Control box placement/brew area setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dzimm27

Reaction score
Built a control box for my 15 gal EBIAB kettle setup (has been a few years in process). My brew area is not a dedicated one - instead I set up in the middle of the garage (currently use a hellfire propane burner with leg extensions and a fairly sturdy folding square table next to it for flat workspace/equipment “clean on deck” during the brew.

My intention was to reuse this folding table with the kettle sitting on it with a rubber pad below it to isolate heat from the table. Big question here for me was where to put the control box as it really has to either mount on a wall/stand of some sort from the back, or lay flat on its back on the table (next to the kettle). Pic attached but 30a input/outputs are on the bottom, pump output on the right, heatsink on top. Didn’t love that placement for potential spill concerns. I do have some wire shelving I could build some sort of hook mount for the control box to hang over the edge of a shelf perhaps though. Brewbuilt has a tabletop controller stand that I might be able to modify. Anything I do needs to have a small footprint to be tucked away or taken back inside after a brew given limited storage space in the garage.

Came here to ask for suggestions for placement of the control box given I still have not found an ideal dedicated wall spot to mount it (really full garage). Still would love alternative ideas there but now I’m also wondering if a small kettle stand/table would be a smarter option for a more sturdy support and would also leave my square folding table more available to even lay the controller on if I had to. Thoughts/input on what you do or have seen done appreciated! Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_3138.jpeg
    IMG_3138.jpeg
    513.4 KB · Views: 0
If you use a small square stainless steel table that uses 1.5" diameter tubular legs, you can drill a hole in the table top directly over one of those legs and insert a longer piece of pipe into a leg to act as the controller bracket riser. Another way is to just mount it to the garage wall somewhere and brew close to that. Is there any particular reason it has to be in the middle of the garage? Maybe you're still using your open flame brain?

If you use a small square stainless steel table that uses 1.5" diameter tubular legs, you can drill a hole in the table top directly over one of those legs and insert a longer piece of pipe into a leg to act as the controller bracket riser. Another way is to just mount it to the garage wall somewhere and brew close to that. Is there any particular reason it has to be in the middle of the garage? Maybe you're still using your open flame brain?
I have no open walls to brew "against". Also trying to use one of the two sides of the 2 car garage door track braces (angle iron supports I can just hook my pulley to). ....and force of habit. I think you're right on my open flame brain. I could potentially mount the controller on the right hand wall of my garage and even leave it in place permanently. Can run as long as a cord as needed out to wherever I put a table in the garage. Will revisit. I can put another pulley brace wherever I need to. Thanks for kicking me a bit there to revisit that.

I'll also look into a little stainless table with rollers and low enough height to see into easily yet high enough to gravity feed to a fermenter (or through chiller) if needed.

Thanks!

I am not so sure as far as your table but I mounted my panel on a monitor swing arm that clamps to the brew stand. They are made with various tilt and range options. Just weigh your panel and research the particular mount weight limits. I used to brew outside with my rig until I added in the hood. I can swing it back in over the table when I am not using it. You could also do something like a coat stand or IV pole.

Attachments

• 20220312_235011.jpg
    20220312_235011.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Back