Announcing the third (or is it the fourth?) annual Masstoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is anyone from Conn. coming? I hope so, so I can hit them the effin throat with a rake for living in such a suckbag state. I really cant put into words how much i hate this state. HOW LONG DO YOU NEED TO EFFIN WORK ON 95 for!?!?! Jesus Christ!! I have to travel through Conn. to get to my inlaws and it never fails.... Welcome to Conn.!!! Now wait in effin stopped dead traffic for three hours cause we're working on 95!!! Well over an hour so far to go about half a mile.

Seriously... Can we just effin nuke this state and give to to Rhodey to take over and run???

At least the Connecticutians who live east of Hartford are Red Sox fans. It ain't much but it's somethin'

I will ask you to refrain from doing any throat raking that day. I doubt that I'd organize a raffle to raise money for your defense fund. I'd feel bad seeing you do the perp walk on Channel 4 but I would get over it pretty quick. Especially when I produce a fake document showing that you sold me the rights to your Pat's season tickets. WTH, you can't use 'em in Cedar Junction.

PTN

We are planning on attending but need to know when we should show up... And it looks like the main foods are covered so we'll probably bring an appetizer and/or dessert... You can never have too many of either!! :) We look forward to seeing you all Saturday!

Paul - you are welcome to borrow our 10x20 awning... you'll need some way to secure it to the ground. call BigJohn and ask him today if you want.... HE'S not working...

Sorry folks, been out of town for that last few days. I guess I missed out on a lot of the shenanigans here.

Paul, Brian has my awning at his house.

Brian, I just drove through CT, both on my way out, and on my way back, and I went through without even slowing down. Of course, I don't take 95 but rather 84. It may be longer distance, but the time I save more than makes up for it.

We are planning on attending but need to know when we should show up... And it looks like the main foods are covered so we'll probably bring an appetizer and/or dessert... You can never have too many of either!! :) We look forward to seeing you all Saturday!

Anytime in the afternoon. If you are planning on brewing with us (and you should be) closer to 1 will give you plenty of time to be sure your brew is finished while it's still light out.

'm planning on a bonfire when the sun heads down but finishing up a brew in the dark after you've had a few beers is sub-optimal. It can be done, don't get me wrong, but that takes a lot of the fun out of things.

PTN

Trying to decide if I want to lug all my stuff with me to brew or not - I don't have the smoothest process yet, my gear takes up craptons of room.

Oops. I just purchased a raffle ticket THEN read the first post. I did not put my HBT handle in the notes section. Can I send my receipt to someone to match-up my name with my, well, name?

Ehhh... suuuuuuuuure... Nooooooo problem guys.

I can see those two raffel tickets now...

Uhhh... this one is... CAPE BREWING

and this one is... CAPE BREWING

(joking. I'm sure the real winners will be able to be tracked down no matter what... your Paypal payment had to come from an email account so...)

FYI, I've got a four-way garden hose splitter we can use, if needed. Just bring along a hose.

Paulie, how's the water out there? You guys just use tap, don't you?

Ehhh... suuuuuuuuure... Nooooooo problem guys.

I can see those two raffel tickets now...

Uhhh... this one is... CAPE BREWING

and this one is... CAPE BREWING

(joking. I'm sure the real winners will be able to be tracked down no matter what... your Paypal payment had to come from an email account so...)

Ok, but if I don't win.....:D It's going for a good cause anyway.

No problem if you didn't include your HBT user name. We'll find you, I promise. PayPal provides your real name, email address and mailing address.

Frank

I have a logistics question about brewing there. I don't currently have an outdoor setup, but might come by earlier to hang out and socialize/learn folks' methods. I've always wondered something about about when people get together for group brewing. I know you don't want to oxygenate your wort once it starts fermenting. So do you do the boiling/cooling part and wait to get home to pitch your yeast? Seems like it getting sloshed around while driving home is going to introduce a fair amount of oxygen, yes?

Yup... Just wait 'til you get home to pitch the yeast. Chill to below 80, take it home and then pitch away. (assuming you get down to pitching temps by the time you get home)

Plus... Fermentation isnt really gonna start for a bit after you pitch anyway so sloshing it around, right after you putch isnt goin to hurt it, unless you are driving for about fifteen hours or something... And even then, it wouldnt hurt it

Uhh guys, oxygenation is a crucial part of the first phase of fermentation. Why do you thing we sometimes use a bottle of oxygen and a fancy pants oxygen stone to bubble oxygen thru the brew? Yeast need oxygen to replicate. Yeast growth is an aerobic process, the problem with oxygen in the fermentation is that it leads to oxydized flavors. It would be virtually impossible to put to much oxygen into you wort, especially just sloshing around 21% air on the surface of a fermentation vessel. Taking yourwort for a ride is actually good for it.

The is a theoretical debate about when is it beer and when can you get in trouble for driving around with 5 gallons of open beer in your car. If you don't add yeast it ain't beer. If you do add yeast it might be able to be called beer but there is no measurable amount of alcohol in it in the first few hours. Kaiser won't add theyeast to his wort till he gets home because of this. Me, I say damn the torpedoes and toss it in when I get to temp and buckle the fermenting vessel in tight.

And yes, I use the tap water here. It is a little hard, I've never gone to the bother of going down to the water department in town to see what the chemistry is but it makes great porters and stouts, real freaking good pale ales, and pretty good pilsners. I don't do any adjustments at all.

I use it straight from the tap. I have a splitter on the hose bib so we can have 2 hoses running at once, and if Jay brings a 4 way then we have a ton of options.

PTN

Don't worry, Frank and I will make damned good and sure that the Cape don't win squat. We're the guys cutting up the list of names and throwing them into the hat. It will be wicked easy to have an unfortunate mishap and drop Capes name on the floor.

"What's that on the floor?"
"I don't see anything."
"Good. I don't either."

PTN

FYI, I've got a four-way garden hose splitter we can use, if needed. Just bring along a hose.

Paul has his own pipeline... from the Charles River!

I have a spare four-way splitteras well.
May not need it, but I will bring it along just in case.

Other: Gonna be some beer-friendly police detail to handle traffic/parking...?

Paul has his own pipeline... from the Charles River!

I have a spare four-way splitter as well.
May not need it, but I will bring it along just in case.

Other: Gonna be some beer-friendly police detail to handle traffic/parking...?

Paul - did you ever get in contact with BigJohn? I don't know how much time we'll have on Saturday to pull down/put up the big awning.

More cool donations promised today. Northern Brewer came thru with the immersion chiller for the all grain rig and a bunch of gift certificates and tee shirts, etc.

So many people have opened up their hearts to help out Fuller that it really is reaffirming my faith in humanity. Home brewers are a great community of people and they are showing it here. The support that is pouring forth has been nothing short of amazing and I'm glad to be a part of such a cool bunch of people.

Somebody give me a hug. Brian, come over here. C'mon, you know you want to. Rick, you too. Lets everybody hold hands and we can sing Kumbaya.

Kumbaya, my Lord,
Kumbaya.

Kumbaya my Lord,
Kumbaya.

PTN

Back