to use. I am currently experimenting with a blend of dry yeast. Supposedly this is what TreeHouse uses.
S-04: 90%
WB-06: 7%
T-58: 3%
@66f

As far as grain bill I am using the following on my next batch brewing tomorrow;
85% Briess Brewers
5% carapils
5% C-20
5% victory

And 1/2oz of chinook for bittering, no other boil hops, whirl pooling at 170f for 20minutes, adding first dry hop between 2nd and third day, second dry hop with 3 days remaining, cold crash last day, and transfer. Carb at 2.6. 5 days usually fermentor to glass (although a little more aging benefits). I usually can't wait.

"Juicy Fruit IPA"
4lbs 6-row
4lbs MO
2lbs Golden Promise
1lb Crystal 60
1lb Flaked Oats
122/150 stepped mash

1 oz Galaxy @ whirlpool

I'd definitely skip whirlfloc tablets if you want hazy.

1oz of hops during active fermentation is also probably not enough.

London III is great to use. I am currently experimenting with a blend of dry yeast. Supposedly this is what TreeHouse uses.
S-04: 90%
WB-06: 7%
T-58: 3%
@66f

As far as grain bill I am using the following on my next batch brewing tomorrow;
85% Briess Brewers
5% carapils
5% C-20
5% victory

And 1/2oz of chinook for bittering, no other boil hops, whirl pooling at 170f for 20minutes, adding first dry hop between 2nd and third day, second dry hop with 3 days remaining, cold crash last day, and transfer. Carb at 2.6. 5 days usually fermentor to glass (although a little more aging benefits). I usually can't wait.

any word on the yeast mixture? Munson quality TH had a soft bubblegum, melon, cotton candy (almost) taste to me in many of their beers. hit it very close to the mark on taste with a kitchen sink batch last fall, but of course didn't keep notes on anything other than the type of hops and the yeast (which with this yeast i have not had the same success again).

Has anyone ever verified that breweries are using flaked oats in their NEIPA's?

I mean some specifically say stuff like "an irresponsible amount of oat and hops."
other half advertises an "oat cream" IPA

that said i've read a lot of conflicting things - wish i kept track of them. some stating oats are pointless for haze and mouth feel and others agreeing that they're necessary.

i don't have the resources to do my own experiments due to time and lack of small fermenters.

any word on the yeast mixture? Munson quality TH had a soft bubblegum, melon, cotton candy (almost) taste to me in many of their beers. hit it very close to the mark on taste with a kitchen sink batch last fall, but of course didn't keep notes on anything other than the type of hops and the yeast (which with this yeast i have not had the same success again).[/QU

I thought it was too much like a West coast ipa. Not bad just not a NEIPA style.

I thought it was too much like a West coast ipa. Not bad just not a NEIPA style.

I've never done boil hops in my NEIPA, only whirlpool and dry hop. you can definitely score perceived bitterness through the whirlpool which depending on your amounts can be all that is necessary and help avoid that WCIPA feel.

Has anyone ever verified that breweries are using flaked oats in their NEIPA's?

They're certainly not necessary. I brewed a NEIPA last summer that had zero flaked wheat, zero flaked oats. It wasn't the orange juice murky sludge NEIPA, but it was plenty hazy, stayed that way (not that I cared as haze isn't the goal for me, it's a side effect), and it tasted great. It was based on a trillium fort point recipe I found here.

I just made one, 2 row base, flaked oats, little crystal, Acidulated, wheat, little Munich. .5 oz fwh .5 at 10 minutes about 4.0 oz at whirlpool and some additional at high fermentation. It smells wonderful now. Can give specifics if anyone is interested.

Back