2-row vs Pilsen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YeastFeast

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Any big difference (when making a Hazy IPA, or other style I suppose) in using Pilsen vs 2-row base malt?
I always use 2-row…just curious if anyone has an opinion.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Any big difference (when making a Hazy IPA, or other style I suppose) in using Pilsen & 2-row base malt?
I always use 2-row…just curious if anyone has an opinion.
Cheers.

IMO Pils malt is more flavorful than your standard 2-Row. You will probably not taste a huge difference in a Hazy but with something like a German Pils/Helles you would (IMO).

::mug::

Often, the main difference is that a 2-row or Pale malt is kilned just slightly darker than a Pils malt. Pils malt is typically the palest of malts and has a color under 3L.

A benefit of that slightly darker kilning is a reduction in SMS which is the precursor to DMS production. If you don't require a very pale beer color, then using the slightly darker pale malt should reduce your beer's DMS potential.

Pilsner is marginally paler and slightly more flavourful, generally speaking. But for anything other than pale lagers they're basically interchangable.

Also, the more flavorful pils malt might not be flavorful in a way you want (it's a reason I tend to not like light lagers, but of course others do). Brew a SMaSH beer with both malts, not too heavy on the hops, and taste the difference for yourself.

I'm surprised the Brulosophy comparison didn't pick it up. I truly feel like I do.

I get it, but I still find it a useful site. If they're at a festival full of people that know nothing, or are already drunk, I'd tend to disregard the results. Sometimes they are at club events, where I give it a little more weight. I also like their opinions paragraph, their testing, I do think they are experienced brewers and when they can't choose the oddball beer then I am definitely paying attention.

Also, the more flavorful pils malt might not be flavorful in a way you want (it's a reason I tend to not like light lagers, but of course others do). Brew a SMaSH beer with both malts, not too heavy on the hops, and taste the difference for yourself.

I'm surprised the Brulosophy comparison didn't pick it up. I truly feel like I do.
My general thoughts are that flavor of Pils and 2-Row can vary quite a bit from maltster to maltster.

Some Pils has a lot of flavor. Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian is one that really stood out to me. Avangard German Pils is very neutral, but it might have a bit more of a "white bread" character than a typical 2-Row. I currently have a sack of Sedako Bohemian Pils that I feel is between the two in flavors.

Back when I did a few 1 gallon single malt beer, I recall Briess 2-Row having more of a straw character, where Rahr 2-Row had a bit more of a grainy/whole wheat bread character. I liked the Rahr version better, but some people at my homebrew club liked the Briess better.

My general thoughts are that flavor of Pils and 2-Row can vary quite a bit from maltster to maltster.

Some Pils has a lot of flavor. Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian is one that really stood out to me. Avangard German Pils is very neutral, but it might have a bit more of a "white bread" character than a typical 2-Row. I currently have a sack of Sedako Bohemian Pils that I feel is between the two in flavors.

Back when I did a few 1 gallon single malt beer, I recall Briess 2-Row having more of a straw character, where Rahr 2-Row had a bit more of a grainy/whole wheat bread character. I liked the Rahr version better, but some people at my homebrew club liked the Briess better.

That's a great point, and probably a lot of it. It's not enough to say Pilsner vs. 2-Row, better would be to say Pilsner from Maltster A vs. 2-Row from Maltster B.

I wholeheartedly agree with the note on malt origin. I notice more drastic differences between the same malt type from various origins than between types from the same origin.

I did a base malt comparison once and have since learned I don't care for Fawcett and Dingemans MO, but I do like Muntons and Paul's MO. Crisp was decent albeit bland. We don't get 'pale malt' like in the US, but when I compared Lager Malt (next best thing) to pilsner malt I found the former rather boring. It works when malt does not take the center stage, but yeast or hops do. Even then I do prefer some extra malt character and I would choose pale ale or darker malts anytime, but that's a personal preference based on flavour, availability and to a lesser degree price. For very pale lagers I'd still pick pilsner myself.

I wholeheartedly agree with the note on malt origin. I notice more drastic differences between the same malt type from various origins than between types from the same origin.
There is a really good multi-part Master Brewers Podcast titled "The Six-rowification of North American Two-row" with Joe Hertrich. It talks about the breeding programs funded by the large American breweries with the goal of brewing 2-row barley with the diastatic power of 6-row. So much of the mainstream North American barley was bred with a goal of being hot enough to convert mashes with up to 50% adjuncts.

I am now curious about what barley variety I have been using lately. I went through a sack or two of Montana Craft 2-Row, and I am currently brewing with a sack of Murphy & Rude (from Virginia) 2-Row. Both of their websites have generic terms like "specialty craft malts" and "locally sourced ingredients" but not much detail.

This is the opposite of my own experience. I've blind-tasted (chewed on malt) Pilsner malt from ~20 different maltsters, and couldn't show a statistical preference. I've made ~10 lightly-hopped SMaSHes with Pilsner malt and tasted them side-by-side, blind. Briess to Weyermann Barke to Crisp Hana: I could not discern a difference.

I'll be the first to admit I don't have the most sensitive palate, but I don't have the least sensitive one, either. My suggested conclusion: if you change maltsters for your Pilsner malt, there are at least some people (including some serious beer drinkers) who will not be able to tell the difference.

Maltster-to-maltster differences between more highly kilned malts -- Munich or English pale -- can be extreme. But Pilsner...

I did a base malt comparison once and have since learned I don't care for Fawcett and Dingemans MO, but I do like Muntons and Paul's MO. Crisp was decent albeit bland.
Except Otter is a bit of a funny one because of the way it is controlled centrally by Robin Appel. FWIW the Fawcett Otter is one of my favourites - in general the East Anglian ones are less interesting than others; the gold standard has to be Warminster partly because of the floor-malting thing but also for Otter in particular because they're part of the Robin Appel empire.

Going back to the OP who was asking about malts for hazies in particular - one thing to pay attention to is protein/nitrogen content, British malts tend to have less than others.

I've come to the conclusion that for British-style hazies (ie session strength, served on cask) I don't particularly care for 100% pilsner/extra pale grists, but my ideal is somewhere around 20-30% UK extra pale/pilsner and the rest regular UK pale.

Back