Any brew-software for Android?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rather than supporting the file format of a particular application, I'd go with BeerXML instead. Beersmith will read and write it I believe and there is a converter for promash files. Not sure about the other packages.

I haven't checked out QBrew before. If its available on Linux, or if I can install it via Wine, I'll give it a look.
Rather than creating an import for just 1 file, such as a BeerSmith app, an XML or even just showing the HTML or Text file would be easier and it would work for more than just one program.

I haven't checked out QBrew before. If its available on Linux, or if I can install it via Wine, I'll give it a look.
Rather than creating an import for just 1 file, such as a BeerSmith app, an XML or even just showing the HTML or Text file would be easier and it would work for more than just one program.

Rather than supporting the file format of a particular application, I'd go with BeerXML instead. Beersmith will read and write it I believe and there is a converter for promash files. Not sure about the other packages.
I was in the process of typing it out. :) Great minds think alike.

I've played with the android sdk and was able to get a working program running on my G1, but I don't really know java. I should work on learning it.

I have been using an app called OIcountdown to alert me when my mash is done, and when to add hops, etc.. It's good because it supports multiple timers simultaneously, and still runs with the screen off. If I was going to write a brew related app, it would be something along those lines i think.

Oh, and I usually work up all of my recipes using qBrew on Linux. I haven't gotten around to installing brewtarget yet.

I used BrewMath for the iPhone before. I'm wanting to model it sort of like that(I'll post screen shots later), as well as add on to it with more features, such as the recipe database idea, and the ability to add a photo to the recipe.
Sorry for flooding the thread with my ramblings. :p

A timer also sounds like a good idea. Perhaps multiple timers that will run in the background(I'm not too sure about Android. I think it will do background apps.)

I've done a few programs with Java, some more complex than others. I'll have to fish my books from school out.

Check out StrangeBrew. It's written in Java and I believe the source code is available. If you could adapt that for the Android some of your work may be done for you already.

Interfacing with a beer XML shouldn't actually be that much of a long shot and would be a goal of any brewing software I would put out. Then it just comes down to how lazy I am...

Yes, QBrew works in Linux. I don't use windblows either. I think I originally found it in Synaptic.

Beer XML... yes.

Arg I have totally been slacking on my Android brew app. Some real world business opportunities have been taking all of my time. Sorry for teasing earlier. The guy from brewtarget did say I could use his data in the app, I'm sure he would let another open source app do the same. Good luck and maybe I'll be back soon to help.

This is a preview of the android beermapping app.

I hope Johnathan gets around to finishing it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, just got my droid yesterday (typing this on it!), so I'm looking forward to further developments on this. Man, I wish I could program!

I like it olllllo, keep it up! I, unfortunately, did not get to start work on mine this weekend as I had hope as I came down with the flu and couldn't even bare to look at or think about either my phone or my computer(s). Hoping to get started this week now.

I've been brushing up on my java and taking a look at the android sdk. I should have more time later this week so I should be getting something down.

Just a little bump, hoping that there might be progress on this by the time I'm brewing again (after xmas, hopefully)

I hear there's some nice stuff here:

http://www.apple.com

Not to be a dink in kind, but some of us have our reasons for not using their $hit. We're not morons.

You may not have been able to tell in the discussion, but this thread was for people who wanted to be helpful. I've yet to go into all of the apple app threads and say "Hey, have you considered making this for another platform? Others exist you know!"

Can anyone tease us with the prospect of their app being ready soon? I should have my Droid today. I would be stoked to get something good working on it.

It seems like the motorola droid will be bringing tons of people to android. It seems worth developing apps for. I would pay for a good app for this phone. I have been playing with my co-workers droids and they are the first true iphone killers. I have had multiple friends with iphones ask if they should ditch it for a droid. They are not happy with apple. (well and ATT coverage in the mountains suck.)

I got very delayed on getting started mine, I had the flu and still haven't gotten caught up on all my projects :(

Not to be a dink in kind, but some of us have our reasons for not using their $hit. We're not morons.

You may not have been able to tell in the discussion, but this thread was for people who wanted to be helpful. I've yet to go into all of the apple app threads and say "Hey, have you considered making this for another platform? Others exist you know!"

I hear porting from iPhone to Android is actually quite easy based on the way the languages work (unsure, not a coder). There's a nice piece of iPhone software called BrewPal. If I were an Android guy, I'd shoot him an email and see if he's working on anything.

The Brewing Calculator seems to work great. It is very simple.

I just purchased it about ten seconds after my phone got here. Hit settings button on phone and change units to "US". At first I did not think you could change the units. I think I read somewhere it didn't. Maybe that feature is new

Here is the link again

Brewing Calculator

I'd definitely pay a modest sum for one. Just got a Cliq and I'm loving it, once I turned off all the blur stuff. That'll kill a battery in 5 hours.

OK, I'm about to start developing one in earnest unless someone is already pretty far along.

I have another non-brew app that I would like to develope for the Android, but this project should get me familiar with the environment.

Anyone making some progress on an app?

I was thinking about something very simple:
A)Brewing/conversion calculators
B)A start/stop timer with mash times/boil time additions

If I get that working, I might tackle import/export via BeerXML files through Gmail.

bump. . .just got my droid a week ago and realized with a brewday coming up I could really use an app. Came across this thread and was wondering if there has been any progress made here. . .if not I may just look into the brewing calculator that is already out there for now.

anyone used Home Brew Calculators? I wish I would have noticed it was there yesterday before my brew session I would have bought it

Ok i just found this thread. I have had my android for a few months and was wondering if anyone had tried the one brewing calculator that is in the market. I have nothing to add to the discussion just adding my reply so i can find this thread just in case someone comes up with a good app.

SD

anyone used Home Brew Calculators? I wish I would have noticed it was there yesterday before my brew session I would have bought it

I have just purchased this app. After browsing through the options I think this is going to be a great app. I also have the Brewing calculator app. I think between the two I have everything I could want.

Here is a link to the Home Brew Calculators app

http://ghostchilisoftware.blogspot.com/

Hi! I'm the developer for Brewzor Brewing Calculator for Android. Brewzor is a free alternative to fee-based brewing calculators in the Android Market. It tries to focus on calculations you use regularly during a brew session.

Current calculators include:

Refractometer Correction - finds the OG of a finished beer, etc.
Strike Temperature - gives the volume and temperature
Boil Off - finds the start or end volume
Gravity Correction - didn't hit gravity after your mash? this tells you how much DME or water to add to fix it
Mash Infusion - how much water you need to add to raise the mash temperature
Decoction Volume - volume of mash needed to raise the mash temperature
Batch Sparge - mash out and sparge volumes needed for equal runoff batch sparge
Carbonation - PSI/kPa for kegging, LME/DME/corn sugar for bottle priming
Kettle Volume - find the volume of your kettle by measuring wort height
Alcohol / Attenuation - ABV%, ABW%, AA, RA
Unit Converters (Pressure, Volume, Gravity, Weight / Mass, Length)

It is also easy to switch between US / Metric units, or use any combination of both at the same time. Both portrait and landscape mode are supported which is nice for those of us with keyboards. All screen resolutions are also supported.

Just search for Brewzor in the Market or visit our website at http://brewzor.com for more information, screenshots, comprehensive user guide, funny market comments and more. The application is in active development and we love to incorporate user feature requests to help make the program more usable for everyone.

Brew more beer more often!

Hi! I'm the developer for Brewzor Brewing Calculator for Android. Brewzor is a free alternative to fee-based brewing calculators in the Android Market. It tries to focus on calculations you use regularly during a brew session.

Current calculators include:

Refractometer Correction - finds the OG of a finished beer, etc.
Strike Temperature - gives the volume and temperature
Boil Off - finds the start or end volume
Gravity Correction - didn't hit gravity after your mash? this tells you how much DME or water to add to fix it
Mash Infusion - how much water you need to add to raise the mash temperature
Decoction Volume - volume of mash needed to raise the mash temperature
Batch Sparge - mash out and sparge volumes needed for equal runoff batch sparge
Carbonation - PSI/kPa for kegging, LME/DME/corn sugar for bottle priming
Kettle Volume - find the volume of your kettle by measuring wort height
Alcohol / Attenuation - ABV%, ABW%, AA, RA
Unit Converters (Pressure, Volume, Gravity, Weight / Mass, Length)

It is also easy to switch between US / Metric units, or use any combination of both at the same time. Both portrait and landscape mode are supported which is nice for those of us with keyboards. All screen resolutions are also supported.

Just search for Brewzor in the Market or visit our website at http://brewzor.com for more information, screenshots, comprehensive user guide, funny market comments and more. The application is in active development and we love to incorporate user feature requests to help make the program more usable for everyone.

Brew more beer more often!

This is awesome! Great start on this app. Something I think would be neat would be an SRM calculator, and maybe integrate the Hydrometer correction with the Alcohol/Attenuation calculator, so you could do your corrections more on the fly. Once again, thanks for this handy tool!

This is awesome! Great start on this app. Something I think would be neat would be an SRM calculator, and maybe integrate the Hydrometer correction with the Alcohol/Attenuation calculator, so you could do your corrections more on the fly. Once again, thanks for this handy tool!

I also like the brewzor app, very useful tool. But I also use the homebrew calculator app, specifically for it's SRM calculator, bitterness calculator and boil timer.

Just got my Android phone today (Samsung Moment via Sprint), and I went straight for the Brewzor. Thanks for your hard work! Looks very useful.

I love my Droid and I wish it had some cooler brewing apps. Brewzor is pretty cool but I would like to see a yeast pitch calculator like Jamil 's. Plus recipe creation similiar to brewpal functionality would rock. If anyone developers that I'd pay for it...

Have you seen the one named "Brewer"? Looks simple and easy to use. Also looks like there are a lot of home brewing calculator apps out there now.

That one looks ok, too. It's only $2, which isn't unreasonable, I just don't see too much discerning it from a free app like Brewzor. I'd really like a mobile beersmith, honestly. It'd be cool to have something that I can use at homebrew meetings to explain recipes and stuff, but I can always just do what I've been doing.....dump a beersmith recipe onto xml and upload it to my website and view on the phone via web.

I have been able to usde tasty brew.com to formulate recipes on my phone. Great when I am at work and want to stop by the lhbs on the way home. Unfortunately it won't save the formula, but it is helpful.

Back