Am I Crazy - Going eBIAB to start ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBdude

Reaction score
Hi All,

Long-time lurker, but looking forward to brewing my first beer this year. I've been struggling with the initial costs and wanted to get some perspective on whether or not I am crazy. Perhaps now is not the right time to brew or maybe I am trying to do too much too soon? Would love your input.

My beer preferences are primarily focused on IPAs, DIPAs, Strong Ales, and Imperial Stouts. IPA/DIPAs are a clear winner over all others - I really enjoy Lagunitas Sucks, Victory Dirtwolf, 3 Floyds Zombie Dust / Dreadnaught, Ballast Point Sculpin, etc. you get the point. These are the types of flavors I want to incorporate into my beer.

Now that you know what I like when it comes to beer, I want you to know a little about me. I've never brewed a beer. If I do anything I do it the right way and spend more money up front so I don't replace the same parts later. I am not handy in the least. I don't know electric, I'm not good at drilling holes in anything, etc. I rarely have 8 hours a day to spend brewing / kegging beer. I don't have the patience to bottle beer. I will most likely have to brew outside or in my garage so I will need portability. I also don't want to deal with propane and open flames in/around my house.

The above brings me to eBIAB. I understand I can buy a pre-package system, it's more efficient from start to finish (from a hours perspective), and it can be broken down and stored thus making it portable. My primary interest is kegging (sixtels/corny) via 5 gallon batches, but would like the ability to do 7.5-10 gallon batches if desired.

Given the above I've come up with a list of items I could buy, but reading the above, am I going too far too fast? Am I missing anything? Am I being reasonable? I feel like I am, but wanted some independent perspectives.

Thoughts?

Total comes to ~$2,000 (I realize I can get some items used/cheaper)
15 Gallon eBIAB system from High Gravity - ~1,200
240V outlet installed by electrician - ~$250
Wort Chiller - $70
Sanitzer - $10
Fermentation Vessel - $20
Fermentation Lock - $2
Mash Paddle - $20
Gravity / Hydrometer - $20
CO2 Tank - $100
Regulator - $70
Corny Keg - $60
Dispensing Hose - $15
Quick Disconnects - $15
Tap - $15
Refrigerator / Keezer - $100
Auto-siphon - $15
Other / misc - $100

Hi All,

Long-time lurker, but looking forward to brewing my first beer this year. I've been struggling with the initial costs and wanted to get some perspective on whether or not I am crazy. Perhaps now is not the right time to brew or maybe I am trying to do too much too soon? Would love your input.

My beer preferences are primarily focused on IPAs, DIPAs, Strong Ales, and Imperial Stouts. IPA/DIPAs are a clear winner over all others - I really enjoy Lagunitas Sucks, Victory Dirtwolf, 3 Floyds Zombie Dust / Dreadnaught, Ballast Point Sculpin, etc. you get the point. These are the types of flavors I want to incorporate into my beer.

Now that you know what I like when it comes to beer, I want you to know a little about me. I've never brewed a beer. If I do anything I do it the right way and spend more money up front so I don't replace the same parts later. I am not handy in the least. I don't know electric, I'm not good at drilling holes in anything, etc. I rarely have 8 hours a day to spend brewing / kegging beer. I don't have the patience to bottle beer. I will most likely have to brew outside or in my garage so I will need portability. I also don't want to deal with propane and open flames in/around my house.

The above brings me to eBIAB. I understand I can buy a pre-package system, it's more efficient from start to finish (from a hours perspective), and it can be broken down and stored thus making it portable. My primary interest is kegging (sixtels/corny) via 5 gallon batches, but would like the ability to do 7.5-10 gallon batches if desired.

Given the above I've come up with a list of items I could buy, but reading the above, am I going too far too fast? Am I missing anything? Am I being reasonable? I feel like I am, but wanted some independent perspectives.

Thoughts?

Total comes to ~$2,000 (I realize I can get some items used/cheaper)
15 Gallon eBIAB system from High Gravity - ~1,200
240V outlet installed by electrician - ~$250
Wort Chiller - $70
Sanitzer - $10
Fermentation Vessel - $20
Fermentation Lock - $2

Mash Paddle - $20
Gravity / Hydrometer - $20
CO2 Tank - $100
Regulator - $70
Corny Keg - $60
Dispensing Hose - $15
Quick Disconnects - $15
Tap - $15

Refrigerator / Keezer - $100 Can be had for free
Auto-siphon - $15
Other / misc - $100
Items in red you will need/want multiples of.

I would be half tempted with your budget and lack of DIY to get the Blichmann Breweasy.

Breaumeister. If I could go back that's what I'd do.

And no, you're not going too fast. I'd never even seen anyone brew a beer and went straight to 3 vessel all-grain.

You should think more about fermentation temp control though, up front.

Look into brew boss over high gravity, it's a little more money, but has more features

Before you spend the money, you may want to make sure that you enjoy the process of making beer. You can buy a starter kit with a bottling bucket (or even jump in with a keg), fermenter, hydrometer, etc. and do an extract or partial mash kit on the stove top. You'll be able to reuse all of the components of the kit when you upgrade your system.

If you wanted to jump in the deep end though, which I completely understand, I would also add a temperature controlled fermentation chamber to your list, like a separate fridge/freezer with a STC-1000 or something similar

If I do anything I do it the right way and spend more money up front so I don't replace the same parts later.
I am not handy in the least.
I don't have the patience to bottle beer.
I also don't want to deal with propane and open flames in/around my house.

If spending lots of money on a brewing system was really the "right way," then thousands of home brewers would be screwed, not to mention wrong. IMHO, the "right way" involves learning the fundamentals of the chemistry, ingredients, and physical processes that define brewing. You do not need, in fact you are better off without, expensive technical solutions for brewing if those are your goals.

Those might not be your goals, though. If you are not at all handy and lack patience, you may be the type of person who wants to push a button, sit back, and watch TV while it progresses. Others can help you if that's the case.

I think there's a happy medium possible: You purchase inexpensive, basic manual brewing equipment and simply try doing it once. Spend less than $100. If you hate it, stop, and avoid spending over $1500 on a folly. If you love it, jump in with the whole shebang.

I say go for it! Lots of us started with 3 vessel all grain.

The only risk for you will be if you don't like to brew, then you'll sell the equipment for maybe half of new price... So, you'll be out a grand.

It may be worthwhile to brew with someone on their rig prior to purchasing though. That way you can see what you're getting into.

Before you spend the money, you may want to make sure that you enjoy the process of making beer. You can buy a starter kit with a bottling bucket (or even jump in with a keg), fermenter, hydrometer, etc. and do an extract or partial mash kit on the stove top. You'll be able to reuse all of the components of the kit when you upgrade your system.

If you wanted to jump in the deep end though, which I completely understand, I would also add a temperature controlled fermentation chamber to your list, like a separate fridge/freezer with a STC-1000 or something similar

This is what I did. I bought an 8 gal bayou classic brew set up on Amazon and a wiselbrewer bag to fit. Invested less than 200.
Did one batch on the stove that came out great and knew I was hooked. I ordered the brew-boss 15 gal system. I installed my own 240v circuit.
The brew-boss is a great system and I believe about $1000 less than the BrewEasy. The brew-boss controller could easily control a BrewEasy set up. My thought was that I'd take my 8gal pot and make it the top pot of my homegrown BrewEasy like system. After several brews on the brew-boss, I see no need. I'm making great beer eBIAB simply. Replicating the BrewEasy would add complexity and another pot to clean. I may still do it just for fun and variety.

So, I say jump in.

If you want a test rig, PM me and I'll sell you the Bayou 8gal pot/bag cheaply.

Good luck,
Mark

I've been exchanging messages with Darin at Brew-Boss lately...I am 95% sure it's the direction I'm going very soon - I'm just trying to decide on which system I want at this point...I travel with my job from state to state so I want a solution that is compact, professional and easy-of-use so I can bring my "brewery" with me as I move around. I got into this obsession a few months ago on my last job...I did extract/steeping on a range cooktop that was older than me...I ended up with a couple of pots, several buckets and many other odds/ends just to make it work for 5g batches. It was valuable experience and not a ton of money out of pocket...now I want to upgrade dramatically...from what I've seen and read, Brew-Boss is the ticket!

Crazy? maybe a little.

If you know this is the hobby for you, then jump right in. Electricity is just another way to heat up sugar water, I happen to prefer it to propane or rubbing two sticks together. Just remember quiet, precise temp control isn't going to guarantee great beer. You're still 99% of the process.

I've been exchanging messages with Darin at Brew-Boss lately...I am 95% sure it's the direction I'm going very soon - I'm just trying to decide on which system I want at this point...I travel with my job from state to state so I want a solution that is compact, professional and easy-of-use so I can bring my "brewery" with me as I move around. I got into this obsession a few months ago on my last job...I did extract/steeping on a range cooktop that was older than me...I ended up with a couple of pots, several buckets and many other odds/ends just to make it work for 5g batches. It was valuable experience and not a ton of money out of pocket...now I want to upgrade dramatically...from what I've seen and read, Brew-Boss is the ticket!

Lol...good to know the Trinity Killer also brews beer.

J/k....got Netflix and been watching Dexter.

Thanks for all the input. Lots of great points and encouragement - I appreciate it.

I'm going to start with a 1 gallon kit using some things I already have around the house. This will keep me busy while I get everything I need for the next step. By then, it should be clear if I'm enjoying it or not!

Back