New brewing setup advice needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeerGuy

Reaction score
I have been a brewer on an Anvil Foundry 10.5 since they were released. Nothing to complain about the unit. I have been using it at 240V since it was new and still works great!

I am now in the process of looking for a new BIAB setup that is also electric 240V. I am starting to brew some 10-gallon batches and will also continue to brew some 5 gallons as well. I have been looking at the major players in the 15-20 gallon setups (Spike, SSBrewtech, Blichmann, etc). Mostly they are all very similar. What are you all using out there that you found to be reliable and keeps efficiency in the 70-75%+ range? I can read all I want online, and I have, but real-use experience and thoughts on systems help as well. I have my favorite, I think, but want to size it up with all of you here to see if I am thinking correctly or if there is a system that I am also not considering.

Thank you and cheers! 🍻

Why not step up to the 18 Gallon Foundry? I have also heard good things about the Claw Hammer 20 Gallon BIAB system which is also 220V.
Honestly, I am looking for a little more versatility than the Foundry may offer at this time. I have looked at Clawhammer also. I forgot to mention them above.

I have the Gen 3 65l system, excellent results, easy to use. Similar to what you have, but bigger, and may be able to pick up the older version at a nice discount. I use this for smaller test batches, leave malt pipe out and do BIAB. Also removed the overflow pipe from basket, and fitted a dowel in there as a plug, never used the overflow.

I put together a system with a Spike Solo 20G kettle, Solo basket, Blichmann Brewcommander controller, More Beer 5000 watt SlingBlade element, and Riptide pump. Everything fits together perfectly, and it will do 10 or 5G batches. Still dialing in my crush for best results.

I bought a Grainfather G40 for Christmas and have been very happy with it. I much prefer it over my prior 3 vessel propane set up. The G40 will do 5 or 10 gallon batches. The G70 will do up to 16 gallon batches. What I like about my G40 is that there is no recirculation pipe in the center of the kettle/grain basket. As a result, you could use a BIAB if you wanted to in lieu of or in addition to the grain basket.

Back