another apfelweiss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myty1705

Reaction score
Well delved into the first try at this stuff. I WAS going to use Ed Worts recipe....but.......I went with this instead

I created 2 batches both the exact same ingredients other than the juice. 1 gallon apple juice in one batch, 1 gallon apple cider in the other batch.

1 gallon apple ......
1/2 lb dark brown sugar
1 can apple juice concentrate
1/4 tsp peptic enzyme
1/2 pouch nottingham yeast

O.G. of both batches at 1.10 matched exactly the same.....I though odd, but hey.

It is a little bigger than what I anticipated....but I forgot about the EXTRA sugar in the concentrate, I was just trying for more flavor. Oh well, if it works out and become drinkable here are the names.....please comment on name or even suggest different names

Forearm Shivver Cider
Beer Goggle Cider :drunk:

One more thing, can some one help me on what I can expect for the final alcohol content. 1.1 O.G. being held at 68 degrees.

I have used a similar recipe, but with less brown sugar and added honey. It will likely turn out great, BUT will take some aging. So just be aware of that. I believe mine have all been real drinkable at 8mos, but really good at around 12mos.

I have heard honey makes astringent cider like a mead, which needs about a year to become drinkable. Does the brown sugar do the same?

I plan on bottling after 8 weeks, and then aging as necessary till greatness is achieved.........or untill I can't take it anymore and don't worry about it:rockin:

I have never done it with only the brown sugar. I can tell you that I put together a straight cider together in October and it's ready. On the other hand you are going to have a strong cider and mine will be about 5-6%. So there will be quite a bit of aging required to make something as high of an ABV as yours drinkable.

Back