2013 NHC in Philly! Who's going?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ugh, just got an email that I got the last spot for the exam.... but its Wedesday at 11. cant move my plans up a day! oh well.

What about Triumph Brewing on Saturday evening? It's a long walking distance, but if the weather is nice we can walk it (or share a cab). I've never been there, but I heard about it somewhere and wondered about it.

Google says it's about a 20 minute walk, so not bad at all. Need to get a little excercise with the 8000 beer calories a day...

I'm going. Haven't read through most of the thread though. Hoping I can hitch a ride with a clubmate, if not I'll be taking the bus up. I've got a ride with a clubmate down.

What about Triumph Brewing on Saturday evening? It's a long walking distance, but if the weather is nice we can walk it (or share a cab). I've never been there, but I heard about it somewhere and wondered about it.

Across the street from triumph is Eulogy. Triumph is ok. Nice building. The walk is safe-ish. I have done it.

i dont know if its available in philly but try to get a real NJ taylor ham and cheese breakfast sandwich if you can while your so close

Go to Trenton for pork roll (damned good, really!). But in Philly, scrapple & eggs FTW. :rockin: There is a breakfast joint in Reading Terminal that serves it, as do probably several dozen joints in the area. You can get some Amish-made scrapple to go in RT as well.

Drooling on my keyboard just thinking about scrapple.

I'm going. Haven't read through most of the thread though. Hoping I can hitch a ride with a clubmate, if not I'll be taking the bus up. I've got a ride with a clubmate down.

On the off chance you can leave weds a.m., I'm staying at my sisters in DC Tuesday and then driving to philly on weds.

yooper called us her "imaginary friends" - LOVE IT!

But in Philly, scrapple & eggs FTW. :rockin:

Drooling on my keyboard just thinking about scrapple.
ha! i was just about to ask if scrapple is big in PA. i know it's huge in DE and MD, but i haven't had it in a while. might be the perfect breakfast for the morning after the night before...

ha! i was just about to ask if scrapple is big in PA. i know it's huge in DE and MD, but i haven't had it in a while.

I have family in the Philly area as well as Trenton. When family comes up, they show their love by bringing a cooler of Habbersett scrapple and a couple of Taylor pork rolls. The local Amish scrapple is awesome but doesn't travel as well, but Habbersett is really good. Habbersett does mail order as well - frozen pork products in dry ice arriving in the mail is the BEST!

I was in Philly for a conference a couple of years ago and made a point to get to a good breakfast joint for scrapple. A couple of out-of-towners from the conference came in after I placed my order and started talking about how scrapple was to be avoided like the plague. Then my order came out and I started digging in, and one of them asked what I was eating. "Scrapple" I replied. They looked at each other, shrugged, and both ordered scrapple :ban:

I was in Philly for a conference a couple of years ago and made a point to get to a good breakfast joint for scrapple.

i need a name and address, NOW.

to anyone who has no idea what we're talking about: do NOT look into what scrapple is. trust me - it's the hot dog of breakfast meat. it's also delicious. if you're an adventurous carnivore, just go for it. otherwise, stick with your meats of known origin. personally, i recommend that you go for it :ban:

We were in a hotel right in downtown, across from Reading Terminal Market. There is a diner in there, Down Home Diner I think. There must be others in the area too, but it was convenient and good.

While you're there, get a real hoagie.

Actually, when you are not actually drinking beer at the NHC, you should be at Reading Terminal eating everything in sight.

to anyone who has no idea what we're talking about: do NOT look into what scrapple is. trust me - it's the hot dog of breakfast meat. it's also delicious. if you're an adventurous carnivore, just go for it. otherwise, stick with your meats of known origin. personally, i recommend that you go for it :ban:

It was always explained to me that scrapple was made of the stuff that was left over after making hotdogs. Mmmmm...pig snout... Don't be afraid of scrapple; if you are any sort of breakfast gourmand you'll thank us later.

I always thought it was the cuts that weren't good enough for hot dogs ;)

On the off chance you can leave weds a.m., I'm staying at my sisters in DC Tuesday and then driving to philly on weds.

I'd planned on leaving Thursday morning, and am hoping to keep it that way. Leaving Wednesday AM is a possibility, but I'd like to avoid it if at all possible.

Not something I'm ever in a hurry to try. I've heard its good, but grits are supposedly good too, and I can't stand them.

Putting in a shameless plug for a customer of mine - If you guys have an hour or two to kill and want something non-beer related to do, consider checking out the completely redesigned Philadelphia Mint tour...

United States Mint Philadelphia
151 North Independence Mall East
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19106-1886

Monday through Saturday 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

The tour is self-guided, so no reservations are needed and it's completely free.

TNGabe said:
I think a HBT meet and greet would be fun! To me, Thursday lunch or Friday after the last seminar both look like good times.

On a seperate note, do any locals have good late night (non-cheesestreak) drunk food suggestions?

Reading terminal market is great for breakfast and lunch, but it isn't open late.

Penang in Chinatown is pretty good, serves until 1 am. Good dog bar and nodding head serve food late, but may only be more pub food, and not what you're looking for.

the conference hotel charges 12.95 a day for interwebs....bastards

Yeah, and $45 a day for parking!

I"m bringing my little wifi "hotspot" and hope it works, as I don't have a smartphone like everybody else in America seems to!

If my hotspot works, I'll let you use it for only $9.95 a day/ :p

Or free if you happen to be close by.

I"m bringing my little wifi "hotspot" and hope it works, as I don't have a smartphone like everybody else in America seems to!

None of that parking crap for me...I live close enough that I'm taking the train every day. $16 each way and no hotel room expense....more money for swag.

the conference hotel charges 12.95 a day for interwebs....bastards

Yeah, knowing that even a $50 road-side motel gives that for free.

But...we get wireless access for free in the lobby and all conference areas. Just bring your tablet down with you.

The hotel doesn't have a spa either, only a pool, apparently.

For anyone who still needs a room, the Sheraton, ~10 blocks away has all level rooms for $99 a night. + tax of course.

which is shocking when street parking is free :)

Yeah, knowing that even a $50 road-side motel gives that for free.

But...we get wireless access for free in the lobby and all conference areas. Just bring your tablet down with you.

The hotel doesn't have a spa either, only a pool, apparently.

For anyone who still needs a room, the Sheraton, ~10 blocks away has all level rooms for $99 a night. + tax of course.

Oh, I meant to tell you that I followed your lead and made a nametag for myself. The thing is, having a nametag with a dominatrix on it looks pretty slutty, even for me. :drunk: I may or may not actually wear it!

I have a couple of HBT stickers and I can stick one on my shirt I guess.

Oh, I meant to tell you that I followed your lead and made a nametag for myself. The thing is, having a nametag with a dominatrix on it looks pretty slutty, even for me. :drunk: I may or may not actually wear it!

I have a couple of HBT stickers and I can stick one on my shirt I guess.

:) It's just a small avatar, you're not printing it shirt size. Whether you wear it or not, you're famous already and better recognized than many a high-office politician, probably more than you would like at times. :respect:

Besides, the whip is needed to keep us patrons here at bay.

One of the things I decided to do was to tour Independence Hall. It's a shame to go to Philadelphia and not do that, but my first reservation was for Wednesday AM. Since I decided to do the DFH tour, I can't make the Wednesday tour.

I decided to ditch the Thursday afternoon seminars, and will be going to the Liberty Bell at 4 PM for the tour. I think I'll follow that up with a bite to eat at Triumph, then hustle back for the opening toast. If anybody else isn't doing Thursday seminars after the final round judging, they are welcome to join me!

:) It's just a small avatar, you're not printing it shirt size. Whether you wear it or not, you're famous already and better recognized than many a high-office politician, probably more than you would like at times. :respect:

Besides, the whip is needed to keep us patrons here at bay.

You made me do the literally LOL here! :mug:

Edit- I laughed and told Bob what you said. He laughed too, and said, "yep, a legend in your own mind".

I reminded him that everybody is famous on the internet and he agreed!

I like both of these. It'd be cool to meet other HBT folks, plus since my wife & I don't eat a lot of meat I'd be happy to hear of some non-cheesesteak options. Eating is a key part of our don't-puke-on-strangers-literally-or-verbally game plan...

If you're not much of a meat eater make sure you stop by Hip City Veg for lunch.

Denny, I am sorry for you loss.

Yooper, et al. I would not go out of my way to make it to Trimuph. If you're in the area, ok, but don't make that your destination. You will most likely be a little underwhelmed (and out of breath if hustling back from there while muttering "why did I go all the way there for that?!?"). ;)

Yooper, et al. I would not go out of my way to make it to Trimuph. If you're in the area, ok, but don't make that your destination. You will most likely be a little underwhelmed (and out of breath if hustling back from there while muttering "why did I go all the way there for that?!?"). ;)

6 to 7 years ago I used to frequent the New Hope and Princeton branches of Triumph. Those 2 bars were actually quite alright, entertainment and all. They had only a small selection of beers on tap, maybe 8 or 10 in total, and nothing that really blew my socks off, like hop forward IPAs or stouts that needed to be savored slowly. Many home brewers do better.

I had a hand-pumped Saison there a few times, and again, it was very middle of the road. It felt like they catered to the average taste bud of the masses and didn't want to possibly offend anyone. Perhaps their main outfit has better choice and some more progressive beers. Since that has been some time ago, things could have changed over the years. But I wouldn't bet on it, seeing the general consensus here.

Now Eulogy sounds like a way more interesting place.

6 to 7 years ago I used to frequent the New Hope and Princeton branches of Triumph. Those 2 bars were actually quite alright, entertainment and all. They had only a small selection of beers on tap, maybe 8 or 10 in total, and nothing that really blew my socks off, like hop forward IPAs or stouts that needed to be savored slowly. Many home brewers do better.

I had a hand-pumped Saison there a few times, and again, it was very middle of the road. It felt like they catered to the average taste bud of the masses and didn't want to possibly offend anyone. Perhaps their main outfit has better choice and some more progressive beers. Since that has been some time ago, things could have changed over the years. But I wouldn't bet on it, seeing the general consensus here.
i haven't been to a Triumph since 2009, but that's my recollection too. they make quality beers but they only rate a "decent" in terms of flavor, innovation, etc. personally i'm in no hurry to rush back there, what with all the other great choices closer by.

but maybe they've changed, along with evolving palettes?

from their website:
WHAT’S ON TAP
Chocolate Milk Stout
Belgian Blond
Amber Ale
Double I.P.A.
Ctrl Alt Delete
Bengal Gold I.P.A.
Abbey Dubbel
Smoked Rye
Ordinary Bitter (hand pump)
http://www.triumphbrewing.com/philadelphia/

I'm not saying they make bad beer, just nothing I'd go out of my way for is all. Eulogy is a good place to hit though (and yes is across the street from Triumph, so you've essentially walked just as far!). The Triumph in New Hope seems to have had better beer recently.

The place Bru, much closer to the hotel, has had some interesting lineups lately. Plus they'll be holding a Stone event there Fri between last seminar and Club Night (Mitch will be there). And Nodding Head isn't too far away from there. Personally, I think they make better beer, albiet with a big English slant, than the Triumph. As has been mentioned already, Varga is a great bar too. Strangelove's is right there in a couple blocks as well. Can't speak for the food, but the lineups they had during Philly Beer Week were pretty damn good.

from their website:
WHAT’S ON TAP
Chocolate Milk Stout
Belgian Blond
Amber Ale
Double I.P.A.
Ctrl Alt Delete
Bengal Gold I.P.A.
Abbey Dubbel
Smoked Rye
Ordinary Bitter (hand pump)
http://www.triumphbrewing.com/philadelphia/

Yeah, that looks familiar. The bolded ones I've had and were not impressive at the time. Not sure about the Ctrl Alt Delete.

Does this make you wonder why they don't put a real cask of ESB on the hand pump or a refreshingly crisp Saison? Something you say "ahhhh!" to and go back for another one.

Denny, I am sorry for you loss.

Yes, I agree!

That's why I'm planning on changing plans and going on Thursday, because I'm touring Independence Hall at 4 PM and it's close. I love to walk, and am pretty fit- but Yoopers don't like hot humid weather and I might be pretty well baked from the walk!

Let's all plan something for Friday lunch or dinner, or Saturday for those of us not going to the banquet.

Aside from the scheduled DFH tour and the BNA8 party, I really don't have anything really scheduled. I can skip the Independence Hall tour, but I just thought that is something I'd really like to do if I can squeeze it in.

Let's all plan something for Friday lunch or dinner, or Saturday for those of us not going to the banquet.

Friday is good for me. My wife has to work until noon on Thurs. so we won't be down until 4 PM or so.

As first timers, we have tickets to the banquet to see what it is all about - and just maybe walk out the door with something.....

Friday is good for me. My wife has to work until noon on Thurs. so we won't be down until 4 PM or so.

As first timers, we have tickets to the banquet to see what it is all about - and just maybe walk out the door with something.....

Friday works for me. I will unfortunately be leaving the area bright and early Sat morning to head to Rochester NY. Have to help get the dock in the water before the big party on the 4th...

That said, whatever the general consensus agrees to is a-ok.

Yes, I agree!

That's why I'm planning on changing plans and going on Thursday, because I'm touring Independence Hall at 4 PM and it's close. I love to walk, and am pretty fit- but Yoopers don't like hot humid weather and I might be pretty well baked from the walk!

Well, you are SOL on the heat and humidity this week. :p Highs of the mid 90's with 90% humidity all week long.

I would check out this site: http://www.recreation.gov/tourDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=77815&tourId=212619&cat=1

While the tour of Independence Hall is free, you do need a ticket and they do go quickly during the summer months (first come, first served unless using the link above). You can reserve yours at a time you think you'll be down there. It is a very cool tour (having done it multiple times with different family members that come to visit the city, I've yet to see the same lecture twice!). However, if you want to stay cool, I highly recommend the Eastern St Penitentiary tour (not just for yourself, but for anyone who's significant other is coming along). It's pretty interesting, and the place stays relatively cool due to all the cement.

There is the Mutter Museum, if you're into medical oddities. And of course the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Franklin Institute is pretty interesting too. Those are all at least air conditioned. ;)

Latest posts

Back