Almost one step closer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hwk-I-St8

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Electrician will be installing a 50A GFCI protected outlet in the garage a week from today.

Now I need to finally pick a controller and style of system.

Right now the most likely candidate for style is a semi-flexible system that can work as either eBIAB or K-RIMS. I currently have a 10G Brewbuilt welded kettle and mash in a cooler.

I am thinking I can pick up a 15G BIAB kettle (they have a "custom" kettle shown below that includes a TC port for the element plus the usual assortment of 1/2" npt ports for drain, thermo and such). I may have them put an upper TC port on there for a steam slayer. I'm set up to brew in the garage (which is heated), but I'd like to be able to keep the door shut. The steam slayer seems like a nicer solution vs putting a hole in the wall for ventilation.

The 15g eKettle could serve as a standalone eBIAB kettle when combined with a utah biodiesel basket or bag and controller. Or, I could run it as a K-RIMS kettle to heat/boil. My existing 10G kettle, outfitted with a false bottom, would be the mashtun. Add a pump and auto-sparge and I'm set up for bigger grain bills. I could also batch sparge with that with room temp water for increased efficiency when brewing ultra-high gravity (I like 12+% stouts).

For a controller, I'm leaning towards a customized brew control box from auber. It has the DSPR-320. If I go with Model E, Style 4, I can run up to two pumps from the control box.

Thoughts?

eBIAB.png

Latest posts

Back