20 gallon eKettle upgrade - what's your preference?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westo2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After years of brewing in a electric keggle, I'm moving up to an actual electric kettle and am looking for others experiences. Generally done 10 gallon batches but on higher gravity beers or when I've pushed volume up to 13-14 gallons, obviously gets a bit tight on the boilovers. I'm also looking to do 15 gallon batches so the time to move up has arrived.

I run a 50A eBrewSupply panel, am looking for a whirlpool port, and something with either etched gallon marks or an integrated site glass. Integrated temperature isn't really required as I only am checking that on knock out and can read those temperatures at by pump if need be.

The SSBrewtech 20 gallon eKettle has gotten my eye - but their website states that the kettle is only compatible with their controllers on account of the integrated PT100 temp probe. Anyone have one and know if that only affects the temperature probe readout - will the element itself be able to be run off my panel? Anyone know if you can either splice the 3.5mm connection into an XLR connector or run an adapter and make the temperature probe work? If the only issue with that kettle is that the temperature probe won't work, that's not a deal breaker.

The Spike Brewing Tank is $$ but looks like an amazing piece of hardware. Anyone have any first hand experiences? Their OG looks like quite a nice kettle as well.

Any others I'm missing but should be considering?

I'm also eyeballing the steam condensing lid from Spike - anyone have one and have feedback on how it works with various kettles?

Current setup:

Attachments

• IMG_20161227_060045.jpg
    IMG_20161227_060045.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
SSbrewtech doesn't really offer anything special, unless by special you mean proprietary parts.

15 gallon batches? Minimum 20-22 gallons. If you don't need it to be bottom drain:

Spike OG 20 (22 actual) I have one on hand that already has a front drain TC port, a rear element TC port and then an upper sidewall TC for a SteamSlayer.

Brewbuilt 20 (22 actual) - I can add the element port for either a Ripple TC element or Slingblade.

Bottom Drainable

Spike 20G tank (already has the bottom drain and legs.

Blichmann Boilermaker 20G custom. Since the bottom is not triclad, I can weld TC to the bottom. I've been leaning towards these lately when someone doesn't mind cutting a hole in their table for the drain to extend through.

BrewMaster 25 (25 actual) - Has two welded NPT ports on the front, can add TC ports for an element. Also bottom drainable via TC welds.

Bobby - thanks for the thorough response and overview. I've got no real compelling reason to go bottom drain, so I'm intrigued by the Brewbuilt 20 and the Slingblade. But - if a bottom drain kettle can fit in my stand without requiring serious modifications (stand photo below), I'd be willing to entertain it. I'll send you a PM to start working out the order details but I'd like to get a quote from you for the configuration options with the Slingblade and SteamSlayer if it can be incorperated. Is there a way to get a port added for a whirlpool arm? I'm hoping this is the last major upgrade to my system, so I'm looking to get it built to just work rather than me trying to piecemeal everything together on my end.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_2764.JPG
    IMG_2764.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Back