2015 Bourbon County releases

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope there are more waves of the regular BCBS. I have been down at the beach with nowhere close that got any. Don't really care about all of the variants just regular.

I hope there are more waves of the regular BCBS. I have been down at the beach with nowhere close that got any. Don't really care about all of the variants just regular.

The beach meaning Myrtle? It's possible there are still some cases up in Florence (no limit either), call both Micky Finns locations and ask. If you meant Outer Banks then can't help you.

The beach meaning Myrtle? It's possible there are still some cases up in Florence (no limit either), call both Micky Finns locations and ask. If you meant Outer Banks then can't help you.

Unfortunately not close to myrtle. I'm in the dead zone of beer right now.

Came here to read about neckbeard parking lot brawls over line cutting.

Leaving very disappointed.
Neckbeards don't ever actually say anything to the line cutters, they just ***** about it on the internets where they can't actually get into a real life confrontation.

Last edited:
Whole Foods was doing a release at noon today. Friend strolled by at 9:30 to find no line. He gets on and texts me. Six bottles of rare, case of regal and BW. I figured it would be a ******** so I steered clear. Easy 45-50 minute trip for me. Texts me an hour later still no line. Hop on the subway and get off to a slurry of messages. Rare sold out. Four bottles of Regal left. I was fifth in line at that point. Oh well. Got some stout and BW

Whole Foods was doing a release at noon today. Friend strolled by at 9:30 to find no line. He gets on and texts me. Six bottles of rare, case of regal and BW. I figured it would be a ******** so I steered clear. Easy 45-50 minute trip for me. Texts me an hour later still no line. Hop on the subway and get off to a slurry of messages. Rare sold out. Four bottles of Regal left. I was fifth in line at that point. Oh well. Got some stout and BW
I'm hanging out at home yesterday and hear of two stores in downtown Minneapolis that had regular, coffee, and BW. Short drive, stores are close together, not posted on BA or anything, so should be easy. This part of downtown is pretty dead on a day like this. I'm looking for parking....I see a compact car at the intersection with a bearded driver, couple other guys in the back. OK, no biggie, could be just downtown for some other reason.

I park, walk up to the store...car with four hungover looking bearded men in ski jackets pulls up...this time I know it's real.

One guy lurches out of the car, runs in ahead of me...we both head to the register. Guy is so amped that he can't even talk straight. They have cases of each beer behind the counter, no one in the store. He struggles to tell the clerk what he wants....his buddies rush in behind me, panting, stumbling...there is a moment of tense, boiling silence as they converse with their eyes...clerk looks at me, I say "I'll take one of each."

"EACH??? WAIT DO THEY HAVE REGAL" one guys asks to no one in particular. First guy: "Uhhh...do you have Regal Rye?"

Clerk thinks for a second... looks at his pile or beer, laconically answers "No, just stout, coffee, barley." "UM UM, DO YOU HAVE A BOTTLE LIMIT??" "Well, you can buy one of each. "WHAT IS THAT OTHER CASE. IS THAT ****ING RARE" "Ummmm....that is the Lolita. I think it's a raspberry sour ale." Clerk's contempt, boredom, and mild confusion is in stark contrast to the laser focused depravity.

"Want the Lolita sir?" he asks me. "No thanks, I'll take one of each of the others."

I hear a chorus of heavy breathing as I swipe my credit card.

Last edited:
I'm hanging out at home yesterday and hear of two stores in downtown Minneapolis that had regular, coffee, and BW. Short drive, stores are close together, not posted on BA or anything, so should be easy. This part of downtown is pretty dead on a day like this. I'm looking for parking....I see a compact car at the intersection with a bearded driver, couple other guys in the back. OK, no biggie, could be just downtown for some other reason.

I park, walk up to the store...car with four hungover looking bearded men in ski jackets pulls up...this time I know it's real.

One guy lurches out of the car, runs in ahead of me...we both head to the register. Guy is so amped that he can't even talk straight. They have cases of each beer behind the counter, no one in the store. He struggles to tell the clerk what he wants....his buddies rush in behind me, panting, stumbling...there is a moment of tense, boiling silence as they converse with their eyes...clerk looks at me, I say "I'll take one of each."

"EACH??? WAIT DO THEY HAVE REGAL" one guys asks to no one in particular. First guy: "Uhhh...do you have Regal Rye?"

Clerk thinks for a second... looks at his pile or beer, laconically answers "No, just stout, coffee, barley." "UM UM, DO YOU HAVE A BOTTLE LIMIT??" "Well, you can buy one of each. "WHAT IS THAT OTHER CASE. IS THAT ****ING RARE" "Ummmm....that is the Lolita. I think it's a raspberry sour ale." Clerk's contempt, boredom, and mild confusion is in stark contrast to the laser focused depravity.

"Want the Lolita sir?" he asks me. "No thanks, I'll take one of each of the others."

I hear a chorus of heavy breathing as I swipe my credit card.
And thus began the least appealing orgy ever.

12314525_10204296735812271_2450611215442764801_o.jpg

HAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

So for those who have had a few of the variants what's the verdict this year? Only gotten the regular here but I think it's the best year fresh that I've had yet.

Heard Barleywine is disappointing?
How's the coffee?
Regal/Prop worth the price of admission?

Edit: FWIW Coffee is typically my favorite and I loved Backyard.

Last edited:
So for those who have had a few of the variants what's the verdict this year? Only gotten the regular here but I think it's the best year fresh that I've had yet.

How's the coffee?

Skip em all. Get a sip of rare from someone just to say you did it. Acquire moar regular.

BW is definitely "off"

Heard some vegatal complaints on coffee but haven't had it yet myself

I'm usually not a fan of Barleywine, but I thought this years blend has been fantastic on every draft / bottle pour I've tried so far.

Coffee has been a weird one for me as some pours I get a vegetal green pepper / oxidized coffee thing and others taste / smell great.

Prop is divisive, and I think it is one of the largest variances in keg pours I've ever seen (think that 2nd batch of Hunahpu where some bottles were insanely pepper forward / cinnamon forward / vanilla forward / etc...)

Regal has been really impressive to me all the time, but I think some folks are missing the jammy character found in Bramble / Backyard.

Rare is really good, but the price of admission is high.

Regular is my favorite since 2011 out of the gate.

How's the coffee?

Edit: FWIW Coffee is typically my favorite and I loved Backyard.

I agree with your thoughts on regular out of the bottle I had. Loads of richness. Vanilla, bourbon, oak, and a hint of smoke.

Barleywine on draft for me was a little thinner than the previous two years. It had some nice toffee notes, but it wasn't bourbon caramel like 2014 or 2013 in the head to head. 2014 specifically was much richer side by side.

I haven't had a bottle yet of coffee but on draft it had a very nice medium roast nose and the coffee blended really well into the base stout. It's different than previous years as I think it is more integrated into the base beer where 2013 was basically espresso with BCBS in the background. Although 2013 is still my favorite because I'm one of those that prefers adjuncts to smack me in the face if I'm buying it for the adjuncts.

Regal rye was more cocktail than variant as someone on here said last week. The juice really thinned it out for me. There was a wine-like quality to the fruit character rather than a jamminess. A hint of the tart cherry was interesting and a big sea salt finish. I only got 1 bottle and I'm fine with that. I'll revisit in 6-12 months and see if it hits my palate better than the draft pour I had.

I loved Prop but again I'm one that wants the adjunct to hit me in the mouth. Huge maple. That makes it too sweet for some, and that's fair. That said, I think it's a bottle you split 3-4 ways and you're satisfied. The toasted pecan finish might be my favorite part. I thought the pepper heat really just meshed with the rye notes I was getting. Very subdued. That's a draft pour though, so bottle variation is a real thing.

I thought Rare was phenomenal. Boozy and fudgy. I'd try to get more if not for the price tag. It has a lot of oak, hints of tannins, but the body and finish are fudge to me. Pretty bourbon forward nose and entrance. I've got one to drink in 9-12 months and the last one in 12-24 months. I don't care to see it get older than that as I already enjoy it now.

I'm still surprised they didn't do their "Winter's Bourbon Cask" variant, that was their flagship bourbon stout just a few years ago... Maybe they are working on it for next year's Prop

Hmm as someone who loved the the wonderfully jammy Backyard, I think Regal kind of sucks... guy beside me who didn't like Backyard loved Regal so there's that. Give me regular or slap me with that adjunct dick. In between is just a let down..

Perfectly ok that I struck out on Regal.

I was not a fan of Barleywine this year, I guess it's fine then that none came to my area. Coffee was just okay, I'd rather drink Coffee Eclipse this year and they're probably about the same price/ounce now. Regular at least is on point.

Rumor is that Coffee BCBS is infected, getting nasty, whatever.

I'm not sure if it's a real problem or if this is just the latest version of "the gold caps are Pappy barrel aged."

Go on....

Ya saw someone else say something about it. Source?

This:

Rumor is that Coffee BCBS is infected, getting nasty, whatever.

I'm not sure if it's a real problem or if this is just the latest version of "the gold caps are Pappy barrel aged."

Also there's some massive effort to track "batch numbers" of good and bad ones, which as far as I can tell is the timestamp from the bottling line and has nothing to do with a "batch" or anything like that.

Rumors of bad/infected bottles of barleywine are swirling around now as well.

This:

Also there's some massive effort to track "batch numbers" of good and bad ones, which as far as I can tell is the timestamp from the bottling line and has nothing to do with a "batch" or anything like that.

Rumors of bad/infected bottles of barleywine are swirling around now as well.

Where is all this massive effort and rumor milling occurring?

Where is all this massive effort and rumor milling occurring?

Seen it pretty much everywhere: FIB thread here, BA, every high-volume FB group, Reddit, even on Twitter where Goose Island has actually been responding to people (apparently they are "looking into it"). Since I don't have any bottles or any interest in acquiring anything beyond regular (which no one has reported problems with), I've only followed it passively. There's also some rumor out there that GI is offering refunds on bad bottles but I have no idea if that's true or not.

As far as tracking it, someone created a Google Docs spreadsheet (I don't have the link off-hand but it's probably not too hard to find).

Seen it pretty much everywhere: FIB thread here, BA, every high-volume FB group, Reddit, even on Twitter where Goose Island has actually been responding to people (apparently they are "looking into it"). Since I don't have any bottles or any interest in acquiring anything beyond regular (which no one has reported problems with), I've only followed it passively. There's also some rumor out there that GI is offering refunds on bad bottles but I have no idea if that's true or not.

As far as tracking it, someone created a Google Docs spreadsheet (I don't have the link off-hand but it's probably not too hard to find).
GI has a lab on hand to handle these sorts of things.

And while many reports sound like an infection there are others that are full blown idiots. Green pepper is not an infection.

GI has a lab on hand to handle these sorts of things.

And while many reports sound like an infection there are others that are full blown idiots. Green pepper is not an infection.

Oh for sure, there's so many dipshits out there that have no idea how to even evaluate their own palates. They are constantly looking to be told if they should be enjoying something or how it should be tasting.

On the flip side are sisseronies providing detailed tasting notes for barrel-aged maple syrup sample pours.

On the flip side are sisseronies providing detailed tasting notes for barrel-aged maple syrup sample pours.
Are you some kind of noob who can't taste the terroir in different regional maple syrups or something? :cool:

In all seriousness, my one and only BCBCS I had was opened this past Monday. It did have a suspect amount of carb when poured. More so than any other BCBC I've ever opened.
Cold, it did have a slight tartness I chalked up to the coffee but once it warmed, it was miles better than the pour I had at FOBAB. That had way too much green pepper for a "fresh" coffee beer.
Soooooo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

I opened two Coffees in the last two days. Both were fine.

The FOBAB pours were absolute coffee bombs, which I enjoyed a lot. The bottles were definitely less potent, but still solid.

Back