2013 NHC in Philly! Who's going?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's on my wife's list.
Guess that's why she stays with me. :cross:

I've been there three times, and everytime I swear never again! I have no interest in what an infants skull looks like that has been riddled with syphilis.

Anyway, back to the beer stuff! :mug: I'm headed out to the garage to finish up some booth stuff. And assemble about 150 bottle openers! ;)

question, for club night... lots of people are bringing kegs, can I just show up with a cooler full of meade? do I need my own vessel (cooler) do I need my own ice? will they tell me to **** off?

Im glad to know that anoldur is gonna be delivering me a scrapple egg and cheese sandwich every morning!

question, for club night... lots of people are bringing kegs, can I just show up with a cooler full of meade? do I need my own vessel (cooler) do I need my own ice? will they tell me to **** off?

Im glad to know that anoldur is gonna be delivering me a scrapple egg and cheese sandwich every morning!

from what i've read, you need your stuff dropped off by thursday at the latest. It has to have a special tag attached to it. They will provide ice, but it's up to you to have something to cool it down in.

Yeah, they'll to you to f off, IF you just move in. But you bring a cooler of mead, and just bring it in the door or in the hospitality suite (this year called the "liberty well" I believe) and you'll get plenty of new friends to hang with.

I brought leftover kegs and such in there to share, along with a few bottles. Just keep the stuff in your room until you want to share it. Or have a party, and invite us. Either way!

The clubs that are signed up have booths and some of them are quite creative. They are assigned a place with a table, etc, and they turn in their beer by Thursday and it's delivered to the right place at the right time. But still there are others wandering around with their own samples to share at any given moment, even during the seminars.

The elevator at the 2008 NHC had a big sign next to it called "The Vertical Tasting Suite" and often people where in there with a cooler and picnic taps pouring beer samples.

Trust me, there is beer absolutely everywhere, and most of it is pretty good!

claphamsa said:

If you are anywhere on the convention center floor then you don't want to try and do too much yourself - the trade unions at the center are very, uh, zealous about protecting their work. ;)

I don't know what it is like in downtown Philly, but up here, many of the Asian restaurants, and a few others, often do not have liquor licenses and welcome BYOB. I have a couple beers I'm bringing down (bottles) and lunch at a BYOB place might be a nice time to share them.

Perhaps some of the locals might know of such a place nearby

AnOldUR said:
Is the Market BYO?

I can't recommend any by personal experience. However, if you go to visitphilly dot com and search "byob" you'll be able to search by neighborhood. Looks like there's one a block away in Chinatown called Banana Leaf that could be interesting. Rittenhouse Square is a short cab ride away and has a lot more choices. Good luck.

A tip for those who haven't been to the banquet before...there are no reserved tables. The line to get in forms EARLY! If you want a table near the front, or if there's a group of you who want to sit together, plan on being in line at least 2 hours before the banquet. Bring beer to share while you're in line.

Hi All,

Never been to Philly before. The area near the host hotel and convention center is referred to as Center City?

My SWMBO is joining me for the convention, and I've got to hurry up and find a "nice" restaurant to take her too late afternoon, early Thursday before the Pro party.

I'm not trying to get two bar stools at Monk's, and I realize I may be screwed, but it's technically not last minute yet, so I'm hoping I can sneak in a reservation somewhere in walking distance, or a decent cab ride anyway.

Anyone have any suggestions for a non-beer restaurant? Not necessarily looking for a well known place, like Ruth's Chris, but more of a high end wine/tapas bar - or a "can't miss martini bar" with awesome food, etc....

Thanks in advance

nhwrecker said:
Hi All,

Never been to Philly before. The area near the host hotel and convention center is referred to as Center City?

My SWMBO is joining me for the convention, and I've got to hurry up and find a "nice" restaurant to take her too late afternoon, early Thursday before the Pro party.

I'm not trying to get two bar stools at Monk's, and I realize I may be screwed, but it's technically not last minute yet, so I'm hoping I can sneak in a reservation somewhere in walking distance, or a decent cab ride anyway.

Anyone have any suggestions for a non-beer restaurant? Not necessarily looking for a well known place, like Ruth's Chris, but more of a high end wine/tapas bar - or a "can't miss martini bar" with awesome food, etc....

Thanks in advance

For tapas, I'd try Amada in Old City or Tinto in Rittenhouse Square. Both by Jose Garces. Both pretty fancy-shmancy, if that's what you're looking for.

Not much for martinis, but you could check out Bleu Martini or Continental Mid-Town. Personally, the vibe at Continental is not for me (never been to Bleu Martini). But then again, neither are martinis.

Hi All,

Thanks in advance

Yea DONT go to Blue Martini, its a *****ey joint with blue walls and no food.

The Continental (Midtown or Old City) are good martini bars with good reasonably priced food, good drink, very cool decor. I worked there for 7 years in college :)

You really cant go wrong if you go to any restaurant that Stephen Starr or Jose Garces (Iron Chef) own.

http://garcesgroup.com/
http://www.starr-restaurant.com/

A good wine bar with good food, imo, a place called Vintage right in Center City. Good wine selection great food, not a big beer selection but always has Allagash White on tap.

I'll be there all 3 days with my brew partner in crime.

Quick question, is it feasible to sell my ticket to the Club night on Friday? I'm barely able to make all 3 days of the conference as it is. Between 2 small kids and a wife 6 weeks out from spine surgery I had to call in a ton of favors for babysitters for 3 days. I was thinking if i could sell my Friday night ticket for a reasonable price I could afford to cover the cost of my sitters.

If this is something that is allowed, what is a fair price? I don't want to be a dick.

Boy, have I got a headache this morning! I stayed up way too late chatting with some people I haven't seen in a long time.

I'm off shortly for the DFH tours.

I was out walking around last evening when my phone was vibrating every time I was somewhere I couldn't talk (a loud bar, the bathroom) so I called Bob to tell him a friend was calling and hanging up over and over. He called her, and she didn't want to leave the news as a message on my voicemail but one of my friends died yesterday.

It was such a sudden shock. I don't know when the arrangements will be or anything at this point. It's weird how you can be obliviously eating cheesesteak and drinking beer, without knowing that something big happened in your life. So I really didn't sleep well at all, and I keep thinking about my dear friend Tom.

Anyway, my eyes are bloodshot from crying and I'm tired. Still, Tom would have wanted me to remember the good person he was and the great things he had done with his life to save the environment and wilderness. He wouldn't want me to mourn heavily and be sad.

I'm going to drink my first beer today in a toast to Tom.

I'll be there all 3 days with my brew partner in crime.

Quick question, is it feasible to sell my ticket to the Club night on Friday? I'm barely able to make all 3 days of the conference as it is. Between 2 small kids and a wife 6 weeks out from spine surgery I had to call in a ton of favors for babysitters for 3 days. I was thinking if i could sell my Friday night ticket for a reasonable price I could afford to cover the cost of my sitters.

If this is something that is allowed, what is a fair price? I don't want to be a dick.

No, in order to go to club night you have to have a "package" for the event. They aren't separate, as least as far as I know.

Newbie needs help with what He's actually attending. So I thought I signed up for the FULL Conference - I was wait listed but then offered a purchase of the "full" conference. What my receipt says is:
Friday and Saturday Only
Full Conference
Banquet

But the notices I've been receiving from AHA indicate that I can attend Pro Brewers Night - but not the Thursday Conferences??? Just confused - thanks in advance for the help.
And see you all there!

Newbie needs help with what He's actually attending. So I thought I signed up for the FULL Conference - I was wait listed but then offered a purchase of the "full" conference. What my receipt says is:
Friday and Saturday Only
Full Conference
Banquet

But the notices I've been receiving from AHA indicate that I can attend Pro Brewers Night - but not the Thursday Conferences??? Just confused - thanks in advance for the help.
And see you all there!

sounds like you got the same package as me, which actually starts Thursday night. Here's the website and text.

http://www.ahaconference.org/conference/register/

Full Conference…Almost – No Thursday Seminars
The same conference fun as the Full Conference package, except no seminars on Thursday afternoon . Thursday afternoon seminars are repeated on Friday or Saturday.

Includes:
Friday & Saturday Seminars
Homebrew Expo
Liberty Well Social Club
Welcome Toast
Keynote Address
Pro-Brewers Night
Club Night
$195 Sold Out
Thursday seminars are repeated on Friday or Saturday.

And thanks to the rest of you for suggestions on where to go with the SWMBO

Thanks - but when I track the charges to my credit card I initially was charged $195, then an additional $205, then finally refunded $195.

Guess I'll sort it out when I get there.....

Does anybody know the policy on backpacks? I'll be taking the train in and out and would like to bring some homebrews with me. Thanks.

Does anybody know the policy on backpacks? I'll be taking the train in and out and would like to bring some homebrews with me. Thanks.

That is an amazing question. As a first timer myself I was planning on taking PATCO in from South NJ. I've seen pictures from years past of the vendors in the expo area giving out lots of SWAG. I want to be able to carry it all in my own backpack.

remthewanderer said:
That is an amazing question. As a first timer myself I was planning on taking PATCO in from South NJ. I've seen pictures from years past of the vendors in the expo area giving out lots of SWAG. I want to be able to carry it all in my own backpack.

I'm also a local/first timer not staying at the hotel. Does anyone know if backpacks are allowed? For all the reasons stated earlier I'd really like to have one.

I'm also a local/first timer not staying at the hotel. Does anyone know if backpacks are allowed? For all the reasons stated earlier I'd really like to have one.

We've always had them in the past, among other things. I've been carrying a backpack around, but we haven't had a "big" event yet at the conference center. At the BNA8 party tonight, there were lots of backpacks and bags and stuff.

I'm a newb at NHC as well but a buddy who is a Vet said backpacks are good, it's very laid back.

If you're into obscene sandwiches, take the subway to paseano's. holy mother.

image-873786971.jpg

anyone know if anyone is doing any live webcams of any of nhc?

Not that I know of. I know the homebrew competition results will be done with webcams by the AHA.

We don't have any good internet (I'm too cheap to pay for the hotel's and I don't have a smart phone) so I'm using my mifi.

My camera died tonight, but I had a great time with several HBTers and just left a party in a fellow HBTers room.

ProBrewers Night was fun, but so was hanging with some old friends I haven't seen in a long, long time. I think the last time I saw FireBrewer was 2007(?) and some others in 2008.

We're going to plan a lunch get-together tomorrow so text me (or PM if you don't have my number!) to hear the plan. I think we'll be heading to Reading Terminal Market around noon, with about 3000 other people. So text me to see who's where!

Getting these guys together is like herding cats, but we've got a pretty great bunch so far!

Just a heads up, reading terminal is an absolute mad house around lunch time and on weekends.

Oh, yes, and it'll be extra specially crazy with 3500 people from this conference trying to get lunch too.

Last night was a blast. Here's the funniest thing that happened to me, I think. I'm standing there just chatting with John Palmer and a few HBTers come up. We decide on a group photo. Soper says to Palmer, "Picture?" He says "sure" and puts his arm around me to pose.

Soper hands him the camera and says, "No I wanted to know if you would take a picture of US". Palmer reached for the camera and said "Ok". Soper then said, "I'm just kidding", and gave his camera to someone and we posed with Palmer.

I don't know if that "translates" as funny when I type it out, but believe me it was hysterically funny. These guys are posing and smiling all night while people pose with them.

Second to the funniest- a keg "blew up" at Lagunitas. It was a beer shower, straight up into the air, of epic proportions. Floor is still sticky.

The lagaunitas fountain was great. Pro night was loud and I'm sure that's why I have a slight headache this morning...

Got to talk to Al from ECY for a while last night which was beyond cool

The lagaunitas fountain was great. Pro night was loud and I'm sure that's why I have a slight headache this morning...

Got to talk to Al from ECY for a while last night which was beyond cool

We must be coming down with something, as I have a headache too. :D

I went to bed at 3:15 AM. Not bad for an old fart like me. I'm supposed to wake up Soper for lunch.

Back